Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 20th March 2009, 15:38   #21  |  Link
turbojet

I much prefer they took this fresh approach then try to do something with AAC. After all what is a software company supposed to do with AAC that hasn't been done anyways?

If there becomes a market of MP3HD hardware I can see this really taking off.

I would probably be using this regularly from now if there was a way to extract the compressed mp3 but for now I'll say with FLAC and lame mp3 as well.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:20   #22  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I much prefer they took this fresh approach then try to do something with AAC. After all what is a software company supposed to do with AAC that hasn't been done anyways?
Lossless MP3 is an interesting idea technically but personally I can't see much use for it....

Love-it or loath-it, AAC offers greater encoding flexibility and given that it's now supported by cell phone manufacturers, its popularity can only increase....
Old 20th March 2009, 16:37   #23  |  Link
turbojet

I'm neutral on AAC, I prefer the higher efficiency over mp3 and the 5.1 support which mp3 (aud-x) really lacks. However I don't like that I don't own any hardware outside of computers that plays it.

We'll see where AAC goes, it does have some good backing but it's got a goliath in mp3 to compete with.

As for higher efficiency affecting the market, the majority of the public still see's no (to very little) difference between dvd and bd, which is a much bigger difference then aac vs mp3 efficiency. Then again not many can tell a difference between mp3 and cd either.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:49   #24  |  Link
menno
Nero AG engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
Since both the resulting file size and the encoding time are larger, the benefits of having to encode just once are not obvious... Not to mention that the mp3HD stream will be useless when you will store the file on your MP3 player, but will still eat a lot of diskspace.
The trick is that you can strip the file from the lossless correction data and end up with a pure MP3 file, much faster than encoding your lossless file to MP3. The correction data is stored in an ID3v2 tag frame (ugly hack), so probably a tag editor should be able to remove that.
menno is offline   Reply With Quote