Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th May 2015, 23:33   #19181  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Nev, today I (finally) tried the big jump from Haali splitter to LAV splitter for matroska.
I was worried how LAV subs selection would work but the Advanced mode can replicate exactly how I had Haali set up, that's perfect.

However I notice opening files + going to previous/next chapter is significantly slower with LAV.
While it's pretty much instantaneous with Haali, it takes up to 2-3 seconds with LAV.
I play the files from local HDD so the "Stream Analysis Duration" setting has no effect.
Similarly the "Maximum Queue Memory" setting didn't seem to change anything.
I use LAV Video decoder in both cases (when using LAV or Haali splitter)..
The video format is h264.
Actually the only thing that changes in the chain when testing is the splitter.

Would you have any idea what this slight delay could be due to?

Last edited by TheShadowRunner; 16th May 2015 at 23:35.
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 04:10   #19182  |  Link
kiwijunglist

Downmixing

Hi

Q: If I set surround mix level to sq(.5) ie 0.701 then does clicking normalize matrix in a 7.1 to 5.1 dowmix actually do anything? ie. Isn't it already normalized? Because I would guess that mixing two channels together at a 0.701 would be 1.0?

The reason I ask is because I'd like have my cake and eat it to, ie
1. Avoid a large reduction in dynamic range/volume due to the normalization
2. AND also have settings where clipping is unlikely to happen.

I read earlier in this thread that in most situations using clipping protection, you usually only decrease volume by a factor of 1.2x (whereas normalization gives a 2.4x reduction ). So I thought if I set mix level to 0.8 (or maybe sq(0.8)=0.774), and enabled clipping protection I would be in a situation where I had a smaller amount of volume reduction and activation of the clipping protection would be very very infrequent.

ie.

Mix to 5.1 = Yes
Normalize Matrix = No
Clipping protection = Yes
Surround Mix = 0.8 or 0.774

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks
Kiwi

PS: Well done on adding support for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD!
kiwijunglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 08:04   #19183  |  Link
mogli

@kiwi
Loudness-wise you're correct, since it means adding the squares, i.e. sqrt(0.5)^2 + sqrt(0.5)^2 = 1.
However clipping-wise your wrong, since this means plain adding, i.e. sqrt(0.5) + sqrt(0.5) ~= 1.4.
So you either need to normalize by dividing by about 1.4 or use the clipping protection to lower the volume only when needed.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 10:09   #19184  |  Link
burfadel

I tried out the latest nightly, LAVFilters-0.65.0-8.exe, and it caused Staxrip not to work. The issue was the QAAC audio encoder was failing. I tried reinstalling LAVFilters-0.65.0-8.exe with no avail, but version LAVFilters-0.65.0-7.exe seems to work fine. Actually, LAVFilters-0.65.0-7.exe is what I have been running for a few days without this issue.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 10:12   #19185  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

-8 only had a minor insignificant change in the build script compared to -7, there must be something else broken for you.
Old 21st May 2015, 10:22   #19186  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I could not imagine how LAV Filters could interfer with QAAC, specifically. If at all, decoding your audio source via DirectShow may fail?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 10:39   #19187  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Is Intel IGP's "copy back" data routing somewhat different from AMD's and Nvidia's?
I'm trying to figure out the best decoding strategy for G1830 + madVR.

Last edited by Qaq; 21st May 2015 at 13:18.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 12:37   #19188  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
-8 only had a minor insignificant change in the build script compared to -7, there must be something else broken for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
I could not imagine how LAV Filters could interfer with QAAC, specifically. If at all, decoding your audio source via DirectShow may fail?
I worked out the issue. Well, more precisely worked out why it was failing and how to fix it.

I'm running Windows 10 TP, and build 10122 was released. Windows didn't quite update as cleanly as it should have, and the reason why I thought it was LAVF is that I updated it at the same time. Strangely enough, installing the older version immediately made it work for two encodes... until I stopped it and started it again! I previously also reinstalled the Apple Application support etc.

So, I ran the latest Auslogics Regcleaner (with all the check areas selected on the left). Could possibly have been a media filter registry error or something... It seems to be working flawlessly now on the latest build of LAV Filters, no matter if I stop and start it again etc.

You can download it here:
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-cleaner/

So keep in mind those with Windows 10 TP and on the fast path, that there may be a media filter anomaly after you update!

Edit:
Well, I stopped and rebooted and started it again (I got curious about it)... Sure enough, it failed continuously (went on to the next file and same thing). Anyways, I stopped it, started it again, dropped it down to the system tray and it works. So, after all that, it could be a NET Framework issue... I don't know lol. Windows 10 10122 issue.

Last edited by burfadel; 21st May 2015 at 13:08.
Old 21st May 2015, 15:18   #19189  |  Link
stax76

I'm also on Win10 build 10122 and latest LAV Filters nightly, no problem with the win update, qaac or anything else except a annoying Win10 bug I had from the beginning.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 00:48   #19190  |  Link
mkanet

How do I upmix stereo to 5.1 audio? I tried searching for this topic, only to find other people asking to do the same thing. I tried selecting Enable Mixing + Output Speaker Configuration = 5.1... and also selected Dolby Pro Logic II encoding. However, none of that made any difference. I'm hoping I don't have to install ffdshow just to be able to get upmix audio to work, but it's starting to look that way.

I found a directshow matrix mixer which seems to specifically support upmixing.
http://matrix-mixer.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by mkanet; 24th May 2015 at 00:59.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 01:36   #19191  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
How do I upmix stereo to 5.1 audio? I tried searching for this topic, only to find other people asking to do the same thing. I tried selecting Enable Mixing + Output Speaker Configuration = 5.1... and also selected Dolby Pro Logic II encoding. However, none of that made any difference. I'm hoping I don't have to install ffdshow just to be able to get upmix audio to work, but it's starting to look that way.

lavfilter doesn't support up mxing. and to be honest that should be the work of the audio renderer.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 04:12   #19192  |  Link
mkanet

Actually, after thinking about, it does make sense to do this in a postprocessing audio filter.

I did try MatrixMixer's basic stereo expand to 5.1 upmix; however, ffdshow Audio Processor filter (with DolbyPrologicII + LFE crossover + Mixer3/0/2+LFE) gave me the stereo sound processing I was looking for; actually, sounds better than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
lavfilter doesn't support up mxing. and to be honest that should be the work of the audio renderer.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 08:46   #19193  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post

I was going to say that looks like AC3Filter, then I saw the link down the bottom!

http://www.ac3filter.net/wiki/Download_AC3Filter

It's open source now, and could probably do with some work and tweaking etc (and a new build). It still works perfectly fine on Windows 10 x64 though and has included 32-bit and 64-bit versions. You just need to add it to the external filter list of your media player (MPC-HC, MPDN or whatever).
Old 25th May 2015, 15:56   #19194  |  Link
JarrettH

Ok I can't find this and there's no tooltip for it. I forget what the difference between film and video output mode in YADIF is :S

25/30 means you're outputting 25 or 30 fps?
50/60 means you're outputting 50 or 60 fps?
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 15:59   #19195  |  Link
captainadamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
For PAL you'll get 25fps for NTSC you'll get 30fps because it's doing single-rate deinterlacing.

Quote:
Same as above but it's doing double-rate deinterlacing.

Last edited by captainadamo; 25th May 2015 at 16:40.
Old 26th May 2015, 02:11   #19196  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Ok I can't find this and there's no tooltip for it. I forget what the difference between film and video output mode in YADIF is :S

for interlaced material 50/60 is the right choice. 25/30 is a trade quality for speed option.

for film you usually want to use a detelecine filter not a deinterlancer.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 18:44   #19197  |  Link
cvrkuth

One question about the system tray icons. Use Lav filters with Subtitle Edit.

So, while the movie is playing icons show is system tray. When I stop the movie, icons are still there... and so on

cvrkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 18:46   #19198  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

That happens sometimes when the application is closing the filter too aggressively, and is an unavoidable side-effect. You can just disable the tray icons if you don't want them.
Old 30th May 2015, 01:02   #19199  |  Link
Schwartz

Watching a H.265 video in a M4V container, even though I have HEVC ticked and set LAV to DXVA2 copy-back, it only does software decoding.

Last edited by Schwartz; 31st May 2015 at 01:19.
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 01:15   #19200  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
Watching a H.265 video in a M4V container, even though I have HEVC ticked and set LAV to DXVA2 copy-back, it only does software decoding.
Your video card is not GTX 960, is it?
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter