Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 28th August 2015, 08:49   #1  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Total Variation Inpainting for image scaling

I just heard in another forum about the existence of NUKE by The Foundry, which seems to be a comprehensive video editing framework. This also implements an upscaling technique called TVIScale. To me it sounds like "an educated guess about probable details". I can find a few papers mentioning a Split Bregman algorithm and Wavelets. Is there anyone with a little more insight?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 20:50   #2  |  Link
luquinhas0021
The image enthusyast

Total variational impainting is a technic that try to recover the miss information in image/frame. How? Suppose you have an image plenty of noise, but at least one edge of each segment of each object is correct represented. The TVI decompose the image in two layers, put of noise and try reconstruct the miss edges taking the information of close edges. For that, a lot of techniques can be used, such Taylor Series, Fourier Series, Shearlets, etc. Search for "Shearlet" on Google, enter in Shearlet official page and research for it applications.
I guess TVI scale in Nuke first scales the image using a sophisticated resizing algorithm, and then apply the TV filter.
Ask about comercial softwares in this forum doesn't work, because the most of users is so addicted in Avisynth, that's why don't know (Or don't like) about commercial solutions.

Last edited by luquinhas0021; 28th August 2015 at 20:59.
luquinhas0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 20:55   #3  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I just read that it may be impressive for single images, but in videos it may have issues with "temporal fluctuations", constructing missing parts slightly differently from frame to frame... a plausible warning.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 21:07   #4  |  Link
luquinhas0021
The image enthusyast

Yes, and it must cause temporal aliasing/temporal noise, or not. A good implementation is:
first: resample
second: apply a temporal subpixel motion filter, called of super-resolution filter too.
finally; apply TVI
The super-resolution filter must "regularize" the video close frames behave, and take off some artifacts.