Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 30th May 2015, 00:36   #1  |  Link
Reel.Deel

waifu2x for AviSynth 2.6

Just found out someone ported waifu2x to AviSynth: https://github.com/sunnyone/Waifu2xAvisynth

Just spreading the news just in case someone is not already aware.
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 00:55   #2  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Fascinating.

I saw the other thread and was hoping somoene might try to port it.
Thanks for the info.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 00:58   #3  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Laziness wins again! (I was going to attempt this.) There's a website, too: http://waifu2x-avisynth.sunnyone.org/

Translation of usage:
waifu2x(clip, int nr=0, int scale=2, string models=".", int jobs=0)

nr: 0, 1, or 2 for no/light/more noise reduction.
scale: A power of 2. 1 disables scaling (noise reduction only)
models: Location of models, defaults to plugin folder.
jobs: Threads, 0=# of cores in system.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 30th May 2015 at 01:03.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 01:19   #4  |  Link
Reel.Deel

It seems not all of the parameters are in order, here's the correct order: waifu2x(clip, nr, scale, jobs, models)

Also only YV12, YV16, and YV24 are supported. I wonder why not Y8? Y8 is useful for processing RGB as individual planes. Sure one can use YV12 but it can be less efficient. I might ask the author if he can add support for it.

One question for those of you who can read code, I see that unlike the original that only scales up to 2x, this implementation can scale 4x, 6x, 8x...etc. How is that done? Is it done in one shot or is waifu2x called multiple times?
Old 30th May 2015, 01:31   #5  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
It seems not all of the parameters are in order, here's the correct order: waifu2x(clip, nr, scale, jobs, models)

Also only YV12, YV16, and YV24 are supported. I wonder why not Y8? Y8 is useful for processing RGB as individual planes. Sure one can use YV12 but it can be less efficient. I might ask the author if he can add support for it.

One question for those of you who can read code, I see that unlike the original that only scales up to 2x, this implementation can scale 4x, 6x, 8x...etc. How is that done? Is it done in one shot or is waifu2x called multiple times?
Good catch. It just runs the 2x filter multiple times, so 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. It could support 16-bit as well, the meat of the processing is done in (very unoptimized) 32-bit float.
Old 30th May 2015, 02:08   #6  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Thanks for the info foxyshadis. I overlooked that scale has be a power of 2 not a multiple of 2.

I wonder how well it will perform with video? A good point was brought up in #avs-plus.
Quote:
a lot of "smart" upscalers end up with awful shimmering due to not quite doing the same thing on each frame
Hopefully that's not the case here, otherwise it'll only be usable on single images for the time being.

(not at home so I haven't had a chance to try it out)
Old 30th May 2015, 02:59   #7  |  Link
kuchikirukia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
I wonder how well it will perform with video? A good point was brought up in #avs-plus.

Hopefully that's not the case here, otherwise it'll only be usable on single images for the time being.
From what I've seen it oil paintings realistic scenes. So it's likely only for still anime.
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 12:59   #8  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
From what I've seen it oil paintings realistic scenes. So it's likely only for still anime.
It really only turns things into oil paintings when noise reduction is set to 2 (maybe even 1 for some sources) but that's not what I was referring to. waifu2x works well on single images but when you process video it might create shimmering artifacts due to interpolation differences between frames. Shimmering cannot be seen on a single frame but if you flip back between two frames sometimes you can seen lines and other details slightly jumping up and down (bobbing). Anyways I don't know if this is the case with waifu2x, I wanted to try and see but it's painfully slow (even slower than the online version) so I gave up.
Old 30th May 2015, 13:16   #9  |  Link
SEt

My waifu can't have so strong halos! I think she needs some more training... Also she is quite hungry now – stand alone version ate my 12 GB of RAM like nothing and crashed on moderately sized image.

Noise reduction is nice though – does good job on re-compressed images, but can't cure quantized to zero chroma.
SEt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 18:01   #10  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

This thing is absurdly slow. 50 seconds per frame for 480x270->960x540 on a Haswell! I wanted to redo an entire scene at 4x, but I didn't want to die of old age first.

4 second sample, shows no shimmering that I could see, so at least it's fairly stable.
Old 30th May 2015, 22:43   #11  |  Link
burfadel

Maybe someone could make a temporal version of NNEDI3. Interpolation based on forward and backward frame data, as well as top and bottom fields. Sure, it might not be as good as this, but it would have to be faster!
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 18:28   #12  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

While doing some testing on waifu2x there was strong evidence that its neural network may be significantly overtrained for the purposes of digital video. There can be a change uf up to 1 db in psnr simply by switching between different downscaling algorithms, and it gets conflicting psnr results compared to all other upscalers I have compared with, it always prefers neutral bicubic downscaling.

In one test it prefered neutral bicubic to sharp bicubic by ~0.6 db, while all other scalers prefered sharp cubic downscaling to neutral. This would strongly indicate that it was trained almost exclusively on content scaled using a catmull-rom kernel. Unsurprisingly, it does produce very nice results when fed with input it has been trained for.

I will probably do some more rigorous testing on more varied content, but its speed makes testing it aggravating.
*.mp4 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 10:11   #13  |  Link
colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
Maybe someone could make a temporal version of NNEDI3. Interpolation based on forward and backward frame data, as well as top and bottom fields. Sure, it might not be as good as this, but it would have to be faster!
Sometimes people forget that we already have a super-resolution filter for Avisynth and it's called QTGMC. Motion-compensated deinterlacing is really just a special case of super-resolution, after all.

Last edited by colours; 1st June 2015 at 10:14.
colours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:17   #14  |  Link
CkJ

*Original

*Nnedi3

*Waifu2x

Last edited by CkJ; 6th June 2015 at 05:39. Reason: change imagehost
CkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 23:00   #15  |  Link
mastrboy

@CkJ

How about using a little more safe for work image site the next time, did not expect female genitalia popping up in my face when clicking those links :P
Old 5th June 2015, 03:28   #16  |  Link
CkJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrboy View Post
@CkJ

How about using a little more safe for work image site the next time, did not expect female genitalia popping up in my face when clicking those links :P
sorry, I use adblock so don't see that popup
CkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 00:04   #17  |  Link
mandarinka

Take care what you link, even if it gets blocked by adblock (protip - not everybody has it active). There is a fullscreen extremely not safe for work ad, consider actually putting a warning in the post, because that thing could really get somebody in trouble if they browsed that at work.

BTW, imagebam is a bad host for images for another reason: it doesn't have a reasonable "show just this image 1:1" mode, it forces you to download when you want to see the original.

Try imgbox - it shouldn't have nasty ads if you specify you are uploading family-safe content. And there are probably other less annoying imagehosts.

Last edited by mandarinka; 6th June 2015 at 00:08.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 06:10   #18  |  Link
creaothceann

e.g. imgur, which lets you link directly to the picture.
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 18:56   #19  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaothceann View Post
e.g. imgur, which lets you link directly to the picture.
Imgur converts your image to jpg if you upload a PNG that is too big (over 1 MB), so it isn't really suitable here.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 19:09   #20  |  Link
colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
Imgur converts your image to jpg if you upload a PNG that is too big (over 1 MB), so it isn't really suitable here.
Unless you have an account, in which case the threshold for automatic JPEG conversion is a few megabytes higher.

Tags
waifu2x