Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 28th November 2012, 22:42   #13181  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

With overlay you're entirely at the mercy of the GPU, which is usually a horrible idea, even EVR does a better job then that. Also, Overlay has some other issues, window movement is sluggish and it forces Aero off. Its the most efficient renderer in regards to performance (if you dont want DXVA), but its also the most simple with basically zero features and zero control about what happens. That it turns Aero off is already annoying enough for me.

From a technical standpoint, its also brain-dead stupid and doesn't implement DirectShow properly, so right now its broken again with LAV and probably needs some custom hacks to work again.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 28th November 2012 at 22:44.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 23:09   #13182  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Aero forces Vsync and for that I think it sucks; unfortunately, if you disable Aero, there are visual glitches everywhere (+ poor performance), so disable it forever is not feasible. Fortunately Direct3D madVR allows to turn Aero Vsync off for video playback.

But I've heard your others points; thanks for the info.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 23:10   #13183  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

good thing madVR supports an overlay mode :P
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 01:04   #13184  |  Link
Anima123

nevcairiel, I encountered an ogg file which cause trouble using the latest LAVFilters 0.54.1.

I have sent you splitted file with pm. Please take a look at it.

The ogg splitter with mpc-hc handles it very well though.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 01:52   #13185  |  Link
Snowknight26

Any chance you can enable VMNC support, nev?
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 03:32   #13186  |  Link
war59312
war59312.com

Quote:
LAV Video
- The DXVA2 Native decoder can now properly detect hardware support for video resolutions
- Allows 4K DXVA2 decoding on NVIDIA
- New options to control which resolutions are being handled by the hardware decoder (SD, HD and 4K/UHD)
Does that mean if the 4k option is selectable that my graphics card should support 4K DXVA2 decoding ?

Tested with the 4k videos from youtube. And MPC-HC info screen says "Not using DXVA".

Yes the new "UHD (4K)" option is checked in lav filter.

My graphics card is 1 Nvidia GeForce GTX 470.

List of graphics cards supported? Perhaps add to faq on front page?

Update: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Table_of_PureVideo_.28HD.29_GPUs

So looks like my card does NOT do 4k. Darn!

If your card does not support 4k then the option in lav filter should be grayed out as to not make the user think their card supports 4k when it really does not.
war59312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 03:40   #13187  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by war59312 View Post
If your card does not support 4k then the option in lav filter should be grayed out as to not make the user think their card supports 4k when it really does not.
Good idea, duuno whether its hard for nev.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 07:58   #13188  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
good thing madVR supports an overlay mode :P
madVRs overlay mode has nothing to do with the "Overlay Mixer", completely different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by war59312 View Post
Thats not possible. It will always show all options, the config does not have access to the decoder itself to check for such things (and some decoders like QuickSync or CUVID don't tell me such infos, they just fail at decoding 4K and trigger the software fallback). This will not change, it would be way too much effort for a visual fix.
Resolution support may also depend on which codec is used, so there is more combinations possible then the UI can show.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 29th November 2012 at 10:07.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 13:59   #13189  |  Link
bejita7

Can you give approximate ETA for ordered chapters/editions support in LAV Splitter?
bejita7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:17   #13190  |  Link
malmsteen81

i have a question, if i use dxva (native o CB) with ati card without yadif enabled, does ati deinterlace dvd or 1080i files?

thanks
malmsteen81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 14:26   #13191  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmsteen81 View Post
i have a question, if i use dxva (native o CB) with ati card without yadif enabled, does ati deinterlace dvd or 1080i files?
Depends on the renderer, but on e.g. EVR or madVR with standard settings: yes, the graphics card will do the deinterlacing. This is done by the renderer and not by LAV, though.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 16:18   #13192  |  Link
ajp_anton

Had corrupted Intel-DXVA decoding a few days ago. Forgot which clip it was.
Found it today. Installed 54.1, no corruption. Perfect, thanks =).
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 17:46   #13193  |  Link
bugmen0t
Banned

Hallo nev, is it possible that LAV Audio sometimes overflows when using mixing with clipping protection (very loud btw) and integer output formats (needed for some of my tools)? Normalization is fine but much quieter of course. BTW is dithering used when converting floats to integers? And do you use the mean or rms for normalization?
bugmen0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 20:06   #13194  |  Link
manma

Is there any reason to use DXVA2 over quicksync? Does it offer any performance improvements when used along with madvr?
manma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 22:41   #13195  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
madVRs overlay mode has nothing to do with the "Overlay Mixer", completely different things.
It's similar in the sense that the presentation isn't copied back to main memory(hence no screenshots) which would mean less potential for glitching/stuttering. And aero can continue to be on. I guess less stutter is the reason to use Overlay so madVR may help there. Not too sure.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 23:41   #13196  |  Link
Anleck

Hello, a little advice needed please.
I can not get LAV splitter to work with dvd's. The problem started after some software upgrades (was perfect before).
LAV video is working with dvd, including Hardware acceleration, and LAV splitter is being used for just about everything except dvd's.

I have reinstalled drivers and LAV back to the last known working combination without success. I have tried the latest release of mpc-be and mpc-hc with 54.1 LAV filters. I also tried manually cleaning out the registry before reinstalling, but I keep coming back to the same point (everything fine except dvd's).

I am running Windows8dp and wish to avoid reinstalling (I had a disc image which conveniently disappeared)

If anyone could give me some registry values to check I would be grateful.

PS- I had individual vob's playing using LAVsplitter but could not get the disc as a whole to play fine.
Anleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 00:21   #13197  |  Link
war59312
war59312.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by war59312
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Thats not possible. It will always show all options, the config does not have access to the decoder itself to check for such things (and some decoders like QuickSync or CUVID don't tell me such infos, they just fail at decoding 4K and trigger the software fallback). This will not change, it would be way too much effort for a visual fix.
Resolution support may also depend on which codec is used, so there is more combinations possible then the UI can show.
ok no big deal. Thanks for the details.
war59312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 05:58   #13198  |  Link
dansrfe

When I'm playing a flac file it stops 2/3 of the through and MPC-HC says playing but nothing happens even when I play/pause the player.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 08:24   #13199  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
When I'm playing a flac file it stops 2/3 of the through
No problems here (using 0.54.1)
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 11:29   #13200  |  Link
Weirdo

I'm getting regular player crashes (DVBViewer + Media Center 18 w.custom video mode) with 0.54.1 after a couple of minutes. Not sure if it's LAV, reverted to 0.53.2 and it works fine for now. Win 8 x64, AMD 5670.

Last edited by Weirdo; 30th November 2012 at 11:33.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter