Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th November 2012, 16:03   #12941  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony349 View Post
It's probably more efficient if MadVR just upscales everything at once, wouldn't you say?
Absolutely not. I say that the best way is when upscale is not needed at all. (oops too late)
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 16:11   #12942  |  Link
Moony349

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
xy-vsfilter is not supposed to upscale, unless you custom-configure it that way. There's also no reason for nevcairiel to integrate xy-vsfilter into LAV because an xy-vsfilter version with support for the new subtitle interface is already in the works (by the xy-vsfilter developer, not by nevcairiel). nev once hinted he might (or not) do a libAss subtitle renderer. But since then xy-vsfilter has gotten quite a bit faster, so it's a question worth asking if a libAss DirectShow subtitle renderer would be worth the effort now.
Thanks Madshi!

I was under the impression that xy-vs had stopped being developed, hence my asking Nev about a different filter.

Good to hear that an integrated xy-vs is already in the works (excited).

Also, Keiyakusha, thanks for correcting me. As I said, I'm no expert. I'm just curious.

Last edited by Moony349; 16th November 2012 at 16:14.
Moony349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 17:51   #12943  |  Link
Skibicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Actually not enough information maybe a too weak description. Your "xy-vs is slow." which is in fact fastest sub renderer out there
Quote:
The more complex and numerous the holes, gaps, or notches in a font outline, the slower it will render.
According to this thread, it depends on the font. http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/index.php?topic=5976.msg42091#msg42091
Old 16th November 2012, 18:24   #12944  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibicki View Post
According to this thread, it depends on the font. http://www.cccp-project.net/forums/index.php?topic=5976.msg42091#msg42091
Sure it is possible to make xy show worse results. Which is not even problem in xy itself but in windows' gdi. Still in most cases it is faster.
Old 16th November 2012, 20:09   #12945  |  Link
the_weirdo
Yes, I'm weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony349 View Post
When i say slow, I mean, xy-vs upscaling increases rendering time significantly, because xy-vs is upscaling AND madVR is upscaling at the same time. It's probably more efficient if MadVR just upscales everything at once, wouldn't you say?
IIRC, by default, current xy-vsfilter renders subtitles directly onto video images before send them to video renderers. So as madshi pointed out, current xy-vsfilter does not upscale subtitles as you think.
Old 16th November 2012, 20:50   #12946  |  Link
Asmodian

It would be very nice to be able to render the subtitles on the resized-for-display-by-MadVR video instead of needing to resize them along with the rest of the video. Or just render them at the display resolution instead of the video resolution, pass them to MadVR and let it do the overlay.

The key, in my opinion, is rendering the text at the display resolution so the subs never get resized at all. Allowing the user to pick the resize algorithm for picture based subtitles (DVD, bluray) would be nice too.

Of course, I am not sure how the new subtitle interface works so I will wait and see.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 21:34   #12947  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Of course, I am not sure how the new subtitle interface works so I will wait and see.
This is exactly what new interface is for. At least this was the reason I made this feature request year ago or so. By now amount of use-cases for this interface somehow extended.

Edit: wait. it just occurred to me that this is LAV thread, why we discuss xy-vsfilter here? Lets move somewhere else, I'm sure there was dedicated thread for it.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 16th November 2012 at 21:40.
Old 16th November 2012, 22:18   #12948  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibicki
Don't let it fool you. When I said worse case in that thread, I really did mean worse case. In nearly all other cases, even with complex font outlines, xy-VSFilter is faster then Libass.

Code:
____
Win7 x64 | 4.4Ghz 3570K
LAV Video + Haali Splitter + DirectShowSource + AVS Meter v1.43
MPlayer2 -benchmark -vo null -nosound
____

[Chihiro] Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun ED1
Libass + Mplayer2 = 48fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 78fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = less than 1fps

[Staircase] Hatsuyuki Sakura OP
Libass + Mplayer2 = 123fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 198fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = less than 1fps

[GotWoot] Moyashimon Returns OP1
Libass + Mplayer2 = 353fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 505fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 15fps

[CoalGirls] Card Captor Sakura OP2
Libass + Mplayer2 = 220fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 257fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 17fps

[UTWoots] Sword Art Online ED1
Libass + Mplayer2 = 208fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 334fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 42fps

[SFW-Chihiro] Dance in the Vampire Bund (Heavy Typesetting)
Libass + Mplayer2 = 254fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 428fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 91fps

[Commie] Steins Gate "CPU Benchmark" OP1 (Complex Font Outline)
Libass + Mplayer2 = 442fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 455fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 91fps

[UTWoots] Sword Art Online OP2
Libass + Mplayer2 = 170fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 315fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 111fps

Bakemonogatari (Heavy Typesetting)
Libass + Mplayer2 = 144fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 350fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 147fps

[rori] Kokoro Connect OP1 (Complex Font Outline)
Libass + Mplayer2 = 360fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 415fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 250fps

[UTWoots] Sword Art Online OP1
Libass + Mplayer2 = 235fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 446fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 = 279fps

[UTW] FATE ZERO OP1
Libass + Mplayer2 = 361fps
xy-VSFilter + LAV Video = 552fps
VSFilter 2.41.6205 + LAV Video = 364fps
Though I still think it would be extremely useful for nevcairiel to create a Libass directshow filter. Text rendering quality has superior anti-aliasing, and there are a couple other things like transforming font spacing which VSFilter currently can't do well. With a bit of optimization and caching like we're doing in xy-VSFilter, I'm sure performance could be improved as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha
I'm sure there was dedicated thread for it.
Not yet. I was only planning on creating a dedicated thread once there was a new subtitle interface build for testing. But yes, please don't hi-jack the LAV Filters thread.
If you need someplace to discuss xy-VSFilter in the meantime, there is the CCCP thread where the project was first introduced.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 16th November 2012 at 22:31.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 22:48   #12949  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Not yet. I was only planning on creating a dedicated thread once there was a new subtitle interface build for testing. But yes, please don't hi-jack the LAV Filters thread.
If you need someplace to discuss xy-VSFilter in the meantime, there is the CCCP thread where the project was first introduced.
Oh, I though there was a thread somewhere here just it is unpopular. I even have vague memory of devs posting in it... I guess I confused it with something else (>_<)
Old 17th November 2012, 00:05   #12950  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
MPC-BE - can disable internal Subtitle/Audio track select logic:

Disable this checkbox.
oh , thats cool , thanks very good
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 12:11   #12951  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It would be very nice to be able to render the subtitles on the resized-for-display-by-MadVR video instead of needing to resize them along with the rest of the video. Or just render them at the display resolution instead of the video resolution, pass them to MadVR and let it do the overlay.

The key, in my opinion, is rendering the text at the display resolution so the subs never get resized at all. Allowing the user to pick the resize algorithm for picture based subtitles (DVD, bluray) would be nice too.

The problem with all those solutions is that you depend on madVR. And sometimes that's not possible, or it isn't desired. In most cases, to get good quality subs without depending on exotic stuff video has to be upscaled to screen resolution, then subs rendered to that upscaled video, then delivered to the renderer.

BTW good work on LAV, nev. DVD, mixer, nice additions
Waiting for full blown mixer and quality text subs
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 08:39   #12952  |  Link
Xaurus

nev (or anyone else),

Is banding like this normal with 4:2:0 material?
http://www.imagebam.com/image/8e34df221017965

I notice it sometimes on my TV so I decided to check the same material with my computer monitor as well, and it was the same thing.

Or is my setup wrongly configured?
Old 18th November 2012, 09:15   #12953  |  Link
AndreaMG

@Nev, I have some questions about deinterlacing (I set Lav Video to hardware deinterlace via LAVCUVID):

1) playing dvds wrongly flagged I guess could trigger the deinterlacing even when not needed?

2) Is there a way to know while watching a dvd if Lav is deinterlacing or not?

3) Is there a way (or colud possibly be implemented) to turn deinterlacing on and off of the fly via shortcuts keys like MadVR in the cases I'm 100% sure what I'm playing is progressive without having to go to Lav panel and tick "progressive"?

4) If in a dvd there is mixed material (interlaced and progressive) the interlacer will adapt to the new content or is it dumb?

5) I find Lav deinterlacer less heavy than MadVR one, do you have any idea why? Aren't they both hardware?

Thanks

Last edited by AndreaMG; 18th November 2012 at 09:22.
AndreaMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 11:03   #12954  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
That's normal, to improve that you'll need a deband filter activated via FFDshow/Avisynth etc.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 11:07   #12955  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
That's normal, to improve that you'll need a deband filter activated via FFDshow/Avisynth etc.
What is a good deband filter? I don't really want to use ffdshow though, but maybe Avisynth could be an option.
Old 18th November 2012, 12:17   #12956  |  Link
ryrynz

For real time playback on 8-bit banded content via Avisynth I recommend using Flash3kyuu.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 13:37   #12957  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
nev (or anyone else),

I notice it sometimes on my TV so I decided to check the same material with my computer monitor as well, and it was the same thing.

Or is my setup wrongly configured?
Ha, I see banding much worse than that on my TV. No amount of setting changes helps, and it even happens on my PC with MadVR in some videos, so I'd say at least part of the problem is the source material.
Old 18th November 2012, 14:23   #12958  |  Link
DragonQ

I've recently started playing with LAV Filters for DVD/BD playback in MediaPortal (EVR + DVD Navigator), now that DVD-Video is supported. I've managed to get it working but it has two flaws:

1) For some discs, the very first thing that appears is a language selection screen. However, in MediaPortal I just get a black screen or the MediaPortal main menu continues to show. If I press "enter" on my remote, the language selection screen briefly flashes, then the pre-menu titles play as normal. If I instead move the mouse, then the language selection screen appears.

2) For at least one disc I've tried, if I start playing the main feature from the DVD menu, the total length is detected as 0:00, meaning I can't seek. If I press "next chapter", then the total length gets updated and appears properly, enabling seeking.

I don't know if these are MediaPortal problems or LAV problems but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I'm using DXVA2 Native.
Old 18th November 2012, 14:24   #12959  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Note that DXVA2 Native is a bad choice for DVDs, it doesn't properly work with menus. There is now an option to disable HW accel for DVDs, i would suggest to simply turn DXVA off for DVDs, the SD MPEG-2 material can be decoded by a 10 year old PC without breaking a sweat.
The duration and stuff like that is not handled by the decoders, so it has nothing to do with LAV.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 18th November 2012 at 14:27.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 14:32   #12960  |  Link
DragonQ

Hmm that's strange because menus and subtitles work fine for me, it's just that initial screen on some discs. I've also tried disabling "DVD" under "Hardware Acceleration" but the problem remains.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter