Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th September 2017, 09:01   #45461  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Since we're all talking about our preferred Chroma upscaler, I'd like to throw in my pick and state why I prefer it over other scalers.

NGU Anti-alias High Chroma

Why? It's not too sharp, and also smoothes the edges of the 4:2:0 chroma, which we all know can look pretty terrible, especially at lower resolutions like 480p. I find it produces the clearest, most defined, and smooth chroma in madvr.

Don't get too stuck up on sharpness. Jinc should be regarded as the overall best upscaler and downscaler in madvr. It's also a great chroma scaler, but if you have some extra headroom, go for NGU AA High. Very High looks really nice, but it's just too demanding even for 1080 Ti.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 09:22   #45462  |  Link
Magik Mark

Can somebody point me to the right link if this has been answered. I'm having problems searching this:

1. It seems I can't get madvr to generate optimized setting for custom mode. I have played numerous videos already

2. Sometimes I get Black Screen. Hitting pause then unpause so far solves this. is there a way to prevent this?
Old 8th September 2017, 10:03   #45463  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
it will help you get rid of that ugly grain of some old movies (I dont don't like grain)
Ouch! Grain is part of the film! You're making it looking like a TV show! Nolan would disagree with you
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 10:08   #45464  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

I dont mind the grain in older films, 35MM has grain, I dont want to change that!
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 12:04   #45465  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
Ouch! Grain is part of the film! You're making it looking like a TV show! Nolan would disagree with you
I agree with you (not with the Nolan part, his lastest movies are cristal clean in the theater), but I simply don't like a grainy image, and my projector make look grainy movies even worse, that's why I like to use denoise filters.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 13:35   #45466  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Don't get too stuck up on sharpness. Jinc should be regarded as the overall best upscaler and downscaler in madvr. It's also a great chroma scaler, but if you have some extra headroom, go for NGU AA High. Very High looks really nice, but it's just too demanding even for 1080 Ti.
Agreed. But high gets you 95% of the way there so it's hard to justify very high unless you got plenty to burn. On my 960 I'd rather not. I wouldn't notice it anyway..
And yes Jinc is very nice for luma, NGU AA bests it with chroma though, even the low setting IMO. Jinc loves to add nice dark haloing, NGU AA is very clean by comparison.

Last edited by ryrynz; 8th September 2017 at 13:37.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 16:46   #45467  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Performance wise it's a pretty good option if you can't reach NGU AA medium. At that point though I might consider one of the other algos instead, I haven't done any direct comparisons between low and the others but I'm no fan of the sharper algos that's for sure, but it really does come down to your display.. I believe owners of Projectors like Madshi tend to prefer the sharper ones.
I tend to stay away from the sharper ones, as well. I'm on a Panny plasma and haven't seen any need for increased sharpness. I will say I absolutely prefer NGU AA medium. If you've got the horsepower under the hood, it's very much worth it IMO.
Old 8th September 2017, 18:01   #45468  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Jinc should be regarded as the overall best upscaler and downscaler in madvr. It's also a great chroma scaler, but if you have some extra headroom, go for NGU AA High. Very High looks really nice, but it's just too demanding even for 1080 Ti.
even a Geforce 1080 Ti is too slow for NGU very high chroma upsampling? just for that alone, without any additional upscaling of the image?
Old 8th September 2017, 18:42   #45469  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
even a Geforce 1080 Ti is too slow for NGU very high chroma upsampling? just for that alone, without any additional upscaling of the image?
NGU chroma very high is no problem on a 1080 ti for the most part. But I think he just meant that it's not worth the performance cost [assuming it forces you to back down on luma settings and such] and I agree. It's expensive and I can't see the difference myself but I can usually afford it so I use it

Last edited by kalston; 8th September 2017 at 18:51.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 19:33   #45470  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
It isn't about GPU performance at all. I have plenty of power, I could use NGU AA very high for both chroma upscaling and luma doubling when upscaling 1080p30 to 4K (note: chroma is doubled with NGU AA medium when luma doubling is set to very high).

Using NGU AA very high for chroma upscaling might even provide worse quality. Some users here have reported that, only for chroma upscaling, NGU AA very high actually results in worse quality than NGU AA high and during personal testing I have never found a situation where very high was visibly better.

But really, it simply isn't worth the large increase in heat/power for no or negative changes in quality.

Last edited by Asmodian; 8th September 2017 at 19:40.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 19:43   #45471  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
That scene doesn't show a huge amount of difference.
It did show a huge difference between luma-guided chroma scalers vs. traditional chroma scalers and NGU didn't exist at that time.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 20:16   #45472  |  Link
JarrettH

Anyone have screenshots to show these chroma differences? It's odd talking about it. Something like sxbr, ngu aa medium / high, ngu standard medium / high, ngu sharp medium / high

Last edited by JarrettH; 8th September 2017 at 20:19.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 20:30   #45473  |  Link
aufkrawall

I don't have the sample. Since bilateral shined there, I'd assume that sharper algorithms like NGU Sharp would noticeably look better as well. Can't prove/disprove that without the sample, unfortunately.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 21:23   #45474  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Render times are too high. It sometimes spikes into 40-70 ms, which throws off sync. If MAX stats goes over 41ms, then I don't use the setting as audio sync will be affected.

I have all trade quality for performance settings turned off.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 22:46   #45475  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
It did show a huge difference between luma-guided chroma scalers vs. traditional chroma scalers
Anything difference looks huge if you zoom in enough.

I'll have a comparison screenshot package up showing all the chroma scalers available within madVR on the particular scene up later today.

Last edited by ryrynz; 8th September 2017 at 22:55.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 22:54   #45476  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Render times are too high. It sometimes spikes into 40-70 ms, which throws off sync. If MAX stats goes over 41ms, then I don't use the setting as audio sync will be affected.

The buffers should prevent any sync issue from happening though. Certainly works that way for me. I don't really pay attention to max stats. I just look at average & queues. 24fps content is pretty damn easy for a 1080 ti.

(and I don't use any trade quality for performance setting either)

Last edited by kalston; 8th September 2017 at 23:02.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 00:05   #45477  |  Link
huhn

Quote:

that's not how it works as long as no frame is dropped/repeated sync is not affected at all. max rendering times over the frame interval can be totally save.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 00:38   #45478  |  Link
dvd1

on the 576 of low quality at low bitrates. what should I use for a picture more and deeper nidita?
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 01:38   #45479  |  Link
huhn

try ngu AA and debanding high low quality is a lost case anyway.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2017, 01:40   #45480  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Anything difference looks huge if you zoom in enough.
It's funny how the most devoted discussions are usually for the most subjective things. I mean luma scaling isn't discussed too much because...
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling