Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 20th February 2005, 21:24   #1  |  Link
foobaz
Fooby

Trouble Splitting "Shark Tale" with IfoEdit

Hello every one. This is my first post on this forum so please bear with me.

I have searched both this forum and the web at large and have found nothing useful about the seemingly daunting task of splitting the newly released "Shark Tale" DVD to two DVDs. I have been able to bypass the logo clip and the wearisome and LONG two introductory clips for upcoming DreamWorks movies. This was easily done by changing the first play pgc so it jumps to the main menu:

In VIDEO_TS.IFO->VGM_MAT->First Play PGC->1.Pre Command, change to:

(JumpSS_VTSM) Jump to Titleset Menu Title Nr:1 TitleSet Nr:1 Menu:root

When I play the movie in IfoEdit I get the following:

Title 1 - Title-Set 1 (VTS_01_x.xxx)
Title 59 - Title-Set 23 (VTS_23_x.xxx) This jumps to the main menu

When I hit the 'Play Movie' button I get:

Title 22 - Title-Set 7 (VTS_07_x.xxx) Warning screen
Title 23 - Title-Set 7 (VTS_07_x.xxx) Rating screen
Title 58 - Title-Set 23 (VTS_23_x.xxx) First chapter of the movie

Try as I might I could not bypass Title 22 and 23 but, no matter, they are very brief and you can jump to he next title with the 'jump to' button.

Now when I split the main movie in TitleSet 23 with IfoEdit, after titles 22 and 23 play, I get the dreaded 'Illegal navigation command' error. Keep in mind, I copied over the necessary files to the disc1 directory including all the VTS_01_x.xxx and VTS_07_x.xxx files and I corrected the VTS sectors in IfoEdit so that is not the problem.

I was not able to fix this using any of the obvious methods that have been suggested in these forums.

If you look at the main movie program chain in VTS_23_0.IFO you will notice that PGC_1 has 21 logically laid out chapters as usual. However, PGC_3 has only 11 chapters with roughly the same total time as PGC_1 and if you play individual cells you will see that this also contains the main movie in the same aspect ratio.

I tried splitting at both PGC_1 chapter 17 (cell 46) and at PGC_3 chapter 7 (cell 51). Either way I get the error.

If anyone has successfully dealt with this problem, please post a detailed message explaining how you did it. I, and I think other users, would appreciate it if people didn't post speculations on how to do this unless you have real experience in this area.

Thank you for your help.
foobaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 19:38   #2  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Hi foobaz,

Welcome to the forum and I have backed-up the Shark Tale, but not the way you have going about it which involves using IFOedit exclusively, so it seems.

My backup consisted of trimming all the undesirables with Jsoto's VOBblanker, 2COOL's JUMP2PGC and r0lZ's PGCedit. These three are the musketeers here . I know I mentioned not one but three programs but believe me they can make your life easier. I strongly recommend you use the programs.

By the way, the movie does not warrant 2 disks for I have a very good result after trimmings specifically pertaining to removing all previews and the making ofs.
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 19:54   #3  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Quote:
Originally posted by Surf
These three are the musketeers here .
I like to say jeanl is the 4th musketeer as I got the algorithm from his guide.
Old 21st February 2005, 20:07   #4  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

All for one, one for all!
Old 21st February 2005, 23:05   #5  |  Link
foobaz
Fooby

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Surf. I am able to fit the movie on one disk by stripping streams with IfoEdit and the special features on a second disk (I'm now having problems bypassing the logo clip and unwanted intro featurettes but that's tolerable). I will definitely check out the software you recommend. I would still like to know how to keep everything by splitting to two disks in the usual way with IfoEdit. There must be a way around the illegal navigation error.
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:27   #6  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Quote:
Originally posted by foobaz
I'm now having problems bypassing the logo clip and unwanted intro featurettes
Surf recommended Jump2Pgc, which will help you out by jumping straight to your menu on disc 2.
Old 23rd February 2005, 04:01   #7  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Worked for me. However, you have no spare GPRM. But there are a couple that are used once only. I used GPRM 5, with no problems.

Regards

(Musketeer in training)

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 02:17   #8  |  Link
foobaz
Fooby

How about a detailed description of how you did this for us <<newbies>>?

I'm sure all of you who replied know how to use those tools but I asked for a detailed description of how you were able to split the DVD. I have found the software you recommended and some guides but the learning curve is steep. BTW, PgcEdit is absolutely awesome. I have learned a lot about DVD data structures and programming just by using the trace mode and capturing and then annotating the output. I can't believe this is freeware. Thanks belong to r0lZ for making this available.

How about giving a detailed step-by-step tutorial using this title as an example for all of us who would like to learn the tools. Example is the best way to learn/teach. One example is worth one thousand scattered posts. ;-)

Thanks for the effort to any one who heeds my plea.
Old 4th March 2005, 02:57   #9  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Welcome back foobaz! Unfortunately there is just no one such place where one can just press F1 and all the help is at your fingertips. Please re-read my 1st reply to you, go visit Jsoto's home-page, the guides are just being put up by SWEETNESS. VOBblanker can split your Great White into a nice little bowl of shark fin soup($100 a bowl).

Well, gotta scoot home, post any Q if you're stuck.
Old 4th March 2005, 05:07   #10  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Re: Trouble Splitting "Shark Tale" with IfoEdit

Quote:
Originally posted by foobaz
If you look at the main movie program chain in VTS_23_0.IFO you will notice that PGC_1 has 21 logically laid out chapters as usual. However, PGC_3 has only 11 chapters with roughly the same total time as PGC_1 and if you play individual cells you will see that this also contains the main movie in the same aspect ratio.

I tried splitting at both PGC_1 chapter 17 (cell 46) and at PGC_3 chapter 7 (cell 51). Either way I get the error.
PGC3 is a compliation of scenes from the main movie (it is 3 minutes shorter if you look). They are certain cells accessed by the extras (the Dreamworks Kids Menu). They should be kept in the same cells as the original.

Since the main flick can fit on 1 DVD-5 (VTS23 is well less than 4.3Gb), I would keep it and all the associated extras in VTS23 on disk 1 and the other extras on disk 2.

With regards to navigation errors, you will need to ensure your trace includes every VTS. On my R4 copy, there is a coming attractions promo that plays (3 or 4 mins or so) in VTS6 before even getting to the main menu.

This was a very difficult backup due to the number of titles, and VTSs. It was hard to decide what to keep where.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 4th March 2005 at 05:10.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 17:17   #11  |  Link
foobaz
Fooby

Reply to blutach

PGC3 is a compliation of scenes from the main movie (it is 3 minutes shorter if you look). They are certain cells accessed by the extras (the Dreamworks Kids Menu). They should be kept in the same cells as the original.

I see what you mean. PGC 3 reuses the programs of PGC 1, only it regroups VOB IDs and cells to create menu-accessible snippets from the movie.

Since the main flick can fit on 1 DVD-5 (VTS23 is well less than 4.3Gb), I would keep it and all the associated extras in VTS23 on disk 1 and the other extras on disk 2.

The R1 version is 4.94GB so some audio and subpicture VOB stripping is necessary to fit it on one disc I'm afraid, but no biggie.

On my R4 copy, there is a coming attractions promo that plays (3 or 4 mins or so) in VTS6 before even getting to the main menu.

It is the same on the R1 version.

This was a very difficult backup due to the number of titles, and VTSs. It was hard to decide what to keep where.

It was/is for me, that's for sure.

Thanks for your reply and another piece of the puzzle.
Old 4th March 2005, 17:32   #12  |  Link
foobaz
Fooby

Reply to Surf

Unfortunately there is just no one such place where one can just press F1 and all the help is at your fingertips.

Yes I agree, and that's why I asked for more help. ;-)

go visit Jsoto's home-page, the guides are just being put up by SWEETNESS.

I just dled the VOBBlanker and will definitely try it out.

VOBblanker can split your Great White into a nice little bowl of shark fin soup($100 a bowl).

Very appropriate analogy. M-m-m-m-m, I love shark-fin soup. (Sorry Lenny, no offense meant. )

post any Q if you're stuck.

OK I will. Thanks. Hope you enjoyed the soup.