Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2010, 16:03   #101  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The readme mentions that it is needed to uninstall Haali. That is actually not needed at all. Simply use this registry key to enable use of LAVFSplitter:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions\.mkv]
"Source Filter"="{B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}"
I didn't want to do this, because it would result in the same shit that Haali is doing, and overriding any merit decisions the filter manager trys to do. It forces it to be used, which i don't really like.
I tried to set the registration process to delete those keys, but apparently that didn't work (yet)

Quote:
May I suggest to enable runtime CPU detect and not force compilation for a specific CPU type. The filter currently does not work on older CPUs.
I've had it on for 0.1-0.4, but disabled it for 0.5. There isn't any asm code in the demuxers, and the compiler flags are set for cpus that at least have SSE, which should be reasonable. Runtime CPU detect only works for the inline asm functions in ffmpeg, which don't really exist in avformat, afaik.

On what system did it fail for you?

If its really an issue for many people i could turn SSE off as well, but SSE introduces a new floating point calculator, and optimized memcpy/memmove, which it uses quite alot to shuffle the data around.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 20th August 2010 at 16:40.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 18:35   #102  |  Link
clsid

It does delete that key during registration.
One reason why I personally like that key is because it allows to specify the desired splitters for specific file extensions. That's particularly useful when there are multiple splitters installed. It gives more freedom than the merit system alone.

It failed on an old Athlon CPU that hasn't got SSE. Such old systems are not very common anymore, so I can understand if you don't want to support them. I was just asking in case there was little performance difference.
Old 20th August 2010, 18:40   #103  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
One reason why I personally like that key is because it allows to specify the desired splitters for specific file extensions. That's particularly useful when there are multiple splitters installed. It gives more freedom than the merit system alone.
I can probably do this with an installer at some point, so the user has a choice during installation. Can't really ask the users wishes with regsvr32 call, can i.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:07   #104  |  Link
Underground78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I setup a google code project. Even though it doesn't support Git right now, i like their bug tracking and overall design. Maybe they'll add Git eventually, until then, Code stays on my own server.

Please report your issues on the project page, thanks!

http://code.google.com/p/lavfsplitter/issues/list

Oh, i already posted some issues that i had on my list, so please check for duplicates before posting! =)
Good, it will make reporting easier ! Does reporting issues about TS File is useful even if it is not your priority ?
Underground78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 19:19   #105  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

As long as its not duration related, sure.
Old 21st August 2010, 06:46   #106  |  Link
LloydA

Quote:
I setup a google code project. Even though it doesn't support Git right now, i like their bug tracking and overall design. Maybe they'll add Git eventually, until then, Code stays on my own server.

Please report your issues on the project page, thanks!

http://code.google.com/p/lavfsplitter/issues/list

Oh, i already posted some issues that i had on my list, so please check for duplicates before posting! =)
Out of curiosity, why aren't you using GitHub? It has all the features of Google Code, and then some more. It's free for open-source projects, has notification hooks for all popular services, issue-tracking, wiki for documentation, web-based editing when you're on the road, and much more.
LloydA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 06:47   #107  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydA View Post
Out of curiosity, why aren't you using GitHub? It has all the features of Google Code, and then some more. It's free for open-source projects, has notification hooks for all popular services, issue-tracking, wiki for documentation, web-based editing when you're on the road, and much more.
I don't like their bug tracker. Its too simple. And google has the advantage that most people already have an account there, so its easier for everyone to report and respond to bugs.
Old 21st August 2010, 07:15   #108  |  Link
LloydA

Quote:
I don't like their bug tracker. Its too simple.
Many don't know this, but with the "Labels" feature of GitHub you can assign "Type", "Status" and "Priority" metrics just like in Google Code, with the added flexibility that you can define infinitely more steps. What else do you miss in GitHub?

Quote:
And google has the advantage that most people already have an account there, so its easier for everyone to report and respond to bugs.
Many people, myself included, have separate accounts for different activities with Google services, so in all likelihood you'd have to switch your Google account when using the Issue tracker. So it doesn't make much of a difference having Yet Another Account for GitHub. Plus, signing up there is really quick.

But fair enough. I hope you'll review your decision down the road, GitHub makes collaborative work much easier and less painful when you look at the whole feature set.
Old 21st August 2010, 07:21   #109  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Has GitHub proper bugtracker repository integration? Like, i include the bug number in the commit message, and the commit shows up in the associated bug?
Old 21st August 2010, 07:44   #110  |  Link
LloydA

Yes, and the issue/bug will also auto-link to the commit, and the commit will auto-link to the issue. Example: http://github.com/dbloete/ioctocat/issues/issue/20 (not mine)

Last edited by LloydA; 21st August 2010 at 08:04.
Old 21st August 2010, 10:07   #111  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Since someone else also advocated for GitHub, i moved everything there before too many people find the gcode project.

You can find the project now on GitHub: http://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFSplitter
Please also report issues there, thanks!

Once again i copied the bugs from the gcode project over, in addition to the bugs i filled myself from feedback in this thread.
Old 21st August 2010, 20:00   #112  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Good news, i think i found a solution to the stuttering-at-startup problem. I'm not 100% sure its the right thing to do, but it seems like a sane change, so i guess we'll see in the next version how it behaves.

I also found some serious memory leaks that could've easily caused the crash issues people have been reporting, so i'm looking forward to feedback for 0.6, which will be out tomorrow i guess, still some things to fix =)
Old 21st August 2010, 23:13   #113  |  Link
Sebastiii

Thank you great news need to give a try
Seb.
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:51   #114  |  Link
XhmikosR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XhmikosR View Post
Does anybody know why the splitter cannot be registered with Inno Setup? Using a simple script like this fails with a RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3 message.
Anyone?

EDIT: Never mind, just tried it with the latest git and it successfully registers.

Last edited by XhmikosR; 22nd August 2010 at 10:56.
XhmikosR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:12   #115  |  Link
Underground78

Code:
Compiling
=============================
Compiling is pretty straight forward using VC++2010 (included project files).
It does, however, require that you build your own ffmpeg.
You need to place the full ffmpeg package in a directory called "ffmpeg" in the 
main source directory (the directory this file was in). There are scripts to 
build a proper ffmpeg included.

I recommend using my fork of ffmpeg, as it includes additional patches for 
media compatibility:
http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=ffmpeg.git;a=summary
I am probably doing something wrong but I fail building ffmpeg lib ... In fact, "lib.exe" is not found and I do not know how to get it. I have found one "lib.exe" in "Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin" but it looks like it not the good one.

Last edited by Underground78; 22nd August 2010 at 15:12. Reason: typo
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:14   #116  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You need to add that the folder where the lib.exe is in into your path, obviously.

There is a batch file that should do that for you and start building

http://xhmikosr.1f0.de/patches/lavfsplitter/build.bat
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:26   #117  |  Link
Underground78

Using vcvars32.bat has solved the problem. I previously had added "...\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin" in the path but it was not sufficient. Thanks !
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:22   #118  |  Link
rack04

Can someone please explain how to use this splitter with MPC-HC. Haali keeps being used even though I have set it to block in MPC-HC external filters and LAVFsplitter as preferred.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:41   #119  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Haali is a bit stupid, you need to unregister (=uninstall) it, or it'll always be preferred. I have yet to find a easy way to disable its "always preferred"-ness..
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:57   #120  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Haali is a bit stupid, you need to unregister (=uninstall) it, or it'll always be preferred. I have yet to find a easy way to disable its "always preferred"-ness..
Thanks for the information. When playing a file in MPC-HC how can I verify that the LAVFSplitter is being used?
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter