Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th November 2002, 18:17   #1  |  Link
AlexK

DVD2SVCD 1.1.0 b1a stops after encoding the video information file

Hello,

searching this forum didn't give me an answer for my problem. I upgraded from 1.0.9 b3 (worked fine) to 1.1.0 b1a. But when I use VBR 2 passes with CCE 2.50 SP I often had the problem that DVD2SVCD stops right after encoding the video information file. And when I close DVD2SVCD it tells me that is still active.

Has anybody the same problem ? And is there a possible solution ? The Logfile ends with the avisynth section.

I can post more details (or the log, when I'm at home) if neccessary. Thank you very much for any replies.

Greetings
Alex
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 18:48   #2  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

I have no issue at all and since you are the first to report this I would suspect it's not a bug.

Try uninstalling CCE and re-installing it. I know this has helped others.

Did you completely un-install 1.09.B3 before you upgraded?

Mark
Old 26th November 2002, 17:23   #3  |  Link
AlexK

Hi Mark,

I uninstalled both cce and dvd2svcd. After a Rebbot I first installed cce with the AMD-crc-patch and then dvd2svcd 1.1.0 + lastest update 1.1.0 b1a. Then I tried the DVD (Ice Age) again. The same thing happend: DVD2SVCD stopped right after creating the video information file.

I read the DVD2SVCD faq again and found out that I can also use the secure mode for cce. I tried this and now cce created also the mpeg2 files, but the second mpg2 file didn't work well. The audio was ok but the video itself didn't play (like a photo).

I don't know why this happend. I'll try it later again with the secure mode.

Thanks
Alex
Old 28th November 2002, 21:17   #4  |  Link
mevbo

I too have had this issue, (Not with Ice age though). Here are a few things I have done to get around the problem.
1. Use mpeg2dec2.dll in the frameservers tab instead of mpeg2dec.
2. Use simple resize instead of bicubic.
3. Change bitrate to make only one disc instead of two, I still get good quality .
4. Instead of option 3, lower you bitrate max a little.
5. If all this fails, try a vbr 1 pass with a Q factor of 5. This usually works if nothing else does.

Good luck,

Mevbo
Old 29th November 2002, 07:06   #5  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

Does it even try to continue or is it like CCE didn't even start to make the mpv?

Is the mpv encoding window even there? Does it show that it has done anything?

Try uninstalling CCE and not installing the CRC patch. If you are getting CRC errors this is already an indication of a problem in your hardware that might now be causeing issues with CCE trying to create the mpv. The patch was created for those rare times that there was nothing you could do to fix the problem. The errors are still there, even after the patch. Only it's not reported. This means the video is not as good as it could be. Too many errors and you will have a really bad video. If at all possible do not use the patch. I have used CCE extensively on 4 AMD systems and none ever needed the patch.

Try running the Prime95 torture test that you can find linked in the Q+A. Give it at least overnight. If you cannot run this that long then you will need to figure out what is your problem.

Mark

Last edited by markrb; 29th November 2002 at 07:16.
markrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 10:14   #6  |  Link
chris12

Hi

A friend of mine had the same problem with cce.
That problem did not appear everytime and not with every release.
Because he thougt having a problem with his Motherboard he found out that one of his 256MB Ram were crap took it out and could use from now on cce in one try without freezing.
Sounds strange
But worked for him
chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 15:24   #7  |  Link
AlexK

Hi,

thanks for the kind replies. In the meantime I was able to circumvent this problem (not a real fix but a possible solution). I tried a lot of your hints, read the faq for cce, etc.

I found out that when I use the safe mode for cce it runs much more stable (of course slower) than without this feature. I was able to do

- a cbr encoding
- a vbr 1 pass encoding

of Ice Age without any problems. I tried it several times and it worked fine.

But for

- a vbr 2-pass encoding

it was also neccessary to do the whole process 3 times to get a fully encoded SVCD (even with safe mode). The first and the second try created a strange result: the encoding was completely done but at a certain point the movie suddenly stopped but the audio played as normal. But the third try created a fully excellent encoded movie (I checked it in my DVD software player).

It's not the best solution for me but it is a way to get at least a fully working SVCD backup. But I will also try your other hints of course´and will post my results.

My system is not overclocked, 1 x Samsung brand DDR333 memory with 512MB and AMD XP 2000+ based on an EPOX 8K3A+ motherboard. I'll also try prime95. Of course I need a little bit time to try all your hints.

One question: is there any disadvantage when I'm using the safe mode (beside the lowered encoding speed).

Again, thank you for thze kind help. DVD2SVCD is a fantastic all-in-one tool and this board is a very good dvd resource with a lot of kind members.

Greetings to all
Alex
Old 29th November 2002, 15:28   #8  |  Link
AlexK

@markb

Sorry,

I forgot your question. When I didn't use the safe mode for cce on a 2-pass vbr encoding the encoding of the video information file normally works but after this the cce mpeg2-encoding didn't start at all. And when I close DVD2SVCD it tells me that it's active.

Greetings
Alex
Old 29th November 2002, 18:11   #9  |  Link
LdSr

Hi,
I had this problem a few days ago, with a little mucking around, I found the problem. If you let DVD2SVCD do the ripping for you, you should look into the source directory (or the directory you saved your ripped stuff) and make sure all the VOB files are in correct file size.
My problem was my first VOB was 800mb but it suppost to be 1000mb.
I just switched from internal ripping to vStrip, and it worked fine.

Hope that helps,
LS
LdSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 19:09   #10  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

@LdSr that is the way the internal routines and Vstrip work.
Vstrip makes all the Vob files the same size if it can by copying from the other Vob on the disc. DVD2SVCD does not do this. If the Vob on the DVD is smaller after removing any unwanted files it keeps it this size. So this is the way it's suppose to work.

Plus why would other encode methods work if the Vob's are messed up?

@AlexK does this happen on all DVD's or just this one? Try another DVD as a test.
Have you tried the Prime95 torture test yet? Do so before going to much further. If there is an issue with your computer nothing we say will help.

Mark
Old 29th November 2002, 21:44   #11  |  Link
LdSr

Markrb,
Ok..I'll take your word for it. Nevertheless, switching from internal ripping to vStrip worked for me.

LdSr
LdSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 23:22   #12  |  Link
AlexK

Hi MarkB,

I planed to run prime95 this night. Tomorrow I'll post the result. After this test (tomorrow) I'll try another dvd. I'll keep you informed.

Greetings
Alex
Old 1st December 2002, 01:47   #13  |  Link
mrbass

I ripped Ice Age with internal routines and used CBR cuz it was like only 80mins. I had zero problems.
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2002, 08:14   #14  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

mrbass you always point out the obvious that nobody else, including me, can see.
At 80 minutes why waste time on VBR. A 2 disc CBR is around 2450 Kbit. Pretty decent quality.

Mark
Old 2nd December 2002, 15:54   #15  |  Link
AlexK

Hello,

sorry for my late posting. I tried prim95 for about 8 hours. It reported nop warnings and no errors. So far so good.

I tried it again with another DVD (The Fast and the Furious) and VBR 2 pass /b Safe Mode and cce 2.50 SP. The video information file was created and the conversion starts as normal. But after a while I got an encoding error from cce. I tried it three times witth the same results.

I searched for the problem and found out that

- on my Win 2000 with ASPI 4.72 installed the (with internal routines, vstrip and smartripper) ripped vob's had errors when playing in Power DVD software player

- on my Win98 with standard aspi the ripped vob's seems to be of a much better quality (but also not perfect)

I don't understand this difference because the aspi seems to be correct installed on Win2000. And the DVD-Rom Toshiba SD-M1612 works on Win98 much better than on Win2000 - why ?

I assume that the ripped vob's are not ok and that will produce the cce errors later.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alex
Old 2nd December 2002, 15:57   #16  |  Link
AlexK

Hi,

I forgot one thing: I noticed this already and exchanged my DVD drive but I got the same bad results. And on Win98 it reads much better than on Win2000. And I copied already about 15 DVD's so far without any problems.

Greetings
Alex
Old 2nd December 2002, 17:23   #17  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

Well it's at least good that we found out most likely the problem is in the ripping stage. With bad VOB files you can't do much.

I would suggest you remove the Aspi drivers you currently have and get the Force Aspi drivers from the doom9 website. They are based on an older release and some have reported problems with it and the newer OS's, but it has been working for me in XP since XP came out.

You may also want to try the Aspi drivers that are on DVD2SVCD's homepage as well. They seemed to work better for most people, but I had issues with them.

Also make sure you have the latest firmware for your DVD drive.

Mark
Old 3rd December 2002, 14:39   #18  |  Link
AlexK

Hi,

I deleted my Win2000 aspi drivers with forceaspi. After a reboot I checked with aspixchk that the aspi layer was removed (one part mu´st be deleted manually as stated in the doc). Then I installed the aspi layer from doom9, which is a Adaptec aspi layer 4.7x. I rebooted my system and checked again with aspichk. So far everything was properly installed. Then I tried ripping two different DVDs: Ice Age and Ronin with DVD2SVCD internal routines, vstrip and DVDDecrypter 3.1.4.0.

I checked the ripped VOB's in my Power DVD and found some small errors (macro blocks ?). Then I compared it with the original DVD and found no errors.

What I don't understand is the following:

when I rip this DVD's on the same PC on my Win98 system with the standard Win98 aspi layer (I think 1.0.0.1) the ripped vob's are much better (but also not 100 percent perfect). Does anybody have a similar expierience and / or a solution ?

Now I'm trying to rip under Win98 and do´the other parts on Win2000. I'll post my results.

Thanks for any hint.

Greetings
Alex
Old 4th December 2002, 01:50   #19  |  Link
mrbass

If I was in your shoes I'd take out the dvd-rom from the win98 computer and throw it in the win2000 computer and then rip it. Sounds like a bad dvd-rom or at least bad firmware for the dvd-rom in the current one with win2000.
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2002, 10:27   #20  |  Link
AlexK

@mrBass

Sorry,

perhaps I explained it not good enough:

It's the same computer and of course the same DVD-Rom with the same firmware. My PC is a multiboot system (DOS, Win98 and Win2000). On Win98 the ripping is nearly perfect, but in Win2000 the ripping produces macro blocks in the ripped vob-files. Again, the aspi drivers are properly installed. And even DVDDecrypter (with the SPT-access) produces this errors in the vob-files.

That's what I can't understand.

Greetings
Alex