Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th February 2019, 17:03   #23221  |  Link
juffi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
It used to be possible, but it was disabled intentionally because there is a bug in the Intel mvc decoder that gives problems.
End of story? How about a checkbox for enabling that for brave testers?
juffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 17:20   #23222  |  Link
fluffy01

I think that I was the reason that it was disabled again.

It caused LAVFilters to freeze up so hard that I had to kill it via process manager.

But maybe it could be added as an option somewhere, if it doesn't clutter up the settings too badly?
fluffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 17:47   #23223  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

An option that is known to practically cause the entire hardware to hang is not something that'll ever be exposed to users.
Unless some effort is invested to figure out what makes some videos cause this problem, and find out if its possible to fix it, it really doesn't make sense to open it up to issues again.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th February 2019 at 18:00.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 00:15   #23224  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrenata View Post
I was getting dropouts on an Atmos track watching Incredibles 2 4k Bluray (also Incredibles 1 as well) with LAV filters version .72 as well as latest.
My receiver is an Anthem MRX-1120.

I downgraded to .71 LAV filters and the issue seemed to go away.
Try with the next nightly version (coming in around ~3h from this post to https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/), it has some changes that may help. Feedback would be good.
Old 6th February 2019, 04:58   #23225  |  Link
SamuriHL

Wanted to report here, as well. Watching Incredibles 2 MKV and not a single issue with this new build. Very happy!
Old 7th February 2019, 01:33   #23226  |  Link
ryrynz

Saw the recent update of ffmpeg within LAV, have there been any significant updates to it since last year?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 19:34   #23227  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juffi View Post
End of story? How about a checkbox for enabling that for brave testers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy01 View Post
I think that I was the reason that it was disabled again.

It caused LAVFilters to freeze up so hard that I had to kill it via process manager.

But maybe it could be added as an option somewhere, if it doesn't clutter up the settings too badly?

I have re-visited the problem and done some additional filtering of the bitstream to hopefully avoid the problem. However, I was also unable to reproduce it anymore, even with old LAV and old drivers, so maybe something in a Windows 10 update fixed it.

Anyhow, its now possible to enable H.264 MVC HW decoding in LAV Video, if you have a Intel GPU. Its default off.

Testing would be appreciated. Even more so if you previously had the hang problem. It'll be available in a couple hours in the next nightly build at https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/
Old 7th February 2019, 23:12   #23228  |  Link
jmone

Cross post (JRiver Thead0 but FYI - Tested the following historic probs with had/soft drops and they all played fine with the latest LAV Nightly (all folder rips).
- "Incredibles 2" - Soft Drop : eg drops at 3:16 at the seamless branching point where it goes to the Incredibles 2 spinning logo
- “Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Men Tell No Tales” - Hard Drop : eg drops out a couple of times between 17:45 and 19:00 minutes into the movie
- “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol II” - Hard Drop : eg drops out at 1:09:24 where TaserFace gets killed is one example.
- “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” - Hard Drop : eg Right at the beginning of the Main Title when the 20th Century clip is running

Thanks Hendrik - looks good to me.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 23:13   #23229  |  Link
jmone

... what tool are people using to "unpack" the LAV EXE instead of installing it? I "think" I used to just use 7-Zip but the main files are all in a "[0]" file in the EXE.
Thanks
Nathan
Old 7th February 2019, 23:23   #23230  |  Link
sneaker_ger

innounp. But beware: simply replacing the dlls isn't always sufficient. It's recommended to always run the installer.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 23:28   #23231  |  Link
SamuriHL

For JRiver, I just copy them from my laptop into the plugins/lav folder. However, you really should register the ax files from there which is what I do. Mainly because I have custom settings for LAV Video in JRiver so I can use D3D11 decoding.
Old 7th February 2019, 23:57   #23232  |  Link
jmone

FYI - I just need to replace the files in the JRiver Plugins folder for testing. Thanks for the tip on innounp - just what I need.
Old 8th February 2019, 08:58   #23233  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
innounp. But beware: simply replacing the dlls isn't always sufficient. It's recommended to always run the installer.
OR you can run regsvr32 on the .ax files again, so that the registry is duly updated.
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 13:22   #23234  |  Link
eugeny

LAVVideo.ax bug in two latest nightly builds

Two latest nightly builds 0.73.1-14 and 0.73.1-11 are buggy! LAVVideo.ax is not loadable under Windows 2008 Server x86 Service Pack 2.
Build 0.73.1-6 is working normally.

Last edited by eugeny; 8th February 2019 at 13:25. Reason: Add "x86" in OS description
eugeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 13:46   #23235  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
For JRiver, I just copy them from my laptop into the plugins/lav folder. However, you really should register the ax files from there which is what I do. Mainly because I have custom settings for LAV Video in JRiver so I can use D3D11 decoding.
I might be lucky, or maybe it's because LAV was installed before I installed jRiver, but it looks like it's the standalove LAV that is being used by jRiver. I update it regularly and when I play a file and look at the LAV running (taskbar icon), it's the latest, with my custom settings. So I'm not touching it.

As you know I had to unregister MadVR and move it to the plugins, and register it there, but it didn't seem to be necessary for LAV, which makes updating it easier (I simply install the new version). The added benefit is that it installs both teh 64bits and the 32bits version, the latter being needed for MadMeasureHDR.

Maybe Nevcairiel will correct me if there is a better way to keep LAV updated when using jRiver, but for now it's working well for me.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 13:58   #23236  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeny View Post
Two latest nightly builds 0.73.1-14 and 0.73.1-11 are buggy! LAVVideo.ax is not loadable under Windows 2008 Server x86 Service Pack 2.
Build 0.73.1-6 is working normally.
I think it is because of update to latest Intel MSDK decoder. It's use function SetThreadErrorMode, it's minimum support Windows 7/2008 R2.
Old 8th February 2019, 17:15   #23237  |  Link
dbezerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbezerra View Post
Nev, I have noticed issues with Atmos drop outs on the Incredibles 2 disk and others are reporting the same on different threads such as

https://club.myce.com/t/atmos-audio-...0/106?u=careca
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ind...html#msg818879

One of the users posted a log file in the JRiver thread. Is this something you are aware of? Do you need a sample MKV?

Thanks
Just to bring closure to this topic: The latest LAV nightly build fixed all Atmos issues! Thanks for the support Nev!
dbezerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 17:55   #23238  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I might be lucky, or maybe it's because LAV was installed before I installed jRiver, but it looks like it's the standalove LAV that is being used by jRiver. I update it regularly and when I play a file and look at the LAV running (taskbar icon), it's the latest, with my custom settings. So I'm not touching it.

As you know I had to unregister MadVR and move it to the plugins, and register it there, but it didn't seem to be necessary for LAV, which makes updating it easier (I simply install the new version). The added benefit is that it installs both teh 64bits and the 32bits version, the latter being needed for MadMeasureHDR.

Maybe Nevcairiel will correct me if there is a better way to keep LAV updated when using jRiver, but for now it's working well for me.
If you register them outside of the JRiver plugins directory and add them as custom filters, then yes, it's using your external LAV installation. I'd not necessarily recommend that as it has caused problems in the past. I update the plugin version and re-register them with regsvr32. This method has never given me an issue.
Old 8th February 2019, 18:13   #23239  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
If you register them outside of the JRiver plugins directory and add them as custom filters, then yes, it's using your external LAV installation. I'd not necessarily recommend that as it has caused problems in the past. I update the plugin version and re-register them with regsvr32. This method has never given me an issue.
Yes, that's what I did, I install the standalone LAV and then add them in jRiver as custom filters, same as MadVR.

If I was to do it your way, I should:

Copy the LAV x64 most recent LAV files into the plugin directory
Uninstall LAV standalone
Register the plugin version using regsvr32

Then when a new version of LAV arrives, unpack it and copy the x64 files to the plugin?

Then what I do I do to have the x86 version registered for MadMeasureHDR?

The only issue I have a the moment is lots of UHD BD Menus won't play properly (direct movie playback works fine). If this is unlikely to fix it, I'm tempted to stay as it is...
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 8th February 2019 at 18:22.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 18:29   #23240  |  Link
SamuriHL

I doubt that'll fix the UHD menu issue. If you have examples of titles not playing menus correctly, you should visit the bd menu thread on JRiver forum and post about them there so they can be looked at.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter