Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 8th August 2017, 08:34   #22041  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The issue was that DXVA2 wasn't used at all, and that issue is resolved. If you're seeing anything else, its likely your setup.
There haven't been any changes other to how DXVA2 is started - which resulted in it not being used in a few rare cases - but once its setup it still behaves just like it did in 0.70.2 and before. So if you confirm that DXVA2 is actually in use, then there are no differences to before.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 8th August 2017 at 08:44.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 10:38   #22042  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The issue was that DXVA2 wasn't used at all, and that issue is resolved. If you're seeing anything else, its likely your setup.
There haven't been any changes other to how DXVA2 is started - which resulted in it not being used in a few rare cases - but once its setup it still behaves just like it did in 0.70.2 and before. So if you confirm that DXVA2 is actually in use, then there are no differences to before.
It is active.
For now changing to NVIDIA CUVID solves the issue completely.
I'm not sure what could be wrong with my setup. It worked fine with DXVA2 before I updated nvidia driver, LAV and madVR to latest versions.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 10:40   #22043  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Well if you upgrade 3 components in one go, then isolating the problem to one particular component should be the first step, instead of randomly guessing what might be to blame.
The NVIDIA drivers also sometimes reset their power management on upgrades, it should be Adaptive at least, Optimimum Power is too aggressive in power savings. CUVID can work around that particular issue by forcing the GPU into max power mode (which is a sideeffect of using CUDA).
Old 10th August 2017, 03:15   #22044  |  Link
rack04

What determines audio sync? I've noticed for the past couple of weeks that the audio and video become out of sync using the latest madVR, LAV Filters, and MPC-BE. If I skip to a place in the video the audio gets back in sync with the video. I'm not experiencing dropped frames with madVR. Which program would set this sync? I'm viewing retail Blu-ray and DVD. Thanks.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 04:41   #22045  |  Link
ryrynz

I haven't experienced anything recently although I did about a week or so ago but I'm always updating.. Not sure if it was the media or something else but it appears it's gone/fixed now. Grab the latest nightly lav and Mpc-be.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 09:37   #22046  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
What determines audio sync? I've noticed for the past couple of weeks that the audio and video become out of sync using the latest madVR, LAV Filters, and MPC-BE. If I skip to a place in the video the audio gets back in sync with the video. I'm not experiencing dropped frames with madVR. Which program would set this sync? I'm viewing retail Blu-ray and DVD. Thanks.
Same here if I move the media player to another monitor/screen.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 09:58   #22047  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Sync is generally provided by the timestamps and maintained by the audio and video renderers.
Old 11th August 2017, 14:41   #22048  |  Link
Prinz

I have a problem since version: LAVFilters-0.70.2-10

DTS Bitstreaming results in very choppy playback, MadVR says suddenly clock derivation 30 - 50% and it's visibility dropping frames every second. Installing LAVFilters-0.70.2-8 or previous everything works fine and i get only 1 frame drop every few hours and clock derivation is again ok in MadVR OSD.

AC3 Bitstreaming hasn't this problem and works fine in current LAV too.

Using Nvidia 1060 via HDMI to AVR/TV.
Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 15:23   #22049  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinz View Post
DTS Bitstreaming results in very choppy playback, MadVR says suddenly clock derivation 30 - 50% and it's visibility dropping frames every second. Installing LAVFilters-0.70.2-8 or previous everything works fine and i get only 1 frame drop every few hours and clock derivation is again ok in MadVR OSD.
This should be fixed in the next build.
Thanks for testing and reporting.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 11th August 2017 at 15:27.
Old 12th August 2017, 14:55   #22050  |  Link
clsid

Is the D3D11 hw decoder supposed to be working yet? If so, what are its requirements and benefits?
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 14:59   #22051  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

It probably requires Windows 8 or newer, but should otherwise work. Its unclear yet if it can be made work on 7 properly. More details will be announced later.
Old 12th August 2017, 15:10   #22052  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I believe it will only work in Windows 8+, based on this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Quote:
DXGI_FORMAT_NV12

[...]

Direct3D 11.1: This value is not supported until Windows 8.
However, some of the things that used to only work on Windows 8, are working in Windows 7 after having installed the Platform Update, so it's not 100% clear just yet. But my guesstimate is that it won't work in Windows 7.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 15:41   #22053  |  Link
clsid

It doesn't work here on 7 (with platform update).
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 15:43   #22054  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

To get it to work on 7 at all you can load the decoder through the d3d11 api with a DX 9.3 profile, the DX11.1 profile doesn't work on 7. Alas, this is not done. But I do not know if it would still break on creating NV12 textures, though.
In any case, I need to setup 7 on an actual hardware box to see about this at a later time.
Old 12th August 2017, 16:44   #22055  |  Link
el Filou

Hi nev, does that mean we'll be able to use that decoder to get bit exact quality chroma input with madVR without having to use DXVA2 Copy-Back?
DXVA2 Copy-Back suffers from much lower decode performance on my old system (can't watch 4K50/60), even with a modern graphics card, so that would be awesome news.
Old 12th August 2017, 19:07   #22056  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Well if you upgrade 3 components in one go, then isolating the problem to one particular component should be the first step, instead of randomly guessing what might be to blame.
The NVIDIA drivers also sometimes reset their power management on upgrades, it should be Adaptive at least, Optimimum Power is too aggressive in power savings. CUVID can work around that particular issue by forcing the GPU into max power mode (which is a sideeffect of using CUDA).
It was the 8-bit H264 -> 10-bit P010 output format conversion.
Enabling 8-Bit NV12 output format solved the DXVA2 (copy-back) issue.

Last edited by FDisk80; 12th August 2017 at 19:11.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 21:05   #22057  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
It was the 8-bit H264 -> 10-bit P010 output format conversion.
Enabling 8-Bit NV12 output format solved the DXVA2 (copy-back) issue.
That might do it. It would disable direct mode, which increases performance cost, on top of needing extra processing anyway.

Its always best to output as close to the original as you can (basically, don't turn stuff off).

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th August 2017 at 21:08.
Old 12th August 2017, 22:18   #22058  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
DXVA2 Copy-Back suffers from much lower decode performance on my old system (can't watch 4K50/60), even with a modern graphics card, so that would be awesome news.
Grab the nightly and test.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 22:20   #22059  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Clearly such a feature would require support in the renderer as well, so watch out for that. Without that, it only does copy-back, although it appears even to be a tad bit faster then DXVA2-CB, not that this would really matter in playback scenarios.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th August 2017 at 22:26.
Old 16th August 2017, 15:13   #22060  |  Link
DragonQ

I currently have a Celeron G530 (2c/2t Sandy Bridge @ 2.4 GHz) in my HTPC, which is used pretty much only for HEVC playback since my GT 430 handles MPEG2, MPEG4, and AVC. I have a Celeron G1620 (2c/2t Ivy Bridge @ 2.7 GHz) in my file server. I also have a spare Core i3-3220 (2c/4t Ivy Bridge @ 3.3 GHz), which I want to put into one of those two systems, depending on where it'd be most useful. Would there be any benefit in terms of improved HEVC decoding ability if I put either the Core i3-3320 into the HTPC? For example, being able to handle higher bit rates or colour depths? I'm struggling to find benchmarks of software HEVC decoding using avcodec.

EDIT: If there's a better thread to ask this in please let me know.

Last edited by DragonQ; 16th August 2017 at 15:15.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter