Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 7th March 2008, 04:18   #41  |  Link
bertox

Try to search for Chris in the Hydrogenaudio forums..
bertox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 14:57   #42  |  Link
LogicDeLuxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk32 View Post
It's certainly feasible to create an encoder that supports the same features that the decoder currently does. The only non trivial point would be to produce a good dithering system, ideally as close to the one used in the original encoders, although I expect a little bit of reading would make this fairly simple.
Couldn't you just make it read a separate dither wav file, so the encoder don't have to generate it for itself?
Old 7th September 2008, 20:15   #43  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Just to let you guys know: Chris has been so kind to let me use his HDCD decoder in my eac3to software:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 13:22   #44  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

just used it on my HDCD copy of "In The Court Of King Crimson"....results are most impressive

it's like the regular CDDA copy was overcompressed.....and now sounds perfect on my MDR-CD3000 reference headphones

now off to find more HDCD to rip

Last edited by leeperry; 5th January 2009 at 13:43.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 03:07   #45  |  Link
henryho_hk

I wrote a summary on foobar setup for HDCD decode:

http://www.mingo-hmw.com/forum/viewt...extra=page%3D1
henryho_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:33   #46  |  Link
jolson

What one with all his CD's ripped to a music server would need is a "HDCD Check Spider" that gets a top folder as input and outputs a nice list of all HDCD tracks in the subfolders in a log file. This without the "An error occured while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 0; please re-check parameters)" using HDCD.exe in Foobar, and without the time-consuming thrown-away conversion. (I'm not sure I recall correctly, but does HDCD.exe always decode each track even if you just want to know if the track is HDCD-enabled? Does it have to, or is it just something the author hasn't found to be a problem?)
jolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:54   #47  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

You can use "eac3to some.wav" or "eac3to some.flac". It will just look at the file, decode/read in the first few samples and then tell you whether it's HDCD or not.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 00:00   #48  |  Link
chairlgmc
chairlgmc

A Small thank you

Just a quick note to Chris , Madshi and the rest of you to let you know that i am now enjoying joni with the little bit extra the hdcd brings.

and I only had to learn command line skills!

Thank you all

Anthony
chairlgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 13:10   #49  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

I wish there was a way to do batch conversion for full albums, but well it's already awesome that it exists

dBpoweramp also does HDCD apparently, so it might be a better option when you got many albums to decode
Old 9th February 2009, 06:30   #50  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolson View Post
What one with all his CD's ripped to a music server would need is a "HDCD Check Spider" that gets a top folder as input and outputs a nice list of all HDCD tracks in the subfolders in a log file.
Just read this and was intrigued, so I knocked up a batch script. I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had two HDCDs I never knew I had! Beck and the Beach Boys. So thanks very much to Chris and Madshi for their work on this.

Anyway, in the off-chance that anyone else finds it useful the script is below. It uses Madshi's all-conquering eac3to tool so you'll need that too. The script is not very smart. It assumes that eac3to will output a line to it's log that looks like
FLAC, something, something, something <HDCD>, something...
If this changes it won't work.

Save the text with notepad to a .cmd file (say hdcd.cmd) to the desktop or wherever, changing the set eac3to= line to your eac3to path, and the set type= line to wav if your music isn't flac. Then drag your top music folder onto the script icon and wait... Or test on a small folder of flac files first of course.

It will output two text files - one (probably very big) with non-HDCD filenames and one (probably very small) with the HDCD filenames.

NB. This works for me on WinXP. I don't know enough about batch scripts to know whether this works on Vista or not.

Code:
::-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:: Check files for HDCD encoding
:: Writes two text files to source directory - hdcd files.txt and non hdcd files.txt
::-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off

:: change these two
set eac3to=D:\Vtemp\programs\eac3to\eac3to.exe
set type=flac

:: set other variables and create new files
set sourcedir=%1
set sourcedir=%sourcedir:"= %
if "%sourcedir:~0,1%"==" " set sourcedir=%sourcedir:~1,-1%
echo HDCD files>"%sourcedir%\hdcd files.txt"
echo non HDCD files>"%sourcedir%\non hdcd files.txt"
if exist "%sourcedir%\eac3to.log" del "%sourcedir%\eac3to.log"

for /f "usebackq tokens=1 delims=" %%A in (`dir "%sourcedir%\*.%type%" /b /s /on`) do (
  call :sub1 "%%A"
)

pause

exit /b 0

:sub1
set inflac=%1

"%eac3to%" %inflac% -log="%sourcedir%\eac3to.log"

for /f "usebackq tokens=1-6 delims=," %%A in ("%sourcedir%\eac3to.log") do (
  if "%%A"=="FLAC" set hdcdcheck="%%D"
)

if "%hdcdcheck:~-6,-2%"=="HDCD" (
  echo %inflac%>>"%sourcedir%\hdcd files.txt"
) else (
  echo %inflac%>>"%sourcedir%\non hdcd files.txt"
)
del "%sourcedir%\eac3to.log"

exit /b 0

Last edited by TinTime; 9th February 2009 at 16:56. Reason: Changed output directory for file lists
TinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 12:46   #51  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

there's a guy on head-fi that claims that hdcd.exe doesn't completely decode the HDCD data : http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...7&postcount=13
Old 4th June 2009, 13:47   #52  |  Link
rasth
Lurker

hardware HDCD decoder, but apparently it's not for sale

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...hreadid=141108
rasth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 17:49   #53  |  Link
wowcolors

I am bringing this back from the dead.. I have been doing a ton of reading on HDCD and it seems that HDCD.exe there is question if HDCD fully decodes HDCDs

Here are some more links explaining that there is more to HDCD then what is done with this software:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...4&postcount=35
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...9&postcount=45

Here are some other helpful links that took some time to find because the sites no longer exist and you must pull them from the web archive. There are some great PDFs and technical documents on these sites:
Last Pacific Microsonics HDCD site (original creators of HDCD): http://web.archive.org/web/200101182.../www.hdcd.com/
After Microsoft's purchase of Pacific Microsonics: http://web.archive.org/web/200103012.../www.hdcd.com/
After Microsoft changed the site: http://web.archive.org/web/200505200.../www.hdcd.com/

Edit: I did not realize that the links I posted in this thread are of the same guy listed in an above post

Last edited by wowcolors; 5th November 2009 at 04:41.
wowcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 21:42   #54  |  Link
wowcolors

Here are some interesting findings from some tests I have done, it appears HDCD.exe output is different then WMP decoding of HDCDs, I am still looking into this and trying other things so I may be missing something, I will post a update after trying a few more HDCDs and chronotrom WMP wave output plugin

EDIT: My windows original direct sound capture tests shown in this post are invalid, WMP and HDCD.exe decoding of HDCD content do match when using a WMP wav out plugin, see my post below.

EDIT 2: Removed waveform as not to confuse people, see waveform in post below to see that WMP and HDCD.exe have the same output

Last edited by wowcolors; 26th November 2009 at 02:49. Reason: original test invalid, brief explanation
Old 5th November 2009, 18:32   #55  |  Link
wowcolors

Well I am happy to admit that something must be screwy with the windows direct sound capture method and HDCD.exe decoder WAV output is the same as WMP WAV output plug-in output, my first comparison is invalid.

The original CD EAC ripped WAV vs the direct sound capture of software playback of the original CD where almost identical but the same comparison done with WMP HDCD playback and HDCD.exe decoded wav were not, it may be that direct sound capture gets messed up in 24-bit. Either way the WMP wav out plug-in wav file matches the HDCD.exe decoded WAV, so it appears HDCD.exe is correctly decoding HDCD content. Attached is the waveforms and a link to the full-size screen shot.

So hope this serves as future reference to others doing comparisons or investigations into HDCD.exe decoding and clears up some of the other questions in the post above.
Attached Images

Last edited by wowcolors; 26th November 2009 at 02:48.
Old 7th November 2009, 10:54   #56  |  Link
ACrowley

@wowcolors ...HDCD.exe decoded waves look like Dynamic Range Compression
ACrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 20:28   #57  |  Link
Vick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk32 View Post
....The intention is to try to add upsampling to the code once the filter's responses are known. I'm hoping that someone with a hardware HDCD decoder (which should be upsample and switch filters) will be able to play the following test tracks through it to ascertain the impulse / frequency response,.....
Hello Chris

I have asked Ross L (post) for decoding your test tracks (transient_filter). Output file is 88.2kHz/24bit. Link: files

Unfortunately there is no difference between _nf.wav and _tf.wav files.
Can be necessary to enable bit intermittently?

Thnx
Vick
p.s. sorry for my poor english

Last edited by Vick; 7th December 2009 at 17:14. Reason: irrelevant
Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 11:36   #58  |  Link
gwir

hdcd not recognise as

Hello,

I have an hdcd (various artists for the masses) labeled hdcd, recognise by WMP as an hdcd, but the extracted wav files aren't by the tool hdcd.exe. Is it "normal"? Maybe it's related to the post of leeperry. I can post somewhere one of this files.

Thx

GwiR
gwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 10:55   #59  |  Link
Avrin

It would be nice for the utility to have a "force Peak Extend" mode (that applies the Peak Extend transform to the entire file even if it is has no Peak Extend or HDCD flags set), since there are HDCDs that are not properly flagged and/or recognized by Windows Media Player. The most famous example, probably, is the Fabulous Sound Lab release of "A Hard Day's Night". The entire series of the first six Beatles albums is mastered in HDCD using peak compression, and all CDs in the series, except AHDN, are recognized as HDCDs, and Peak Extend is properly applied during playback/decoding. The AHDN CD, despite being mastered in absolutely the same way, is not even recognized as an HDCD. Applying a rough imitation of Peak Extend in Adobe Audition makes the album sound much better. And there are other examples of CDs that would definitely benefit from forced Peak Extend

Last edited by Avrin; 2nd March 2010 at 12:23.
Avrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:31   #60  |  Link
Vick

I analyzed an image of the "A Hard Day's Night" CD too.
Results:
Please Please Me; Peak L 30922 -30921; Peak R 30923 -30923; Packets: 20066; Peak extend: Enabled
With The Beatles; Peak L 30923 -30922; Peak R 30865 -30920; Packets: 20357; Peak extend: Enabled
a hard day's night; Peak L ***** -32768; Peak R 31475 -31101; Packets: 12; Peak extend: Enabled
Beatles For Sale; Peak L 32767 -32768; Peak R 32126 -32076; Packets: 20913; Peak extend: Enabled
Help; Peak L ***** -32274; Peak R 31225 -30654; Packets: 20747; Peak extend: Enabled
Rubber Soul; Peak L ***** -31486; Peak R 30062 -30351; Packets: 21820; Peak extend: Enabled
Swedish Radio Show; Peak L ***** -32768; Peak R ***** -32768; HDCD not detected

First 2 albums normalized to exact 30923 (94.37%).
In AHDN were gone more 20000 packets (and has been normalized to 100%)
Following albums are normalized to 100% and less.
In last album were gone all packets (and has been normalized to 100% too)

Any change (volume or filtering) destroys a HDCD packets/flags, and it is not recognized as HDCD.
It's possible the mastering engineer casually normalized (changed volume) CD before its pressing.

To restore the AHDN CD, it is necessary to denormalize it and add HDCD packets.

2 Avrin: what CD is same as AHDN?

Last edited by Vick; 24th March 2010 at 12:16.
Vick is offline   Reply With Quote