Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 9th February 2021, 22:14   #41  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

First it worked as advertised - Green Needle or Brainstorm, then I downloaded SssS file and started to hear only Brainstorm, then again looked at the site and now I hear only Green Stone...
Btw, who is using TikTok? Everyone on PinkPok now.

Stared at that spot in the center for a minute, I think that suddenly I know how to code in CPP now.
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2021, 22:26   #42  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

VX, did you view the aussie radio clip several posts ahead, nice and clear audio, and I love their reactions. [EDIT: Post #35]
I dont know what TikTok is, it was posted on an on-line newspaper, stolen from TikTok.
CPP, here you come.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 9th February 2021 at 22:28.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2021, 00:03   #43  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I dont know what TikTok is, it was posted on an on-line newspaper, stolen from TikTok.
Don't worry, you're not missing anything except a bunch of kids having fun wrong and a bunch of people dancing while soundtracks are playing.

Quote:
CPP, here you come.
Hear, hear

(I don't know if it's right, but I heard it so many times in the House of Commons by... ehm... everyone to agree with sentences, so... I used it xD)
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2021, 00:47   #44  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
VX, did you view the aussie radio clip several posts ahead, nice and clear audio, and I love their reactions. [EDIT: Post #35]
That was mine reaction, was like "WTF".
Second link helped me to hear Needle again, if I put on repeat him saying "green needle" many times.

Of course, utube offered to watch "Yanny or Laurel" video, but I don't hear that, I hear some unknown Chinese word "Ya-eee".

Then "Black & Blue or White & Gold dress" video, I don't see any mentioned colors. If anyone sees them then they shouldn't work with the colors.

Quote:
CPP, here you come.
I wish... God is the witness that I tried... but after spending on it day or two I understood that after a week or month I still would be grasping at basics, and I don't have that much time to spend on it. It's not like Python or JS where you can learn on the go...

Last edited by VoodooFX; 10th February 2021 at 02:13.
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2021, 02:27   #45  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Hear, hear
"Hear Ye", as by someone in ancient times, ringing a bell in the town square and shouting "Hear Ye, Hear Ye"
before telling of news, eg "We're at war with France" again
Means "Listen to this", or "Harken to this" (In the imperative, ie you must listen)

Or from Google
Quote:
Is it Hear ye or here ye?
In grammatical form, the “hear” is the imperative (commanding) form of the verb “to hear”.
And “ye” is the old form of the second person plural - now “you”. ... It is 'Hear Ye'.
It means 'Listen to this'.
Quote:
Why do they say here here in Parliament?
Its use in Parliament is linked to the fact that applause is normally (though not always) forbidden in the chambers of the House of Commons and House of Lords.
The phrase "hear him, hear him!" was used in Parliament since the late 17th century, and had been reduced to "hear!" or "hear, hear!" by the late 18th century.
Yeah, that black and blue dress thing was a bit weird, methinks they had coloured lights.

Quote:
God is the whiteness
Maybe witness, although maybe in whiteness too

I bought my first C compiler about 1985/86 and did not actually do anything with it until maybe 1990+, and probably not with that compiler,
the 1st compiler maybe cost a couple of hundred quids. You just look at it and think "Not today Josephine",
yeah C ain't that inviting looking, hieroglyphics.
EDIT: I was coding in Z80 and MC68000 assembly language before C [that's how inviting it is].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 10th February 2021 at 02:32.
Old 13th February 2021, 09:19   #46  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post

I wish... God is the witness that I tried... but after spending on it day or two I understood that after a week or month I still would be grasping at basics, and I don't have that much time to spend on it. It's not like Python or JS where you can learn on the go...
you can learn C++ on the go, as long as you start from the correct subset of C++, it's not that different from Python.

create variables
Code:
# Python
x = 42
y = 2.71
z = 'hello'

// C++
auto x = 42;
auto y = 2.71;
auto z = "hello";
define a (parametrically polymorphic) function
Code:
# Python
def f(x):
    return x + x

x = f(21) # x == 42
y = f('hello') # y == 'hellohello'

// C++
auto f(auto&& x) {
    return x + x;
}

auto x = f(21); // x == 42
auto y = f("hello"s); // y == "hellohello"
loop over a container
Code:
# Python
c = [1, 2, 3, 4]
for x in c:
    print(x)

// C++
auto c = std::array{ 1, 2, 3, 4 };
for (auto x : c)
    std::cout << x;
function with mutiple return values
Code:
# Python
def f(x, y):
    return x + x, y + y

x, y = f(21, 'hello') # x == 42, y == 'hellohello'

// C++
auto f(auto&& x, auto&& y) {
    return std::tuple{ x + x, y + y };
}

auto [x, y] = f(21, "hello"s); // x == 42, y == "hellohello"
(untyped) lambda calculus
Code:
# Python
def curry2(f):
    return lambda x: lambda y: f(x, y)

v = curry2(lambda x, y: x + y)(11)(22) # v == 33

// C++
auto curry2(auto f) {
    return [=](auto x) { return [=](auto y) { return f(x, y); }; };
}

auto v = curry2([](auto x, auto y){ return x + y; })(11)(22); //  v == 33
latent typing (types dependent on the structure of another type, or dependent on a term)
Code:
# latent typing in Python is implied by its dynamic typing nature
class A:
    def f(self):
        pass

class B:
    pass

def g(x):
    if hasattr(x, 'f'):
        return 42
    else:
        return 'hello'

x = g(A()) # type(x) == int
y = g(B()) # type(y) == str

// C++ supports compile time latent typing
struct A {
    auto f() {}
};

struct B {};

auto g(auto&& x) {
    if constexpr (requires { x.f(); })
        return 42;
    else
        return "hello"s;
}

auto x = g(A{}); // std::same_as<decltype(x), int> == true
auto y = g(B{}); // std::same_as<decltype(y), std::string> == true

Last edited by feisty2; 13th February 2021 at 09:23.
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2021, 01:33   #47  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Although not optical or auditory illusion, I though might be good place to plonk this here.

I was running some frequency hearing test thing:- https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/142976...aring-at-home/
(Or same again on youTube ):- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SHFwmPQ_rQ

And did not like it as,
1) Was playing background music when testing if I could hear some varying frequency.
2) I did not score too good,

So, I then hunted out another test, here [ How Old Are Your Ears? (Hearing Test) ] :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E1SDl9vLo8

1) Did not play background music, so good.
2) I did not score too good, so still lousy hearing. (I always thought I had good hearing).

For me (@ ~65 Y.O.), bout 23Hz -> 8.?? KHz, although by KitSound Metro X headphones and via BlueTooth,
maybe I need better phones and maybe use wired.

At no point did I hear Green Needle nor BrainStorm, so I gues thats a plus.

EDIT: Zealot B19, Bluetooth, bout 19Hz -> 8.50KHz. [ EDIT: Repeat test, about 19Hz -> 9.9KHz : Improving with age ]
EDIT: Strangely, Zealot B19 on Wired, bout 32Hz -> 8.9KHz.

EDIT: Both Kitsound Metro X and Zealot B19 are cheap ~ £25.00 headphones,
I would not pay £200.0 for something I'm gonna leave on a train some day,
especially as I seem to have lousy heaing to begin with.

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th March 2021 at 00:36.
Old 11th March 2021, 21:19   #48  |  Link
kolak

I always hear Brain Needle, so for me it's crap :P

Last edited by kolak; 11th March 2021 at 21:22.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2021, 00:45   #49  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
I always hear Brain Needle, so for me it's crap :P
Yeah, you need check out the Old & Decrepit, Hearing Test whotsit.

I noticed that the Hearing Freq Test thingies, sometimes have a slight click when switching frequency [esp where big freq jumps],
If someone wants to create a clickless version of same, then maybe Prune() could help eliminate them.

Reason for Prune de-click implementation:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162907

This is how Prune deals with change in freq, [ https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...32#post1715332 ]
Saw -> Square -> Sine

EDIT: From 1st link thread
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Yes hard cutting audio can result in clicks, especially when the last sample of clip1 is a high positive value and the first sample of clip2 is a high negative value.

A very short dissolve (1ms) from clip1 to clip2 fixes the problem very nicely. It involves a bit of stuffing around with DelayAudio(0.001), ChangeFPS(1000), Dissolve(..., 1) and AudioDubEx(OrigVid, Last).

The cheap solution is a 1 frame dissolve at normal speed (40ms).
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
The goal is to avoid any nasty step impulses which result in a singularity
Quote:
WTF, now I have to worry about creating a black hole, I heard them things can be dangerous.

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th March 2021 at 15:03.
Old 13th April 2021, 21:52   #50  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Here a nice illusion, see a brilliant almost impossible cyan color that aint really there:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExeDhPUbhSE

Old 9th March 2022, 04:06   #51  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Fabulous optical illusion [click the video]:- https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/178868...ion-head-spin/
Maybe somebody turns it to GIF.

Old 20th March 2022, 00:12   #52  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Stare at this for a little while
[best if click image for full size]

[originally seen here:- https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/18...ewers-baffled/ ]

(makes you think you've had too much giggle juice)

Old 20th March 2022, 00:22   #53  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
makes you think you've had too much giggle juice
yeah, it moves when I look at it and then I move my eyes to the side and it stays still for a bit and then the other side moves ehehehehehe
Old 20th March 2022, 03:54   #54  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yeah, its just like bein' a bit pissed, but cheaper.

EDIT:
Some years back I had an inner ear infection (originally from chest infection, it spread),
balance systems went all to hell and if I closed my eyes for maybe 5 seconds
whilst standing up, I would fall flat on my face.
Woz well weird, only thing that sorted it out was about 6 or 8 pints of beer, then everything felt kinda normal.
(antihistamines and the like made no difference, only beer worked.)

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th March 2022 at 13:12.
Old 20th March 2022, 14:30   #55  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Wow! That must have been annoying, but yeah I know what you mean. It's basically like when I go to sleep and sometimes I have the weird free fall thing due to my ears. The annoying thing for you though is that you had this while you were awake and standing up! O_O
Old 21st March 2022, 01:12   #56  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

When walking along the street, I had to take extra special attention to everything, felt like I was walking a tightrope,
and very conscious of my weaving from side to side, and of others thinking I was pissed.
(We take inner ear balance for granted, considerably harder when you have to use only your eyes.)

Quote:
It's basically like when I go to sleep and sometimes I have the weird free fall thing due to my ears.
Dont know what thats like, I've never had the 'free fall' thing due to your ears.
[maybe they flap about or something, have you tried Blue Tack].

Old 21st March 2022, 01:30   #57  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Really? You never had it?
Basically the thing responsible for your balance in your ears has some problems when you sleep and it might happen that it feeds wrong information to the brain. When that happens, you get the free fall feeling in which your brain basically tells you that you're falling even if you're actually just lying on your bed. It's pretty common, actually, I'm surprised you never experienced it before.

I've found an article about it by Steve Jacques, Head of anatomy, Leicester Medical School, UK:

Quote:
The feeling is triggered by an involuntary muscle movement called a hypnic jerk that occurs when the body is in the transitional stage between wakefulness and light sleep, known as the hypnagogic state.

When the body enters a state of deep relaxation in preparation for sleep, this sensation can be misinterpreted by the brain as the body falling and therefore being in danger. So the hypnic jerk knocks you back into full consciousness. One proposed explanation for the link between “falling” and experiencing a hypnic jerk in the hypnagogic state is that it is a reflex that improved the chances of survival for our ancestors.
Although I wasn't totally happy with the explanation 'cause I found it to be a bit too technical, so I looked again on the web and I found this one which better explains it - for those who don't have any medical knowledge like me - by Matt Chamings, another professor but from Barnstaple, UK:

Quote:
While awake, we are normally aware of the effect of gravity. For example, sitting writing this answer, I am conscious of the pressure of the chair on my bottom, as well as the fact that I can see that objects are orientated correctly along an up-down axis. Furthermore, my inner ear uses gravity to provide constant input about the position of my head.

While falling asleep, a crucial sensory relay station deep in the brain known as the thalamus becomes inhibited. The thalamus is the pathway through which sensations become conscious. If the brain doesn’t receive information on the direction gravity is acting, it may conclude that there must be no force pushing back against the body from the floor (or our bed). This is consistent with weightlessness or free fall.
Old 21st March 2022, 01:57   #58  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Nope, dont recall ever having that.
However I once fell 60 feet out of a tree, hit about 3 or 4 branches on way down; sending me doing somersaults and cartwheels through the air
before landing with my arm splatting the branch that broke and caused my fall.
That arm/wrist ended up wrapped around the branch, broken in 5 places and dislocated in 3 places, my mother nearly collapsed when she saw it.
Anyways, no namby pamby hypnagogic state is gonna make a great deal of impact after that.

But, heres a bit more giggle juice thingy. [even worse piss'ed-ness inducing]
(just move the browser page up/down a little)

And original post (copy of Reddit post):- https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/18...-circles-move/

EDIT: OK, I lied, of course I've been on verge of falling asleep and woken up with a jolt. [never had that falling thingy though - not that I'm aware of]

EDIT: That "hypnagogic state" thingy, is probably exactly what you see when a toddler is repeatedly falling asleep, and jolts back to being awake.

Last edited by StainlessS; 21st March 2022 at 02:40.
Old 1st June 2022, 19:36   #59  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

And here a Black Hole [watch out, I heard them there things can be dangerous.]

Source:- https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/187529...e-swallow-you/

Old 1st June 2022, 20:53   #60  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I looked at it the first time and it wasn't moving much, but I was on my mobile and it wasn't centered. I tilted the phone and made sure it was in the middle and yeah it looks like it's growing, but depending on how you look at it, it grows in one direction faster than in the others (or at least that's the impression I have).

Our brain sure works in complex and fascinating ways...