Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 9th May 2002, 22:43   #161  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

avih:

As I said, I understand that the spec is initial. I was not saying I was writing an XCD player or releasing an XCD reader class. I am just writing a minimal implementation to test what already has been specified and to help identify any issuse there may be in the current draft. It is not taking long to implement this, only a few more lines of code added to what I already had and I can add support for backed up sectors. I am not shooting forward with development, I was just trying to determine how well the initial spec will hold up later on.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2002, 05:04   #162  |  Link
ChristianHJW

XCD <---> MCF
avih <---> Tronic
spyder <---> ChristianHJW

@avih : you sound like Tronic my freind ... '...no, lets finalize the specs first, then we go making first muxers/parsers..' .....

@spyder : i'd love to have some first tools to play with, just because i fully believe that the best way to improve specs is to play around and get experience, so you will notice some problems and improve the specs thereon.

Quote:
avih wrote :i'd suggest using subtitles that are embeded into the main stream, like in ogg (or mcf when it's ready).
I fully agree. In fact i was surprised to hear that there will be subtitle and chapter specs for XCD ... whats the purpose ? In real life these information will always be in the container ( AVI, OGM, MP4, MCF, QT, whatever ..) i guess ? Did i miss soemthing ?
Old 10th May 2002, 10:19   #163  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

Quote:

XCD <---> MCF
avih <---> Tronic
spyder <---> ChristianHJW

@avih : you sound like Tronic my freind ... '...no, lets finalize the specs first, then we go making first muxers/parsers..' .....
ROTFL

ps.
atm, i don't think that XCD will have subtitles and/or chapters spec because XCD is a META-container. that means that it doesn't care about stream container/content itself, but rather cares about a higher level. i.e. how do we put the streams on cd, how do we make a playlist of different streams, menus (dividivx?? ) etc. the stream container/content (+subtitles or any other parts) are the stream's responsibility. XCD will just define a method for storing such streams.

cheers
avi

Last edited by avih; 10th May 2002 at 10:44.
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2002, 22:34   #164  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

Christian:

I am glad you get my point. You may never know how well a spec stands up until it is implemented and then you have to rethink your spec all at once when something needs fixed or added. Why didn't DeXT and avih think up the entire spec and then create the programs to create these image files? Because they might waste a whole lot of time and it not work to their expectations. Of course my work will be limited because I am only fluent enough in Java. I have always wanted to learn C++ but I can't get used to all the Windows crap. I can program in basic C++ but I never learned much because I hate M$ software and I do not use Linux for enough things to bother learning it(which I would much rather do). I need to find the source for a Java MPEG-1/2/4 player(all welcome). If anyone finds one of these please e-mail me about where I can find it. My address is spyder482@yahoo.com

On the subject of subtitles and chapters, I believe these should be included in the container format also. MCF might want to be able to index external subtitle files but they do not need to be M2F2 anyway. But that should not need to be a part of XCD. I believe the best way for XCD to go is to remain as open as possible to many different kinds of containers while preserving the basic architecture for simplicity.

Last edited by spyder; 10th May 2002 at 22:41.
Old 11th May 2002, 00:03   #165  |  Link
DeXT

Hi there spider. I searched for "java mpeg" in Google and got some interesting results:

http://peace.snu.ac.kr/dhkim/java/MPEG/
http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.d...MPEG_Play.html
http://www.javazoom.net/javalayer/javalayer.html
http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~chasan/MPEGPlayer.zip

IBM will release its Java MPEG-4 player once the MPEG-4 license model is finished.

Great work...
DeXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2002, 02:45   #166  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

DeXT:

Thanks for the links I will look at the MPEG video players later. The JavaLayer one is to the program I have already modified(look at the earlier posts) IBM had already released their MPEG-4 code but they withdrew it because of license issues and haven't put it back yet.