Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 10th January 2003, 00:59   #21  |  Link
1loser

I truly love my AIW 7500

Quote:
Originally posted by ^^-+I4004+-^^
>anyone that says AIW has acceptable quality should check their eyes first.....i can't name a device that has image blurred as ATI.......(ohh yes i can:ATI with "noise reduction" ON...)
Here is an example of a AIW 7500 capture. I saved it as an avi file with NO filters using the PIC video codec set to 19 (20 gives the highest quality but the file size is 2 1/4 times larger. Using the codec compression set to 19 yields 1 hour = 9.5 GB's. I also used iuVCR and captured at 640x480 with it perfectly in sync. This is the best addition to my computer, the remote control is fantastic also. I paid $120.00 and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

My first impression of the card wasn't so good because I didn't know the first thing about capturing but once I learned of the PIC Video codec and learned a few more things (recently using iuVCR instead of virtualdub sync) I realized how good this card really is.

Capture sample 1, Capture sample 2, you can take a look at the samples or download it by right-clicking and selecting save target as.

Last edited by 1loser; 10th January 2003 at 01:32.
1loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2003, 02:36   #22  |  Link
cjv

Nice shot (the blonde)

What is your source? And did you use S-Video, Composite, or ATI built-in tuner?

cjv
cjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2003, 03:38   #23  |  Link
1loser

Quote:
Originally posted by cjv
Nice shot (the blonde)

What is your source? And did you use S-Video, Composite, or ATI built-in tuner?

cjv
Cable TV with ATI's tuner. This is my first capture card and I think the tuner is excellent and changes channels very fast. If I use ATI's software to capture it does get a little out of sync since it doesn't have the extra features that virtualdub sync and iuVCR does to keep everything in sync. I also read several good tips here at the forum that made my capturing experience much better.

1) try not to run anything in the background like antivirus software.

2) don't use the computer while capturing

3) use a very faster drive with a 8 mb cache

4) install a PCI ATA controller card to run your capture drive only!

5) use a bat file to start the program in high priority "Start/high iuVCR.exe" or change in task manager to high priority.

6) use Pic Video codec set to compression of 19 to keep quality high but file size reasonable. 9.5 GB's per 60 minutes at 640x480. The final MPEG-2 file size will be under 795 mb's at 1850 video bitrate and 192 audio bitrate with 53 minutes of edited video.

Thanks goes to all those that have made posts that helped me to achieve great capturing results!
Old 10th January 2003, 04:08   #24  |  Link
^^-+I4004+-^^
Banned

>Originally posted by ^^-+I4004+-^^
>anyone that says AIW has acceptable quality should check their eyes first.....

me first?
LOL!

hi-res ati stuff doesn't look so bad these days....
bt8x8 is still a bit more flexible with sharpening (if needed) of
bt8x8 tweaker,etc.

>Nice shot (the blonde)

no,the black girl is more interesting!
(hehe)

Last edited by ^^-+I4004+-^^; 10th January 2003 at 04:12.
^^-+I4004+-^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2003, 06:14   #25  |  Link
NeVeRLiFt
Shadowrunner

Quote:
Originally posted by ^^-+I4004+-^^

bt8x8 is still a bit more flexible with sharpening (if needed) of
bt8x8 tweaker,etc.

Me and others have been giving ATI a hard time over this and a few other things... I believe MMC 8.1 or later will address this and maybe a few other things.

I really pushed hard for them to make their MMC do more stuff like AVI_IO and iuVCR... in terms of AVI formats... multi-segment captures, pause and resume function and the option to adjust codec's from within MMC. And lots more

Another tool I recommend anyone to have is Stinky's Reg tool for MMC.
It allows for some denoise and sharper/softer effect's... this is all capable... just well hidden in the registry by ATI. It also lets you adjust the Mpeg1 and Mpeg2 capture profiles so you can tweak out even more quality with certain settings that ATI seems to think the avg user should not know about or have access to.

And thanks ^^-+I4004+-^^ glad you liked my sample's... as for the war's from my past I believe if i had showed samples then alot of it could have been avoided maybe(I never once lied and just stated to the best of my ability how to make nice quality 1cd encode's from DVDrips).
Thanks be to Orbman for hosting my samples and to the other kind soul for making that website the guide I made. I wanna add two more guides to it both using iuVCR. One for XviD captures using the Cyberlink deinterlace filter and the other for one for how to capture using WMV9 @ 320x240 resolution.

Just trying to help others and have fun

As for deinterlacing....
I prefer deinterlacing since I also tend to watching alot of stuff on my monitor... even though I have a 29" TV right beside my PC.
I even tend to watch TV on my PC in a little 320x240 window most times while I do stuff.
NeVeRLiFt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2003, 14:41   #26  |  Link
Valky

To Neverlift: Just watched those samples and tried your method with Xvid and iuvcr.

I have to say that I am really pleased with the results
I can't capture with such high resolutions cause I have VIA motherboard and there is some line-bugs with high resolutions like 640x480 but I can barely capture with that same resolution 512X

I was just wondering what bitrate or other settings you used with Xvid, cause I couldn't find your guide you mentioned. I just tried without b-frames and constant bitrate 1200.

Any chance to cut garbage from capture on the fly? I mean couple of pixels from vhs tapes from bottom and top?
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2003, 22:59   #27  |  Link
NeVeRLiFt
Shadowrunner

Quote:
Originally posted by Valky
To Neverlift: Just watched those samples and tried your method with Xvid and iuvcr.

I have to say that I am really pleased with the results
I can't capture with such high resolutions cause I have VIA motherboard and there is some line-bugs with high resolutions like 640x480 but I can barely capture with that same resolution 512X

I was just wondering what bitrate or other settings you used with Xvid, cause I couldn't find your guide you mentioned. I just tried without b-frames and constant bitrate 1200.

Any chance to cut garbage from capture on the fly? I mean couple of pixels from vhs tapes from bottom and top?
Hi,

This method I use I got from Birdy. I only used iuVCR to do wmv9 captures using a 320x240 res. I used AVI_IO before this.

Birdy noticed that you could apply filters to captures in iuVCR and now this where we are with it.

iuVCR has a crop filter. iulab video crop is the name I believe.
I have not tried it thou.

I have a VIA chipset based mobo... Abit KT7A and I have a SoundBlaster Live series card. I have no problems with it but I followed Pauls faq/guide.
And I run a AthlonXP 1800+ o/c to 1649mhz on this mobo.

I use 1-pass quantizer mode for when I capture, try 6-4 for the quantz's and see how it works out.
in advanced settings I leave everything like they would be if I was doing a 2-pass encode.
Old 15th January 2003, 00:52   #28  |  Link
1loser

Deinterlace Filter link

Quote:
Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt
And for some freaky quality... Birdy using his PAL based Satellite with S-Video-in shows off his captures here using XviD and the Cyberlink filter! Must be seen to be believed

http://homey.dyndns.org/vid/index.asp?page=19
I would like to get this Deinterlace Filter but it seems it was removed. If you are able to put it back or provide another link that would be great. Thanks.
Old 15th January 2003, 02:25   #29  |  Link
NeVeRLiFt
Shadowrunner

Re: Deinterlace Filter link

Quote:
Originally posted by 1loser
I would like to get this Deinterlace Filter but it seems it was removed. If you are able to put it back or provide another link that would be great. Thanks.

http://homey.dyndns.org/vid/incoming/birdy/Filter.exe

Let me know if this link works for you ok.
Old 15th January 2003, 03:46   #30  |  Link
1loser

Re: Re: Deinterlace Filter link

Quote:
http://homey.dyndns.org/vid/incoming/birdy/Filter.exe

Let me know if this link works for you ok.
I got the filter and it works. I was just wondering if the quality is reduced? Is seems to be very good but I still need to spend some time with it. Thank you
Old 15th January 2003, 09:31   #31  |  Link
NeVeRLiFt
Shadowrunner

The best way to test the filter and see if it effect quality... capture using Huffyuv and use the filter, see what you think.
Old 19th January 2003, 07:38   #32  |  Link
1loser

Quote:
The best way to test the filter and see if it effect quality... capture using Huffyuv and use the filter, see what you think.
This filter works very well.

When you use a de-interlace filter while capturing does in become a progressive video? It seems I should select progressive frames and zigzag scanning order in cinema craft.

When I use the project wizard in TMPGEnc it says the captured video is interlaced even thou I used the de-interlace filter.
Old 23rd March 2003, 00:35   #33  |  Link
Lascala

Hi There a newbees first post!
I happened 2 have a
Aver DVD EZmaker kit pairing with Ulead Mediastudio pro since 1 month ago & it gives good results.
I think this card is really good 4 that cheep money,but im only in it 4 fun!Edited some videos 4 my Wifes Oriental Performence & Playing with home made music videos.
Ive using a parabol (SIRIUS) SCART 2 a Svhs video player & from that1 2 da card composite cable,i also use composite 2 my tv.
My computer is p3-1000 512meg.Im also using vegas video4 but that ap is really much slower in capturing than Ulead,could b some fiddling around there 2.
First i got strange lines in capture via Svhs cable,
tryed everything,changing card possitions etc, moving eletric cable around 2 different connections,ihad 2 stay with composite.
Well,i prefer mpeg2 cause the files goes 2 big otherways.
Sorry 4 my poor English.Hope u got something from al this fantastic cool guys here,as i said im ust a newbee on this matter of capturing.
But im Smoth satisfied.
Greetings.
LaScala