Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th May 2012, 11:38   #11161  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibicki View Post
Quote:
DC-Bass Source Mod doesn't support "containered" audio formats (AVI, MPG, MP4 or MKV). You'd need LAV Filters for that.
DC-Bass Source Mod may help. It looks to be based on a different decoder than Lav Audio. I am curious. Can Lav split the audio for BASS to decode or is audio required to be in seperate files for Bass source filter?
DC-Bass Source Mod is a source filter, hence it will never connect to LAV Splitter as a decoder filter. But why would you want to split a file based on ffmpeg and decode based on BASS anyway?
MP4-files with only audio inside DC-Bass Source Mod does except though. Will update documentation accordingly next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
Why ? Almost audio formats used by BASS are already supported by libav libraries...
Except for CD Audio, OptimFROG, TAK and Tracker Audio.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:12   #11162  |  Link
06_taro
soy sauce buyer

Not really nightly: http://www.mediafire.com/?bhekka48wl5d9
06_taro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 14:08   #11163  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_taro View Post
Many
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 15:22   #11164  |  Link
rack04

I am attempting to use LAVFilters with MPC-HC without registering LAV Splitter, LAV Audio Decoder, and LAV Video Decoder. I add the .ax files to MPC-HC external filters list and set to preferred. MPC-HC immediately crashes when I open a media file. If I remove the LAV Splitter and use the internal MPC-HC splitters it works. Any idea why LAV Splitter cannot be used without registering?
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 20:54   #11165  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I am attempting to use LAVFilters with MPC-HC without registering LAV Splitter, LAV Audio Decoder, and LAV Video Decoder. I add the .ax files to MPC-HC external filters list and set to preferred. MPC-HC immediately crashes when I open a media file. If I remove the LAV Splitter and use the internal MPC-HC splitters it works. Any idea why LAV Splitter cannot be used without registering?
It worked for me:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...1&postcount=13
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 22:27   #11166  |  Link
lordkag

If anyone can test and share some results. I have a VP2 card (9600M GT) and I'm seeing something weird in latest build 2856720555a9. No Cuvid or DXVA Native (it switches to software - avcodec), just DXVA Copy-back working. But if I have aggressive deinterlacing on, it will double the framerate, no matter the content I play. I tested all three builds posted earlier, same result.
Nev, thanks for all the tremendous (and may I add benevolent) work. It's the least a person can do for getting free and updated software, without imposing selfish-obtrusive requests.
If it's something wrong only on my side, please enlighten!
lordkag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 09:14   #11167  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
From using LAV, I can conclude that the only three things missing are performance options (and help), DVD support, and linked MKV support.
LAV works well otherwise with my systems.

I apologize if I don't understand the discussion ATM.
I'm on the opinion of nevcairiel. Use a less complex format or less quality for older hardware. There is point in reducing something to levels of an inferior format.

I think a number of other mkv features are missing too. Like recently I tried the crop flag but it didn't do anything. I also remember matroska editions.

Last edited by mzso; 30th May 2012 at 09:17.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 10:56   #11168  |  Link
pokazene_maslo

Hello.
I would like to request for FFT3DGPU filter integration into LAV. Yes, it's an avisynth plugin, but afaik it's opensource so maybe it wouldn't be so hard just to take the denoising code and place it into LAV without that avisynth API. These days GPUs are powerful enough to process such denoising in realtime.
If this is successful for next step i would like to have complete QTGMC deinterlacing with FFT3DGPU for noise processing
pokazene_maslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 11:10   #11169  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I think a number of other mkv features are missing too. Like recently I tried the crop flag but it didn't do anything.
Cropping should be specified in the video bitstream, its nothing a container should even try to manage, because there are quite some limitations on how thats communicated from splitter to decoder.

Did the splitter just get the video dimensions wrong, or does it want the video to be cropped?
Most of the time, its just wrong
Old 30th May 2012, 12:15   #11170  |  Link
shimaflarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The point is, i will never implement any feature that would degrade quality on purpose, for whatever reason there might be.
The biggest problem with that is that people mis-interpet such options and then turn them on - and then come and complain! "But i only turned on skip deblocking when safe, it said it was safe!"
...than change the label text to "skip deblocking on B-frames (will degrade quality)" or something like that? Or add an "hide advanced options" and keep it enabled by default?
There you go, the "biggest" problem is easily solved like that.

Removing features to keep it noob safe is just plain stupid.
You might as well remove the option to treat progressive frames as interleaved or the DXVA CB option then, as it will avoid some issues like "why is the video so crappy looking" or "why is DXVA so slow on my ATI card?"...

My "ancient" hardware is not able to play high bitrate 10bit video, and I will lose some quality re-encoding, so I'd rather lose it during playback instead...
shimaflarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:17   #11171  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimaflarex View Post
Removing features to keep it noob safe is just plain stupid
I did not remove anything, the feature was never there.
The point is that deblocking is a *vital* part of the H264 decoding process, and watching a movie with it disabled will probably look much much worse then one re-encoded to 8-bit and/or a lower resolution.

Anyway, if you think its stupid, you're free to use ffdshow or whatever decoder you prefer.

Have a good day.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th May 2012 at 12:23.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:27   #11172  |  Link
shimaflarex

Quote:
The point is that deblocking is a *vital* part of the H264 decoding process, and watching a movie with it disabled will probably look much much worse then one re-encoded to 8-bit and/or a lower resolution.
>probably
H264 video playback with skipping deblocking "when safe" still look very good, see it on ffdshow if you have time...

Quote:
Have a good day.
Kinda rude eh?
If you were offended by my post I apologize (probably because I used the word 'stupid'?), it was not my intention :/

Last edited by shimaflarex; 30th May 2012 at 12:48.
shimaflarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:36   #11173  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkag View Post
If anyone can test and share some results. I have a VP2 card (9600M GT) and I'm seeing something weird in latest build 2856720555a9. No Cuvid or DXVA Native (it switches to software - avcodec), just DXVA Copy-back working. But if I have aggressive deinterlacing on, it will double the framerate, no matter the content I play. I tested all three builds posted earlier, same result.
Nev, thanks for all the tremendous (and may I add benevolent) work. It's the least a person can do for getting free and updated software, without imposing selfish-obtrusive requests.
If it's something wrong only on my side, please enlighten!
I'm also using a VP2 card (although I'm not doing any deinterlacing and don't have aggressive deinterlacing enabled) and I too have noticed LAV Video falling back to avcodec on videos that I know are playable using cuvid and DXVA2 (native) as I've done so previously so I tried out some old builds and the regression was introduced somewhere between revisions 5376865797ce and 2856720555a9.

Unfortunately I can't narrow it down any further as I don't have Visual Studio to build LAV myself and those were the two closest builds available at xhmikosr.1f0.de.

I'll try and figure out how to cut videos and get some small samples if needed, they're progressive h.264.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 12:44   #11174  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golagoda View Post
I too have noticed LAV Video falling back to avcodec on videos that I know are playable using cuvid and DXVA2 (native) as I've done so previously so I tried out some old builds and the regression was introduced somewhere between revisions 5376865797ce and 2856720555a9.
I think i know what broke it, i'll take a look in a few hours.

Edit:
Fixed locally, will commit it soon.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th May 2012 at 13:14.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:01   #11175  |  Link
Xaurus

nev,

I can't test it right now but LAV doesn't decode Sorenson video right?
Old 30th May 2012, 16:04   #11176  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

It should work.
Go try such things before asking :P
Old 30th May 2012, 16:20   #11177  |  Link
Hera
.NET Web App Dev

Quote:
I did not remove anything, the feature was never there.

Anyway, if you think its stupid, you're free to use ffdshow or whatever decoder you prefer.

Have a good day.
?

Some sort of deblocking control to alleviate CPU saturation is pretty much a standard feature in all professional-level decoders.

You are showing a high level of immaturity.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:30   #11178  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
You are showing a high level of immaturity.
Because insulting me and my work will make me bend to your will, right?

Is it just me, or is the troll level higher the last week or so.
I already made my opinion clear, LAV aims at high quality decoding, and options that only reduce quality do not serve that purpose.
If you don't like that, use something else.

While it is possible that i may one day add such options (never rule something out completely, right?), i rather spent the little time i have for this project on actually useful features.
If i have to spend my time arguing with people about their opinions on whats "useful" (to them), i won't get anything done, so i will just not. I'll work on what is fun to work on, and i consider useful/important, and thats that.

You're free to request a feature, if you don't want it to get forgotten you can even enter it on the bug tracker on google code, but you should not expect every feature to be implemented, just because someone asked for it.
You're also free to submit a patch for a feature you feel strongly about (and i don't), if its done properly i will most likely even accept it (and if its not, probably tell you what to change)

In any case, do not expect me to implement those options, even if i do one day, it won't be anytime soon, the TODO list is long enough as it is.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th May 2012 at 16:53.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:59   #11179  |  Link

@Hera

Ad-hominems are not tolerated here. Stop it or expect consequences. Thank you.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 17:00   #11180  |  Link
Sebastiii

+1 for nev

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter