Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 11th July 2003, 12:01   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

My PowerDVD's Error Code 89030000- Unknown File Format Fix

My PowerDVD's Error Code 89030000- Unknown File Format Fix
Courtesy of 2CL

Once in awhile, I'll get that dreaded "Error code 89030000, Unknown file format" from PowerDVD XP 4.0 when trying to view my transcoded movie after DVD95Copy processing. Now I've been told that DVD Copy Suite has the same problem too. Ideally, I like to use PowerDVD to watch all my movies on my computer. To the best of my knowledge, I think I have been intermittently experiencing this problem since DVD95Copy v1.4. Currently, I am using 1.6 beta. Anyway, I came about a fix for this but you're going to need the same amount of hardrive space available because you're going to decrypt again.

Surprisingly , I discovered that there ARE still encrypted blocks existing in my DVD95Copy backup files. Now, I initially used DVD Decrypter and confirmed before processing through DVD95Copy 1.6b that all blocks have been decrypted.

Now here's what we need to do. We need to pass the DVD95Copy files once more through another ripper but this time using Smartripper v2.41. Again we need the have same amount of harddrive space available so whichever harddrive you use, create another destination folder.
1. Open up Smartripper. By default, if you still have a DVD in your DVD drive, it will detect it and show its files. Don't worry. We're going to browse to your DVD95Copy movie source folder in next step.
2. Look to the top right and you'll see a button with a folder icon. Click on that and browse to your DVD95Copy movie source folder. Smartripper will close for a few seconds but will reopen again and showing your correct movie files.

X once
    Options

X Region Free (patch "Video_ts")
    X Unlock drive
    X DeMacrovision
    VOB files access

X auto

What you need to monitor, while Smartripper is doing its magic, is the "encrypted blocks" field in the "Code-Info" section. You can only view this during the rip, not after. This is why I mentioned to use Smartripper as this is an important field that DVD Decrypter doesn't have so it's a good asset. You suppose to have zero encrypted blocks present but sooner or later, you'll see some. I start seeing them while my main movie's titleset is ripping. Did you noticed that the "Current Key" field says "not encrypted" but you still have encryption existing?
Now when you go to use PowerDVD to view your newly decrypted movie, you shouldn't get the unknown format error again and your movie will play. My confusion is before DVD95Copy I had NO encrypted blocks but after DVD95Copy, I had some present. I even did the steps above prior to DVD95Copy and confirmed that I had no encrypted blocks. hmmmmm...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here are my replies to a couple of quotes from another thread. I decided to post this in another thread as I only use DVD95Copy and not DCS.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbass in this thread, DVD Copy Suite (DCS)
yep definitely it's dvd95copy. That's one of the reasons amongst others I quit using it. You wanna get rid of it? Uninstall PowerDVD and when installing it again don't put any updates in for PowerDVD. I've never had that error in any other program I've used.

Having said the above dvd95copy is used by quite a few who are quite happy with it and get excellent results.
I've done that before and still had the problem existing. I even also applied the patch/update prior to uninstalling and that still didn't fix it.

Quote:
Originally posted by DMagic1 in same thread, DVD Copy Suite (DCS)
Well it seems that error only comes up if you rip straight from the disk. It doesnt do that if you run from a dvd already decrypted to the HD.
DVD95Copy 1.6 beta can now rip and decrypt straight from the DVD but call me old school but I still prefer to rip my files separately using DVD Decryptor. So your quote of "error comes up only..." is not entirely true. I still get that unknown file format, Error code: 89030000 from PowerDVD after transcoding.

Last edited by 2COOL; 15th July 2003 at 09:28.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2003, 18:46   #2  |  Link
daxab

I see this error with DVDShrink 3.0b5 and also with Recode 0.9.6.6.

edit:
I ran all the files through SmartRipper, as you suggest. I didn't see any encoded blocks. Nonetheless, it made PowerDVD able to open the DVD - so it fixed something. However, there were still problems playing the main movie -- not sure why.
:edit

Last edited by daxab; 4th October 2003 at 18:56.
daxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2003, 23:01   #3  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by daxab
I see this error with DVDShrink 3.0b5 and also with Recode 0.9.6.6.

edit:
I ran all the files through SmartRipper, as you suggest. I didn't see any encoded blocks. Nonetheless, it made PowerDVD able to open the DVD - so it fixed something. However, there were still problems playing the main movie -- not sure why.
:edit
Do you have all your files present? That's why you have to rip in File mode for all files. If your Titleset or VIDEO_TS originally had a menu VOB(VTS_*_0.VOB or VIDEO_TS.VOB), DVD Shrink will error out since it reads the IFOs and it's trying to look for them. If you do and still errors out, you may have to rerip. Possible, corrupted files or bad editing. Load each IFO separately in DVD Shrink 3.0 b5 and you'll find out which one(s) are giving you problems.
Old 28th December 2003, 18:08   #4  |  Link
harley

No Help

I did all the above steps.Smartripper
did not show any encrypted blocks in the
Code-Info section. I then used DvdFab to
create my 2 DVD directories then used Imgtools
to create the Image. I burned the image to
another DVD.

I still received the same error in Powerdvd.

Ant other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Harley
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2003, 20:21   #5  |  Link
2COOL

Re: No Help

Quote:
Originally posted by harley
I did all the above steps.Smartripper
did not show any encrypted blocks in the
Code-Info section. I then used DvdFab to
create my 2 DVD directories then used Imgtools
to create the Image. I burned the image to
another DVD.

I still received the same error in Powerdvd.

Ant other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Harley
Before you created the image, did you try opening each IFO through DVD Shrink's analysis?
Old 29th December 2003, 15:58   #6  |  Link
harley

Dvd Shrink

No I didn't.What would I be looking
for when I analize the IFO's?

If there is a tutorial that tells me
what to look for and how to fix the
problem I will gladly read it..

Thanks For The Help
Harley
Old 29th December 2003, 19:47   #7  |  Link
2COOL

Re: Dvd Shrink

Quote:
Originally posted by harley
No I didn't.What would I be looking
for when I analize the IFO's?
Don't know yet but you're just back tracking to see when any errors may have existed. Just want to see if you have any error messages pop up with DVD Shrink.

By the way, I read your other thread and you mentioned that it plays fine in PowerDVD but not on your PS2. Have you tried to play your DVD on another standalone?
Old 29th December 2003, 21:45   #8  |  Link
harley

I must have posted something wrong. The DVD's that give
the error in Powerdvd also will "not" play in my PS/2
in fact they come up unreadable.The only DVD's I have had
problems with so far have been this one it is a soccer
movie called Bend it like beckham and Finding Nemo
they both come up with the same error and will not read
in my PS/2.

I am wondering if there is something new being done to
some of the more recent DVD's to try and stop backups?
Who knows you experts probably can do them I am following
the guides off of Dooom9 and don't have near the knowlege
you have when it comes to troublshooting these types of errors.

Thanks
Harley
Old 29th December 2003, 23:05   #9  |  Link
oddwunn

I've used SmartRipper 2.41 exclusively for all of my ripping, as well as PowerDVD 4.0 for testing purposes, and not even once have I seen this error. Maybe DVDDecrypter and DVD95Copy are not ripping properly?
oddwunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 22:59   #10  |  Link
pickupman23m

Error Code

I myself have had this error pop up on occassion when playing back a dvd ripped to my hd. When I receive this error is usually occurs when I am removing unwanted extras with empty cells/vobs, and haven't update the ifo's or Get VTS Sectors at the end of my project. If you have DVD Shrink installed, which you should because it FREE, you can figure out which set of files is causing the error. If you double click on each IFO, DVD Shrink will open the IFO and analyze it. The program will halt and say that it cannot continue because it had encountered an error. You will need to correct this. If you have replaced/stripped cells, then you need to use IfoEdit open the ifo. Click on VOB Extras, click Check All, click Strip It, click Check All to save all VOB ID's, click Strip It again. After IfoEdit copies your files to your hard drive, drag them back into your orginal folder. Then reopen any of the ifo's again in IfoEdit and click Get VTS Sectors. Now trying playing the movie again. It's not very often that I haved received this error, and I use DVDDecrypter and PowerDVD XP 4.0, but I have been able to correct it. I don't thinks it's software it's reauthoring. DVD's are complicated, so the smallest errors will cause the project to go bad.
I think I have also encountered this after trying to edit video_ts.vob and had to restore the original.
512MB RAM
64MB NVidia GeForce4 MX 440
80GB IDE WD 7200RPM
Sony DRU-510A v1.0f DVD-R/-RW CR-R
System Build: 12-21-2002

Software used:
DVD Decrypter 3.1.9 - Ripping/Burning
DVD2One - transcoding
DVDShrink 3b5 - transcoding
MenuEdit 2.3 (Reg) - Edit Menu/Vobs
ImgTool Classic - Disk image creator
pickupman23m is offline   Reply With Quote