Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 26th November 2007, 16:21   #1701  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydg68 View Post
I'm trying to get eac3to running, I'm running nero 7 and I keep getting the message
Disabling DRC for Nero (E-)AC3 decoding... then lines go across the screen and then it exits. It does not continue.
is there a specific version of nero 7 I need?

I tried a nero lite version and it said getting nero audio decoder 2 instance failed.
Can you please give me the full eac3to output with the Nero 7 (non lite) version? Did you properly buy the HD DVD plugin?
Old 26th November 2007, 16:24   #1702  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
1) there are 3 types of channel order for 5.1 MLP files:

ID 12: Group 1 (Lf, Rf), Group 2 (C, LFE, Ls, Rs)
ID 17: Group 1 (Lf, Rf, C), Group 2 ( LFE, Ls, Rs)
ID 20: Group 1 (Lf, Rf, Ls, Rs), Group 2 (C, LFE)

and they are all valid channel order for 5.1 MLP, decoded to WAV, they all produce the same WAV file with the valid channel order for 5.1 WAV files: Lf, Rf, C, LFE, Ls, Rs.
I know that there are multiple channel ordering variations for MLP which are all "correct". I didn't know the details, though.

Quote:
but eac3to 2.06 reports:

ID 20 order is wrong for WAV files, but not for MLP, so "5.1 wrong order channels" doesn't seem right to me.
I know. I just wanted to post something other than "5.1" to indicate that this is not the normal 5.1 channel order, but something different. I didn't expect that this other ordering would really be used in real life, so I just named it "wrong order" just to give it a name.

Quote:
2) with Nero decoder all of the samples: mlp51_id12.mlp, mlp51_id17.mlp, mlp51_id20.mlp are decoded, but the output is different for mlp51_id20.mlp, probably it produces WAV with channel order Lf, Rf, Ls, Rs, C, LFE instead of the correct one Lf, Rf, C, LFE, Ls, Rs. it's important, because most of the DVD-Audio discs use ID20, ID12 and ID17 are very rare.

3) with -libav switch all of the above samples produce:

and no output at all, i don't know why because i have ffmpeg patched with one of the first MLP patches and it decodes all of the samples without complaining about the checksums, so maybe with the newest ffmpeg MLP patches, something is broken and previous versions are better to use at the moment, because there is no problem with the checksums according to Surecode MLP:

here are the samples: http://xkodi.svobodno.com/mlp51/
Thanks for the samples! Will check this out. May take a few days, though.
Old 26th November 2007, 16:27   #1703  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH View Post
Another problem here.

I converted X-Men: The Last Stand DTS-HD Master Audio track to FLAC, and the playing didn't go well
The reason for that is that you most probably don't have a "FLAC source" filter installed which could handle standalone FLAC files. ffdshow can only handle FLAC files which are part of a container. ffdshow cannot handle standalone FLAC files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleH View Post
so I put the FLAC file in mka container and now it is playable (If I play the flac file as it is I get nothing but static rain/snow noise).

Anyway, now FFDShow decodes and it is fine, but FFDShow reports 16bit while it should be 24bit
That's another problem of ffdshow. Actually most of ffmpeg (which ffdshow is based on) doesn't support 24bit audio at all. I strongly do not recommend using ffdshow for FLAC decoding. I have an alternative suggestion for you which should fix all the problems you had. See here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=130498
Old 26th November 2007, 16:31   #1704  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
to build avcodec.dll, the newly build avcodec.dll still doesn't work with the samples above and eac3to produces the same error, but ffmpeg works without complaining.
Ah, you little you've recompiled avcodec.dll and replaced the version which is shipping with eac3to. Did I allow you to do that?

Just joking, of course.

When compiling ffmpeg with the default options, you won't get 24bit TrueHD tracks decoded properly. Instead you'll get them only as 16bit. Because of that I've compiled ffmpeg with special config flags. Basically after ./configure you have to edit config.h and add the following two switches:

#define USE_HIGHPRECISION 1
#define CONFIG_AUDIO_NONSHORT 1

Afterwards you can use "make" as usual. This config change makes sure that the MLP/TrueHD decoder outputs the data as 32bit instead of as 16bit. This is necessary to get full 24bit from 24bit TrueHD tracks.

BTW, if you do recompile ffmpeg once in a while with always the latest MLP/E-AC3 decoder patches, I'd be thankful if you could send me the dlls, so that I can update them in my eac3to distribution. I hate recompiling C++ projects, so I'll only do it rarely.
Old 26th November 2007, 16:38   #1705  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Thanks, I'll forward this to the MLP/TrueHD decoder author.

I can only reproduce the problem with the end of the file, though. Your "start.thd" sample decodes identically with Nero/ffmpeg for me. Can you recheck the start, please?
Thanks. I 'll check again and make another sample if needed.
Old 26th November 2007, 17:18   #1706  |  Link
puppydg68

Quote:
Can you please give me the full eac3to output with the Nero 7 (non lite) version? Did you properly buy the HD DVD plugin?
C:\HDTV-Tools\eac3to>eac3to.exe "C:\FEATURE_1_MERGED.mpa" "C:\Feature1.ac3" -640

E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:23:27, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Removing dialog normalization...
Decoding with DirectShow (Nero Audio Decoder 2)...
Disabling DRC for Nero (E-)AC3 decoding...

C:\HDTV-Tools\eac3to>

I did not buy the plug-in. I thought it only needed the nero audio decoder 2, to go from a demuxed file to ac3. Maybe this is the problem?
Old 26th November 2007, 17:30   #1707  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Thanks. I 'll check again and make another sample if needed.
That would be good. Thanks.
Old 26th November 2007, 17:31   #1708  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
C:\HDTV-Tools\eac3to>eac3to.exe "C:\FEATURE_1_MERGED.mpa" "C:\Feature1.ac3" -640

E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:23:27, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Disabling DRC for Nero (E-)AC3 decoding...

C:\HDTV-Tools\eac3to>
Well, I don't see any complaint by eac3to. But there's also no "Done". That's a bit strange...

Quote:
I did not buy the plug-in. I thought it only needed the nero audio decoder 2, to go from a demuxed file to ac3. Maybe this is the problem?
Yes, that's most probably the problem. You do need to buy the plugin and register it properly.
Old 26th November 2007, 18:18   #1709  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
That would be good. Thanks.
I can't reproduce the problem with a sample. Only the original (uncut) thd gives differences in the beginning of each wav channel. There are 4 different bytes at the first 48 bytes of each channel.

Ah, it just came to me!
It has to do with other problem (at the end of the file), i think. I believe these different bytes in the beginning have to do with the track runtime, which is different when i decode the original (uncut) .thd (by 1 ms) and exactly the same when i decode the sample.

So, nothing to worry for now, at least. If it's not fixed when you fix the "end" problem, then i 'll bring it back.
Old 26th November 2007, 18:32   #1710  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I can't reproduce the problem with a sample. Only the original (uncut) thd gives differences in the beginning of each wav channel. There are 4 different bytes at the first 48 bytes of each channel.

Ah, it just came to me!
It has to do with other problem (at the end of the file), i think. I believe these different bytes in the beginning have to do with the track runtime, which is different when i decode the original (uncut) .thd (by 1 ms) and exactly the same when i decode the sample.

So, nothing to worry for now, at least. If it's not fixed when you fix the "end" problem, then i 'll bring it back.
Yes, these are the "WAV data chunk size" and "WAV total file size" fields in the WAV file header.
Old 26th November 2007, 18:36   #1711  |  Link
nautilus7

2 hints

1. Feature request: I would like you to add an option to choose which channels to decode, when the output format is .wavs.

2. Shouldn't that be the opposite order (the bold letters), like with nero decoding?

Code:
C:\Tools>eac3to input.thd output.wavs -libav
TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Writing WAVs...

C:\Tools>eac3to input.thd output.wavs
DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Writing WAVs...
Old 26th November 2007, 18:42   #1712  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
1. Feature request: I would like you to add an option to choose which channels to decode, when the output format is .wavs.
What would that be good for? You can throw away the channels WAVs you don't like. I don't really like the idea to add an option for this because it would just make the interface more complicated without too much real life benefit. The only thing you'd gain is a tiny little bit of performance. Or am I missing an important advantage of such an option?

Quote:
2. Shouldn't that be the opposite order (the bold letters), like with nero decoding?

Code:
C:\Tools>eac3to input.thd output.wavs -libav
Writing WAVs...

C:\Tools>eac3to input.thd output.wavs
DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
Writing WAVs...
Yeah, it should probably be the other way round. But dialog normalization removal, WAVs writing, DirectShow decoding etc are all separate modules in eac3to v2.x which work more or less next to each other. Because of that the order of the log messages is sometimes "funny". No need to worry about that, though...
Old 26th November 2007, 18:50   #1713  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
What would that be good for? You can throw away the channels WAVs you don't like. I don't really like the idea to add an option for this because it would just make the interface more complicated without too much real life benefit. The only thing you'd gain is a tiny little bit of performance. Or am I missing an important advantage of such an option?
Almost every time i do a conversion, i like to decode the input and output files to wavs, and compare them in a wave editor like audacity. One channel is enough for this job and my hdd will write it faster. That's the only reason.

Quote:
Yeah, it should probably be the other way round. But dialog normalization removal, WAVs writing, DirectShow decoding etc are all separate modules in eac3to v2.x which work more or less next to each other. Because of that the order of the log messages is sometimes "funny". No need to worry about that, though...
Yeah, it was obvious...
Old 26th November 2007, 19:10   #1714  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quick question...

Finally got everything working for EAC3 decoding, however all my HD DVD EAC3 tracks that I'm using are recognised as 24bit, is this normal? Or is possibly Nero HD DVD plugin doing something to them that it shouldn't?

Thanks...
Old 26th November 2007, 19:17   #1715  |  Link
nautilus7

Normal. All e-ac3 tracks are 24bit.
Old 26th November 2007, 19:17   #1716  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Almost every time i do a conversion, i like to decode the input and output files to wavs, and compare them in a wave editor like audacity. One channel is enough for this job and my hdd will write it faster. That's the only reason.
Maybe I can add an undocumented option for that... Which channel are you using? Center?
Old 26th November 2007, 19:19   #1717  |  Link
nautilus7

Yes, center. That would be great!
Old 26th November 2007, 19:19   #1718  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
Quick question...

Finally got everything working for EAC3 decoding, however all my HD DVD EAC3 tracks that I'm using are recognised as 24bit, is this normal? Or is possibly Nero HD DVD plugin doing something to them that it shouldn't?

Thanks...
E-AC3 tracks don't really have a defined bitdepth. They are stored in a way where bitdepth doesn't have much meaning, I think. The decoder usually always outputs 24 bit or even floating point.
Old 26th November 2007, 19:22   #1719  |  Link
nautilus7

Madshi, i 've kept you busy with some minor issues and you probably missed post #1700, which is burning me!
Old 26th November 2007, 20:02   #1720  |  Link
hristoff2

Is there a proper way to make a 7.1 -> 6.1 downmix (for DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete encoding)?
(got the encoder, so that's not the problem)

If nobody 'complains' I'm gonna make the Cs [Center Sorround] channel by mixing BL & BR channel.

/edit
6.1 PCM: BL = BR = CS

Last edited by hristoff2; 26th November 2007 at 20:41.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to