Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th March 2006, 12:51   #21  |  Link
breez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh
For WMV9, btw, check post-processing options in it.
Not sure how to do it. In WMP10 options I have disabled "Use video smoothing" under Video Acceleration -> Advanced for long time. Is this it?

Quote:
What is your CPU and ffdshow build btw? 20% for just passthru seems to be a bit too much. 10% would be more sensible, imo.
1900MHz Athlon XP. Previously used 21. december build and went back to Milan's latest compiled build from 29. november. The 20% rise only happens with these WMV9 in avi files AVC in MKV is fine (same resolution, framerate and colorspace) with CoreAVC being the decoder (so ffdshow's role is the same as with the WMV9 files).

Quote:
so what is displayed in filters submenu exactly if haali renderer is working? just "video renderer"? I wonder why the renderer should run on my old matrox g400...
It says "Haali's Video Renderer".
breez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 20:42   #22  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt
so what is displayed in filters submenu exactly if haali renderer is working? just "video renderer"? I wonder why the renderer should run on my old matrox g400...
"Video renderer" is old pre VMR renderer :O

Haali renderer should be displayed in the "Filters" submenu on playback, if it's working
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 20:49   #23  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by breez
Not sure how to do it. In WMP10 options I have disabled "Use video smoothing" under Video Acceleration -> Advanced for long time. Is this it?
Truth being said, I don't know I would trust old ways more anyhow. I.e. either registry tweakening or downloading program which does it for you. "WMVPostpross.exe" is the name. Link for it was somewhere on doom9, along with instructions how to do essentially same thing but manually altering registry values.

Since PP complexity is directly linked with pixels per frame, disabling PP in WMV9 gives HUEG boost in speed on hdtv resolutions. I.e. with my athlon XP i couldn't watch some 1024*576 wmv9 videos withouth framedropping. Until i disabled PP. Then CPU % dropped considerably, effectively being not so much over XVid.

Quote:
1900MHz Athlon XP. Previously used 21. december build and went back to Milan's latest compiled build from 29. november. The 20% rise only happens with these WMV9 in avi files AVC in MKV is fine (same resolution, framerate and colorspace) with CoreAVC being the decoder (so ffdshow's role is the same as with the WMV9 files).
Hmm... Strange. I NEVER had any problems with b0b0rs 1221 build. Sure you use his build? (SSE1 only on x264.nl). And try kuroshi SSE Athlon builds as well (but they have some problems, as I noted in ffdshow builds thread).

Sure it's WMV Decode which does WMV decoding? And which colorspace is ffdshow receiving?
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 20:51   #24  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh
"Video renderer" is old pre VMR renderer :O

Haali renderer should be displayed in the "Filters" submenu on playback, if it's working
ok, thank you both for clearing things up... (even if I don't like it )
Old 5th March 2006, 21:23   #25  |  Link
breez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egh
Truth being said, I don't know I would trust old ways more anyhow. I.e. either registry tweakening or downloading program which does it for you. "WMVPostpross.exe" is the name. Link for it was somewhere on doom9, along with instructions how to do essentially same thing but manually altering registry values.

Since PP complexity is directly linked with pixels per frame, disabling PP in WMV9 gives HUEG boost in speed on hdtv resolutions. I.e. with my athlon XP i couldn't watch some 1024*576 wmv9 videos withouth framedropping. Until i disabled PP. Then CPU % dropped considerably, effectively being not so much over XVid.
Found the WMVPostpross.exe. There is a difference in CPU usage, but the 100% @ fullscreen resize remains.

Quote:
Hmm... Strange. I NEVER had any problems with b0b0rs 1221 build. Sure you use his build? (SSE1 only on x264.nl). And try kuroshi SSE Athlon builds as well (but they have some problems, as I noted in ffdshow builds thread).
Can't remember off hand if it was b0b0r's build or not, but it was a fast build and worked very well with my AXP. Note, the strange behavior is also present with the Milan's 29. nov build (which to me seems very stable). I'll try some other builds.

Quote:
Sure it's WMV Decode which does WMV decoding? And which colorspace is ffdshow receiving?
Yup, "WMVideo Decoder DMO" in the filters list and ffdshow receives YV12 as expected (encode source from DVD).
Old 5th March 2006, 22:02   #26  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by roytam1
Edit: Opening video with haali's renderer is very slow comparing with M$ VMR9 Mixing Renderer.
Yes, same here, aprox. 3-4 sec. Geforce 6600GT, driver 81.85, MPC 6.4.8.8
Is it right ? (maybe because of desing ?)

Quote:
1080P H.264 clip decoded by CoreAVC and shown using Haali renderer gives me a picture with the resolution 960x540 (desktop resolution is 1280x1024).
Same here with a *.ts file: contains a MPEG2 video ...
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 22:27   #27  |  Link
breez

I presume the slow startup is because of buffering. Try setting the amount of buffering lower in Haali Video Renderer properties (click on it in the filters list).
Old 5th March 2006, 22:29   #28  |  Link
Oline 61

So this renderer properly scales the chroma in YV12 (4:2:0) so that you don't get the jaggies?
I have a 6600GT, so no RGB overlay, and VMR9 does a 0-255 -> 16-235 conversion that washes out the video. MY only choice is to convert to RGB and use VMR9, but then I have to switch to Overlay for non RGB sources!
Oline 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 22:38   #29  |  Link
breez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oline 61
So this renderer properly scales the chroma in YV12 (4:2:0) so that you don't get the jaggies?
Yup.

EDIT: Ah, actually the renderer doesn't support YV12 at all. I guess the YUY2 > RGB is done without such mistakes though.

Quote:
I have a 6600GT, so no RGB overlay, and VMR9 does a 0-255 -> 16-235 conversion that washes out the video. MY only choice is to convert to RGB and use VMR9, but then I have to switch to Overlay for non RGB sources!
Not to be a nitpicker, but it is really the other way around, the possible conversion is from 16-235 -> 0-255 (since the levels in video are originally 16-235).

You could try the latest forceware 84.12, reportedly nvidia changed the behavior with these drivers and 16-235 -> 0-255 conversion is done with VMR9 (ppl at avsforum weren't too happy).

Last edited by breez; 5th March 2006 at 22:49.
Old 5th March 2006, 22:41   #30  |  Link
Oline 61

Quote:
Not to be a nitpicker, but it is really the other way around, the possible conversion is from 16-235 -> 0-255 (since the levels in video are originally 16-235).

You could try the latest forceware 84.12, reportedly nvidia changed the behavior with these drivers and 16-235 -> 0-255 conversion is done with VMR9 (ppl at avsforum weren't too happy).
Okay, I am on Forceware 81.98 and it does do a 16-235 -> 0-255 conversion, making the video look washed out. Are you saying that 84.12 doesn't do the conversion or that it does do the conversion? My current setup does do the conversion.
Old 5th March 2006, 22:45   #31  |  Link
breez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oline 61
Okay, I am on Forceware 81.98 and it does do a 16-235 -> 0-255 conversion, making the video look washed out. Are you saying that 84.12 doesn't do the conversion or that it does do the conversion? My current setup does do the conversion.
In my experience, not doing conversion from 16-235 to 0-255 will make the video look washed out on a PC display (which expects levels 0-255). 84.12 does the conversion, previous drivers do not (AFAIK).
Old 5th March 2006, 22:45   #32  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Where is download for Haali Renderer?
Old 5th March 2006, 22:46   #33  |  Link
breez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR
Where is download for Haali Renderer?
It is included with latest Haali media splitter.
Old 5th March 2006, 22:47   #34  |  Link
Oline 61

Okay, I'll give 84.12 a shot.
Old 5th March 2006, 22:51   #35  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros
... resizing hd video ...
Same here with a *.ts file: contains a MPEG2 video ...
BTW: perhaps it's a feature !
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 22:53   #36  |  Link
breez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros
BTW: perhaps it's a feature !
Could be But users probably want such a feature to be an option.
Old 5th March 2006, 22:54   #37  |  Link
JarrettH

Can't use my ffdshow with it :/
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2006, 23:21   #38  |  Link
Oline 61

Thanks, breez, 84.12 solves the problem completely. That simplifies my video playback experience a great deal.
Old 6th March 2006, 00:13   #39  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
It is included with latest Haali media splitter.
I have the latest Haali Media Splitter, but how to enable the Renderer?
Old 6th March 2006, 00:15   #40  |  Link
breez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR
I have the latest Haali Media Splitter, but how to enable it?
You need a recent MPC (6.4.8.8 was just released). You can choose Haali renderer from the options (Output).

Tags
haali, haali renderer