Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 19th February 2009, 20:17   #8321  |  Link
MuteyM

HDConcertRipper

@Jeff Flowerday and others who have requested the ability to split eac3to output by chapter for concerts and such, I have whipped up a little GUI to do just that!

After selecting the disc to split, it lets you choose which audio stream to use and which chapters you want to output. You can also edit the metadata and chapter names. eac3to is then called to demux the disc, and HDCR then splits it into individual FLAC files. WMA9 Pro 5.1 is also supported for output, for those that have a receiver that can process it (Windows Media Encoder must be installed for this to work.)

Currently HDCR only supports HD DVD, but Blu-Ray support is next on my to-do list.

Download it at:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=45O7LO1S

Or see the official thread

Last edited by MuteyM; 20th February 2009 at 04:18. Reason: Link to thread
Old 20th February 2009, 16:20   #8322  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuteyM View Post
@Jeff Flowerday and others who have requested the ability to split eac3to output by chapter for concerts and such, I have whipped up a little GUI to do just that!

After selecting the disc to split, it lets you choose which audio stream to use and which chapters you want to output. You can also edit the metadata and chapter names. eac3to is then called to demux the disc, and HDCR then splits it into individual FLAC files. WMA9 Pro 5.1 is also supported for output, for those that have a receiver that can process it (Windows Media Encoder must be installed for this to work.)

Currently HDCR only supports HD DVD, but Blu-Ray support is next on my to-do list.

Download it at:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=45O7LO1S

Or see the official thread
Thanks, I already wrote myself a chapter to cue sheet converter so I'm fine using foobar2000.

Last edited by Jeff Flowerday; 20th February 2009 at 21:12.
Old 20th February 2009, 20:24   #8323  |  Link
mrr19121970

@Madshi

I though that eac3to had died on me:

Code:
eac3to.exe "D:\"
just the black DOS box, no progress bar or 'working on it message'. It turns out that Swiderwick Cronicles has 284 playlists, hence the delay:

CLIPINFO & PLAYLIST

is there any chance of adding the '----' progress bar here too ?

Thanks.
Old 21st February 2009, 02:58   #8324  |  Link
Kythe

Madshi,
First of all, thank you for a superb product.

Second, I'm repeatedly getting a rather odd error that I haven't gotten in the past. The log file ends:

Quote:
[a04] Extracting audio track number 4...
[a04] Extracting TrueHD stream...
[a04] Removing TrueHD dialog normalization...
[a04] Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
[a04] Encoding FLAC with libFlac...
[a04] Creating file "c:\proc\tlb\tlb.flac"...
[a04] [libav] Lossless check failed - expected 0, calculated 84 <WARNING>
[a04] The original audio track has a constant bit depth of 16 bits.
[a04] Superfluous zero bytes detected, will be stripped in 2nd pass.
[a04] Starting 2nd pass...
[a04] Decoding FLAC...
[a04] Reducing depth from 24 to 16 bits...
[a04] Encoding FLAC with libFlac...
[a04] Creating file "c:\proc\tlb\tlb.flac"...
[a04] The FLAC decoder thread seems to hang. <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 1164103859. <ERROR>
This is an attempt to extract a TrueHD from a blu-ray disk image, and put it into a flac container.
What can cause this, and how might it be solved? Could there be limitations in the hardware (the memory may be a bit low on the processing computer)?

Last edited by Kythe; 21st February 2009 at 03:00.
Old 21st February 2009, 09:30   #8325  |  Link
gigah72

i'm trying to get a hd 23.976 movie to 24.000fps. with speedup it becomes 25fps. how to get it to exact 24fps, so i can mux it into m2ts with 24fps?
Old 21st February 2009, 10:03   #8326  |  Link
Snowknight26

-changeTo24.000
Old 21st February 2009, 13:11   #8327  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Is eac3to success.wav and eac3to error.wav supposed to fail detecting the file type?
Oooops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorati View Post
Is it possible to generate the Filename of the Streamnumber with 2 Digits?? (00001 - 02 - VC-1, 1080p24.vc1 instead of 00001 - 2 - VC-1, 1080p24.vc1) to have the right order under windows?
XP and newer OSs automatically sort the tracks correctly even with only 1 digit. Are you using an older OS than XP?

Quote:
Is it possible to skip the last Chapter, when the Last Chapter is = Movie-Length?
Yes, that should be possible.

Quote:
And is it possible to have one option to create the Chapters.txt in a format to direkt use in TsMuxer?
Possible, yes. But I don't want to do it. I don't like the idea of adding a multitude of different switches for a multitude of different programs out there. tsMuxeR has been requested, so has foobar2000. Maybe there are more. I'd have to add one switch for any such application. I don't like that idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairlgmc View Post
1 - have 24bit/48khz 5.1 dts output via spdif. (presume yes if core is encoded as such)
2 - have the above tagged as DTS 24/96 if necessary to kick the AV32 into life.(what i am unsure of)
3 - Core is ok if it will achieve 2 above. So far my tag has not lit up to say 24/96 - just vanilla DTS
It doesn't make any sense to flag the DTS 96/24, if it isn't really encoded that way. Actually it would play incorrectly, if we did.

If the original DTS-HD track is 96khz then the core may be 96khz or 48khz. So extracting the core may be what you need - or not. Depending on how the studio encoded the track. eac3to lists both the core and DTS-HD track properties, so you always see whether the core is 96khz or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Code:
D:\Movies>eac3to test.mkv
MKV, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 0:05:22, 24p
1: h264/AVC, 1280x544 23.999p
2: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz
v01 The video bitstream is encoded in a non-standard framerate.
v01 The video bitstream framerate field doesn't match the container framerate.
[...]

Edit: I found the solution. A remux in mkvmerge with a timecode file (24,000 fps) solved the autoframerate problem
Maybe that solved the specific playback problem you had. But it will not modify the video bitstream from 23.999p to 24.000p. If you want to do that, you can use eac3to's "-changeTo24.000" option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuteyM View Post

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr19121970 View Post
I though that eac3to had died on me:

Code:
eac3to.exe "D:\"
just the black DOS box, no progress bar or 'working on it message'. It turns out that Swiderwick Cronicles has 284 playlists, hence the delay

CLIPINFO & PLAYLIST

is there any chance of adding the '----' progress bar here too ?
Yeah, should be possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythe View Post
Second, I'm repeatedly getting a rather odd error that I haven't gotten in the past.
That's a strange error. To be honest, I've no idea what causes it. I suppose your harddisk has enough space left? And your CPU is not overheated?

Does anybody else have this problem?
Old 21st February 2009, 18:27   #8328  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

is it possible to generate a chapter list like this:

00:01:00.111
00:02:03.115

etc. without the chapter names, etc.

This is useful for us converting to dvd as well.

Not sure if can be done or not...jsut asking.
Old 21st February 2009, 19:56   #8329  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
is it possible to generate a chapter list like this:

00:01:00.111
00:02:03.115
Not to be harsh, but I've replied to the very same question just one post above yours. You may really want to at least browse through the last 3 pages before asking for a feature...
Old 21st February 2009, 20:08   #8330  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Maybe that solved the specific playback problem you had. But it will not modify the video bitstream from 23.999p to 24.000p. If you want to do that, you can use eac3to's "-changeTo24.000" option.
thx, will keep that in mind for the next strange muxed video...
Old 21st February 2009, 20:20   #8331  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
XP and newer OSs automatically sort the tracks correctly even with only 1 digit. Are you using an older OS than XP?
Only explorer sorts them logically for humans - I can imagine the calls MS support would get if it didn't! Batch commands such as DIR and FOR will sort them in the strictly correct order though (e.g. 10 before 9).

As far as I'm concerned I've got a step in my demux batch script to zero pad any single digit filenames after the eac3to demux so I'm not bothered either way about this.
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:24   #8332  |  Link
monohouse

-----

Last edited by monohouse; 17th January 2012 at 00:47.
Old 22nd February 2009, 07:15   #8333  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monohouse View Post
is there a way or option to disable 2nd pass ?
Which kind of 2nd pass? For removing clipping? For fixing audio gaps/overlaps? Something else? I don't really see why you would want to skip any of that. IMHO it should all be done.
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:01   #8334  |  Link
monohouse

-----

Last edited by monohouse; 17th January 2012 at 00:47.
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:56   #8335  |  Link
six172

Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for several weeks and trying to digest all the information you guys have given me.

Madshi, thanks so much for a wonderful tool this has helped out so much.

I have been able to backup several of my HD-DVD movies and move them into MKV for playback on my Western Digital My TV, which I love. All of the discs with DD+ I am able to convert over to DTS and they play fine with very few errors. Although I am running into a problem, I do have 5 or so discs with Dolby TrueHD on them and I want to get those moved over to my WD as well. I have tried converting the audio to RAW, FLAC, PCM, and LPCM with no success. Every time I do I just get a Dolby Digital sound not the TrueHD sound that I am looking for. I have a Pioneer VSX-92 that supports all of the formats and would be able to decode the audio if only I could get it sent over. I am not concerned with space, since it's only 5 movies so 50 gigs per movie is not a big deal. I just want to know if it can be done.

Currently I am backing the movies up with AnyDVDHD, then using EVOdemux to join the two EVO files, and remove the TrueHD track. I then open Eac3to and change the audio over to whatever format (PCM,LPCM,FLAC) then I use either TSmuxer to combine the files to make either an M2ts or a TS file, although I get an error in TSmuxer that says it "Can't detect stream type." I also use Ripbot 264 to create an MKV files, which like I said play fine, but it's not TrueHD.

So my question is really, has anyone successfully been able to convert the audio and video into a container like TS or MKV?

I appreciate your responses and I hope you will forgive my Newbiness.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:17   #8336  |  Link
gigah72

Quote:
Originally Posted by six172 View Post
...my HD-DVD movies and move them into MKV for playback on my Western Digital My TV, which I love. All of the discs with DD+ I am able to convert over to DTS and they play fine with very few errors. Although I am running into a problem, I do have 5 or so discs with Dolby TrueHD on them and I want to get those moved over to my WD as well. I have tried converting the audio to RAW, FLAC, PCM, and LPCM with no success. Every time I do I just get a Dolby Digital sound not the TrueHD sound that I am looking for. I have a Pioneer VSX-92 that supports all of the formats and would be able to decode the audio if only I could get it sent over. I am not concerned with space, since it's only 5 movies so 50 gigs per movie is not a big deal. I just want to know if it can be done.

from WD i know only the HD TV: http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...d=1001&lang=en

it's HDMI 1.2, no passthrough of THD & and other new stuff, so the problem is not with eac3to or your pioneer.
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:22   #8337  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
unless it shouldn't, clipping removal changes the signal when in reality clipping only matters when you can actually hear it, if you can't then it isn't clipping (not to mention clipping removal is a subjective thing (when performed in a digital fashion), and usually belongs to the sound mastering department (meaning there are plugins [VST etc] which are better equipped and are more suited for this kind of work), but if you are changing the signal you will always hear the changes because the changes are digital (see that's the thing, im still not quite sure how you define eac3to to be, is it an mastering tool ? (because it does perform dither and such) or is it a converter ?, or you still haven't decided on borders for the program ?)
I'm sorry to say, but you don't really seem to know what you're talking about. There are 2 totally different situations:

(1) If you have floating point data where some samples have a peak which is out of spec, converting this audio data to PCM would result in clipping. Solving this problem is extremely easy: It's just lowering the volume of the whole track a little to make sure that no audio samples have too high peaks. This is an absolutely lossless process (if done in floating point). The signal is not changed (just the volume is changed), it is not a subjective thing, and nobody will hear the difference (except for the volume difference and the solved clipping artifacts, obviously). And no VST plugin can do that any better than eac3to. I would call this process "clipping prevention".

(2) If you have a PCM track which was converted without "clipping prevention", then some VST plugins can detect that and can try to undo the damage. This is a complicated and error prone process which is difficult to do and really changes the signal. I'd call this "clipping repair". eac3to doesn't even try to do that.

So again: There is no reason whatsoever to disable eac3to's clipping prevention system. It has no disadvantages (I know of). Except longer processing time, of course...

And dithering: If eac3to is supposed to output PCM tracks from any source then there's no other way than to use dithering. It's a necessary evil if you want to reduce audio bitdepth or if you want to convert floating point audio data to PCM. If I removed dithering, eac3to would lose half of its functionality.

Quote:
the gap/overlap is sometimes wrong
Then send me a sample and I'll try to fix it.

Last edited by madshi; 22nd February 2009 at 11:26.
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:24   #8338  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@six172, you may want to ask on the tsMuxeR thread or on a "Western Digital My TV" thread, if there is any such. Can't help you out since this is not an eac3to related problem.
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:03   #8339  |  Link
mrr19121970

Quote:
@six172, you may want to ask on the tsMuxeR thread or on a "Western Digital My TV" thread, if there is any such. Can't help you out since this is not an eac3to related problem.
@sixt, you're doing a very long winded process with out dated software. drop EVOdemux, get tsMuxeR v1.8.18, wait for eac3to 3.12 (that fixes the HD-DVD stream language issue) and try again.

Please see here:
eacto, tsMuxer & ImgBurn Made Easy

for a very comfortable solution to what you're trying to acheive.
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:51   #8340  |  Link
halsboss
likes to tinker

Hi, a newbie seeking advice. Hoping to convert arbitrary HDTV .ac3 (could be any kbs, #channels) to 224k 2-channel .ac3 but I am not sure what the options do. So far, I have guessed
Code:
"C:\SOFTWARE\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "T80 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3" "T80 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms-eac3to.ac3" -224 -down2 -mixlfe -resampleTo48000 +6db
but am not sure what "-mixlfe" does. Or "-phaseshift". The ac3 always seems very quiet so I bumped it up by an arbitrary 6db.

Can someone please explain and confirm I'm doing the right thing ?

I gather DRC is a good thing since it lessens the difference between loud things such as bangs and normal speaking, so when increasing the volume so I can hear them speaking (I'm slightly deaf) it won't blow the family away when a bang occurs... is that right ? and if so, can we do DRC with eac3to ? (I only have the eac3to and no Nero etc).

Last edited by halsboss; 22nd February 2009 at 12:56.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to