Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 22nd June 2008, 07:21   #41  |  Link
mikeytown2
Resize Abuser

In this next release, do you think you could add wild card support?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=109997
mikeytown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 19:02   #42  |  Link
Comatose

When type="gif" and animated=true, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 11:25   #43  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
When type="gif" and animated=true, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
Upon reading or writing? When writing an animated gif you should play the script, the animation is written when the last (selected) frame is played.

Quote:
In this next release, do you think you could add wild card support?
It's on the todo list, but it won't be in the next release. I'm not sure yet if it would be convenient to include also subfolder scanning (or only scanning of the current folder). But scanning of the current folder i want to include anyway.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 11:36   #44  |  Link
Comatose

Writing. I played it with and without start= and end= in MPC set to play once, just to be sure, but nothing.
I ended up just saving individual GIFs and "muxing" them them into an animated GIF with unfreez.

Um, could you add an option for disabling dithering? In anime, there usually is banding (post denoise) and most of the time it's small enough to not be noticeable but the dithering makes ugly, off colored dancing grain.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:59   #45  |  Link
Wilbert

Ok. I will look at it on saturday.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:25   #46  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

@Comatose,

Dithering is inevitable if you save a full colour image in any restricted color format like GIF. Either save to a full color format like JPEG, or filter your clip so each frame only has fewer or equal unique colours than the format supports, e.g. N <= 256 for GIF. And I am not aware of any AVS filters specifically for reducing the unique colour count but tricks with Levels, Tweak, ColorYUV or RGBAdjust may be possible. Other filters that may also be able to be adapted.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 19:21   #47  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Actually, GIF can contain more than 256 colors, just not in the same frame. But using several frames with 0 delay in-between means you can have more than 256 colors at the same time...

Not that I'd advocate actually using this, mind you.

np: Sage Francis - Keep Moving (Human The Death Dance)
Old 25th June 2008, 21:21   #48  |  Link
smok3
brontosaurusrex

could all this lead to openEXR support, and HDR support generaly speaking?
Old 25th June 2008, 22:09   #49  |  Link
Comatose

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
@Comatose,

Dithering is inevitable if you save a full colour image in any restricted color format like GIF. Either save to a full color format like JPEG, or filter your clip so each frame only has fewer or equal unique colours than the format supports, e.g. N <= 256 for GIF. And I am not aware of any AVS filters specifically for reducing the unique colour count but tricks with Levels, Tweak, ColorYUV or RGBAdjust may be possible. Other filters that may also be able to be adapted.
Can't dithering be disabled? I'm pretty sure I used something to save a GIF a long time ago and I could disable dithering.

It's something the compressor does voluntarily, no? That grain doesn't appear out of nowhere >:3
Old 26th June 2008, 00:28   #50  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

@Comatose,

You have to do something to reduce the number of distinct colours to the level the format supports. The IM library used here dithers. What would you like it to do? And as I said if you preprocess your image to reduce the number of distinct colours present it will not dither.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 10:30   #51  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Can't dithering be disabled? I'm pretty sure I used something to save a GIF a long time ago and I could disable dithering.
There is a dither option which can be turned of. But like Ian said, something is done to reduce the colors.

Quote:
You can also see IM will by default use a 'dither' to shade the colors over the image. This prevents the sudden changes in color over smoothly changing gradients. If you turn of dithering (using the "+dither" setting) you can clearly see what colors were merged together to generate what IM regarded as the best set of colors for this specific image. You can also see the sudden color changes that gradients of color will produce is dithering was not done.
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/quantize/

I will make it available as an option.
Old 28th June 2008, 23:04   #52  |  Link
Wilbert

@Mug,
Quote:
btw - write support is the bomb. i can make dpx's directly now, and with a little finessing can maintain timecodes in the filenames (though the headers are all stamped 00:00:00:00 and the files are flagged as log, i can work around this).
Someone made a perl-script for this: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/scr...px_timecode.pl (A simple script can be used with ImageMagick to automatically increment the time code for each frame in a sequence.) See: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/formats/
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:38   #53  |  Link
Comatose

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
@Comatose,

You have to do something to reduce the number of distinct colours to the level the format supports. The IM library used here dithers. What would you like it to do? And as I said if you preprocess your image to reduce the number of distinct colours present it will not dither.
Well, isn't it reduced either way?
Like, the dithering is only in place to hide the banding that comes from the lower color resolution or something.

edit: Yup. :3
Old 19th July 2008, 21:17   #54  |  Link
Wilbert

A while ago i released v1.33. See first post.

@Comatose, you can disable dither right now and specify the number of colors. Writing gif animations should work again.

@Maxiuca, your issue should be fixed.
Old 9th August 2008, 18:30   #55  |  Link
Wilbert

New version: v1.34. See first post.
Old 18th August 2008, 23:08   #56  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Hey, Wilbert. I am having some troubles getting ImmaWrite to work correctly.

I am receiving a "Immawrite does not have an argument named 'filename' " error when I drop this script into MPC:

Quote:
BlankClip(length=401, width=400,height=300, color=$616264)
ShowFrameNumber(text_color=$fffffff, size=70, x=115, y=175, halo_color=$616264)
ImmaWrite(filename="C:\Documents and Settings\-----\Desktop\Logo2\",type="jpeg")
Also, if I just insert the quoted section as the first parameter, the files don't appear anywhere (that I can find).

Edit: This is with the latest version available on your site, and Avisynth 2.57 non-MT. Windows XP.

Edit2: Hmm...I am wondering if maybe it's not finding my ImageMagick libraries. All I did was deposit them into the System32 folder. But, wouldn't I be receiving an error along those lines?

Last edited by Adub; 19th August 2008 at 03:29.
Adub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 17:29   #57  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Edit2: Hmm...I am wondering if maybe it's not finding my ImageMagick libraries. All I did was deposit them into the System32 folder. But, wouldn't I be receiving an error along those lines?
Hmm, you should get an error in that case. From this version on you need to put them in your system32 folder and set the magick_home variable (see below). I assume ImmaRead doesn't work either for you?

Did you do the following:
Quote:
You need the following ImageMagick dll's in order to be able to use this plugin. They should be copied to the system folder (any other folder won't work). You need to set the MAGICK_HOME variable to the location of ImageMagick dll's (under Settings -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> Add MAGICK_HOME as a user variable), or you need to provide it using the magick_home argument. Thus magick_home = "C:\\WINNT\\system32".

Last edited by Wilbert; 19th August 2008 at 17:31.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:37   #58  |  Link
Wilbert

Forget my last post. Try
Code:
BlankClip(length=401, width=400,height=300, color=$616264)
ShowFrameNumber(text_color=$fffffff, size=70, x=115, y=175, halo_color=$616264)
ImmaWrite(file="F:\",type="jpeg")
Thanks for pointing out an error in the docs (it's "file" and not "filename")! I will change that in the code.

It has another bug though. It puts the images in the wrong folder (in the same folder as the script). I will look at it.

Last edited by Wilbert; 19th August 2008 at 17:40.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:46   #59  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Okay, thanks. Yes, using the "file" parameter instead, and pointing it to the same folder as the script works. But I am glad that you have also encountered the bug.
Old 24th August 2008, 13:50   #60  |  Link
Wilbert

@Merlin7777,

Both issues should be fixed! Please test and report back.