Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 29th July 2004, 12:25   #1  |  Link
winnuh

Projector problem

I have googled my ass off and wandered through many forums. Hopefully one of you people can enlighten me with this specific problem.
First of all, this is the setup:

Athlon XP based PC
Geforce 3
this system is connected to a projector through the vga output.

Now... Whenever watching a movie(dvd/divx) and a fast scene comes up, especially during horizontal panning, a horizontal line appears in the middle of the image. It's like the lower half cannot keep up with the upper half.
Could this be a refresh rate problem? It's now set to 1024x768@60Hz. Whenever the refresh rate is increased(i.e. 75Hz) the image gets kind of shaky/distorted. I actually never tried watching a movie @75 Hz because of that reason. I will try that tomorrow, but it would be nice to get some answers to help me in the right direction.
winnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 13:10   #2  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

A projector is a device that knows nothing about motion in the picture.
It recieves the same amount on pixels all the time.

I guess the problem is already in your computer (maybe you just don't see it when watching on the computer display). I know this effect from the WMR 7 and especially there WMR 9 direct show output "device".

To check wether this is indeed the problem you could set your player to use a different renderer. If you can't set that in your player, try Media Player Classic and in the View->Options->Playback->Output, set DirectShow Video to Overlay Mixer (eventually you need to restart the player).
Old 30th July 2004, 06:35   #3  |  Link
Joe Fenton

Projectors use LCD displays. LCDs have slow update rates. Displaying at 60Hz is too fast for the LCD to keep up. That's why LCDs are unpopular with gamers.
Joe Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote