Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11th September 2002, 21:26   #1  |  Link
F0sgateman

Media or Player?

I have ripping and burning down to a science now, so I'm pretty confident I'm not doing anything wrong on my end, but almost all my DVD's over 1.5 Hours start skipping randomly at the end. I've read that Toshiba's aren't as compatible, but I've also read about the cheap media. I am suspecting cheap media and already have some Reitek media on the way. My question to anyone who knows is, is my Toshiba DVD player going to work with the new media all the way to the end of the DVD's I burn? When they say Toshiba's aren't as compatible, does that mean if it plays it at all, it should work, or does it mean anything I throw at it is going to skip at the ends? I just want this cleared up so I know if I should keep buying more expensive media or get a new set top player. If you are familiar with Toshiba's, it's the SD-3750 I believe. For those that will ask if I've tried it in other players, yes, my friend has an RCA and one of his skipped so bad at the end he ended up finishing it off on his laptop. BTW, the recorder being used is the DVR-104 and I was using Optodiscs, I've stopped until I figure the problem, burning $1 coasters isn't much fun. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'd also like to add I use Nero to burn the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, and that I've tried Prassi to do the same thing and both come out with the same results.

Last edited by F0sgateman; 11th September 2002 at 21:49.
Old 12th September 2002, 00:06   #2  |  Link
alexnoe
Banned

The last question in the FAQ might be interesting for you...my optidiscs were also crap, but optodisc can be made by several manufacturers, and advdinfo doesn't work here

Last edited by alexnoe; 12th September 2002 at 00:08.
Old 12th September 2002, 16:40   #3  |  Link
Ber60

I've used Optodisc and tried out several other brands.
I didn't have any problems yet with Optidisc's and I know they are from different manufacturers, but they all seem to have the same quality.
So my humble opinion is maybe it is time to renew your DVD player as I
have done, to play as many different media as possible that came recently on the market.
Old 12th September 2002, 19:24   #4  |  Link
atreides93

I don't believe its the media. I had something like this happen with Apple media and cheap media too when playing them back in my Sony DVD 530D player.

I found that my Sony player was built in 1999 and DVD-R wasn't all that popular back then. Remember they started out with 3.95 gig DVD-R's at first, so I thought it was intersting how if I burned past 4 gigs on my dvd-r's, the end of the movie was always messed up on my Sony. but if I stayed below 4 gigs, it was fine.

Then I got an Oritron DVD 600, which is a cheap dvd player. its a lot newer though and guess what, it plays all those DVD-R's ,even the ones past 4 gigs without any problems. it even plays the cheap media ones.

Find out what year your dvd player was built.
Old 13th September 2002, 05:29   #5  |  Link
Sephan

Im using three different types right now.. I guess i need to get that program that tells you what it is..

1-Optidisk cheap stuff from newegg.com, 2-generic purple from hypermicrosystems and 3-Standard grade silver spindle from Americal. All burnt with nero newest version, pioneer A04. Im not doing anything fancy ripping all files IFOEDIT stripping and burning, nothing but movies.. if its to big ill split to two discs first before stripping.

All of them work fine. Now I do notice that my sony DVD downstairs 3 years old is a bit particular on the CD's 50-50 chance it will skip or freeze in the movie, my new DVD player upstairs SonyNS700P which is a type that isnt being made anymore but is still buyable on the net, is a gem on everything I toss at it. Im a newbie maybe 2 monhts at this.. 20 backups of DVD's maybe 4 coasters tops. Now like I said im not doing anything fancy just the movie.. no intros, specials etc etc.

Im really starting to have my doubts on media issues.. Im going to keep going with branded 1X cheap stuff as it stands.
Old 13th September 2002, 08:41   #6  |  Link
Commander XJL

Skipping at the end of the disk is a cheap media problem, it's one of the most common complaints that people have about cheap media. It may be true that a certain player will play these disks better, but its a crap media problem first. When are people gonna learn to stay away from this cheap media shit, its beginning to get ridiculous. Theres posts on this forum literally on a daily basis about someone having problems with generic media (won't play at the end of the disk, freezing, pixalation, sound problems), thats been going on since DVD burning started, so like I say, it really is getting ridiculous. It's long past the point where Doom needs to set up a seperate category for people to go and complain about problems they have cause they think 1 dollar disks are gonna work like 5 dollar disks.

Last edited by Commander XJL; 13th September 2002 at 09:51.
Old 13th September 2002, 13:24   #7  |  Link
padre

F0sgateman

It does sound like you've got defective media. I've seen similar issues with CDrecordable.com media, just before they went out of business.

I'd stay away from the completely unnamed generic media, like the "DVDPro" or "High Quality DVD-R" with no brand, and use something like PrimeDisc for media ( oh yeah, best part - it's less than $5 per disc - MUCH less). I've had lots of people from Doom9's forum, as well as the internet newsgroups tell me they've been having great success with PrimeDisc. And, for the record, I've played ALL my movies to the very end and they work perfectly. So has a guy on the newsgroups, Larry H. He's burned over 100 PrimeDisc since I recommended them. No skips, no runs, no errors....

Lastly, there are some cases of models of DVD players accepting and starting to play DVD-R's, then jumping, freezing and pixelating - and the cause is actually the DVD player. Sometime laser issues, firmware, etc. So, unfortunetly you've come to the major issue of consumer burning - media selection and player selection. Have you checked out VCDHelp.com for DVD-R compatibility of your Toshiba? They have some good postings from users sharing their experiences.

Good luck and don't give up!

Padre
Old 13th September 2002, 17:05   #8  |  Link
Commander XJL

He said in his post he tried the disks on other players, I bet my ass if he burns the same job on a name brand disk his problem will go away for some strange reason. Try it, F0sgateman. Buy one name brand rewritable and use it to verify whats going on. And the Toshiba 3750 is compatible, just like 99.5 % of all DVD players are for DVD-R, I just checked, even though I knew it wasn't necessary. I'm actually gonna order a few (very few) Primedisks myself and try them, god help me. But I have 2 burners and 3 standalones to check them with so we'll see how good they are

Last edited by Commander XJL; 13th September 2002 at 17:18.
Old 13th September 2002, 17:21   #9  |  Link
padre

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander XJL
I'm actually gonna order a few (very few) Primedisks myself and try them, god help me.
What happened to "I'll never buy cheap media again????"

God help you? God help us if you stub your toe burning one of them. Then you'll blame the disc for that too.

By the way...PrimeDisc is a name brand disk.
Old 13th September 2002, 17:30   #10  |  Link
Commander XJL

Well, someone talked me into to trying one last time (his name starts with a P), and said Primedisk were great, so I guess I should say god help him if their a pixaly mess when they play. Hey, what do these didks look like on top, and are you SURE they play all the way through with NO and I mean NO pixalation, skippy, ect all the way through? Cause if I get burned for the third time I'm gonna make everyones life a living hell, worse than I already have I mean
Old 13th September 2002, 17:54   #11  |  Link
padre

Commander, do us all a favor. DON'T buy any PrimeDisc or ANY media less than $5 or $10 a piece. So we don't have to hear it from you about the 'crappy cheap media'....not that we haven't already heard enough. If you had a power outage during a burn, you'd blame cheap media! But I stand by my PrimeDisc recommendation, and there are many others out there who would as well.

If you read my other posts you'd see there are two flavors of PrimeDisc. The 'Retail' version has the PrimeDisc logo etched on the top, and the dye is a lighter purple. I haven't used them much, since I buy the other type mostly - the Bulk pack in 50 or 100 disc spindles. They have a silver top (no logo) and dark purple dye. They show up as RITEK..G3 under ADVDinfo. They also have a inner ring serial number that looks like C1-xxxxxxx or so. The innner ring is semi-clear (a little foggy). But both versions burn well and I have not had any problems playing the media to the very end on about 6-7 different DVD players.

BTW: How do we all know it's not you crappy DVD player or crappy encoding or crappy burning process that made you have problems with some 'cheap' media. We don't!

Good luck (like I tell everyone else), and don't call us, we'll call you....(just you)
Old 13th September 2002, 17:57   #12  |  Link
alexnoe
Banned

Commander, do us all a favor. DON'T buy any PrimeDisc or ANY media less than $5 or $10 a piece

Either you speak of australian dollars, or your income is above average.
You get even Verbatim at 4,30¤, and there's no reason for paying more in media which is not better...
Old 13th September 2002, 18:11   #13  |  Link
Commander XJL

Funny how padre now doesn't want me to try these disks, I guess that says a lot. padre your the biggest idiot on this forum, I've been doing this a lot longer than you.

BTW: How do we all know it's not you crappy DVD player or crappy encoding or crappy burning process that made you have problems with some 'cheap' media. We don't!

You also CAN'T read, I've made it real clear, I have 2 burners, 3 standalones, most of these movies were never encoded (encoding couldn't cause these problems anyway, maybe when you get more experiened you'll know this, but I doubt it), I burned the same projects on name brand media to test, god you need to get off this forum for everyones sake. You must be a teenager. I've done 200 movies now, all perfect, oh except for the ones I did on generic media.

Last edited by Commander XJL; 13th September 2002 at 18:14.
Old 13th September 2002, 18:19   #14  |  Link
padre

It's amazing how Commander starts talking like he owns this forum. Thank goodness it's an open forum.

I've made over 400 DVD's, all on PrimeDisc and some others. None of which have been made on discs costing more than $2. I've not had 1 with a problem playing all the way through.

For the record, I'm probably one of the oldest people on this forum and have been working with PC's and computers while you were still sucking your thumb. But I won't be taken down to your namecalling level.

I'll be here providing a voice of reason to those users who choose to use 'inexpensive' media. If YOU don't like hearing that many people have been successfully using cheaper media, why should I leave?

And, by the way, I didn't say for ANYONE not to try PrimeDisc....Just you...

I've told tons of others, and will continue. They work for me and others, and that's it.
Old 13th September 2002, 18:21   #15  |  Link
alexnoe
Banned

Funny how padre now doesn't want me to try these disks, I guess that says a lot. padre your the biggest idiot on this forum, I've been doing this a lot longer than you.

Read the usenet laws (only available in german ). Telling someone "I do that longer than you are on earth" means nothing more than "i am out of arguments, i can't add anything senseful to the topic of discussion, but i want to have the last word".

I don't know what about doom9, but on cdfreaks, "you're the biggest idiot..." would result in mod-editing your post and sending you a warning...

You've fulfilled Hellinger's Law, which should usually mean End-of-discussion.

Last edited by alexnoe; 13th September 2002 at 18:25.
Old 13th September 2002, 18:55   #16  |  Link
padre

(Thanks alexnoe - I enjoyed that)

F0sgateman,

Sorry we seemed to have taken this thread off into an area away from your original topic. I think there is some good information listed (outside of the rants) that might help you.

From the sounds of the errors (skipping), it appears to be a media-related issue. I would suggest trying another brand of media, such as PrimeDisc, TDK, Pioneer, etc. Something new. Also trying a DVD-RW might gain you some insight as well.

Just an FYI, some DVD players will play only specific DVD-R's. For example, I have a Panasonic Portable DVD player (little LCD screen). It only likes Verbatum or PrimeDisc. Won't play TDK, Pioneer or some of the other more expensive medias, and absolutely hate the nonames (DVDPro, Mertiline, etc.).

Seeing how you tried burning with both Prassi and Nero, I'd say the burning software is probably not your issue.

Once you find which media plays the best for you, if you're like me, you'll stick with it. But getting there sometimes takes a bit of research and trials.

Good luck and let us know what the problem turned out to be!

Last edited by padre; 13th September 2002 at 18:59.
Old 13th September 2002, 19:44   #17  |  Link
Commander XJL

No, its gonna be end of discussion because either one of you are worth responding to anymore, I'm just gonna sit back and laugh now. I can't wait to see what happens when F0sgateman tries a project on a name brand disk. Then he'll know who's trying to help him and who is trying to cost him more time and aggrevation and money on wasted disks. Oh, and I've worked as a computer technician (a real paid one) since 1989 for both Macs and PC's.

From the sounds of the errors (skipping), it appears to be a media-related issue. I would suggest trying another brand of media, such as PrimeDisc, TDK, Pioneer, etc. Something new. Also trying a DVD-RW might gain you some insight as well

Now Padre is giving him the same advice I did earlier, ya he's not an idiot

Last edited by Commander XJL; 13th September 2002 at 19:51.
Old 13th September 2002, 20:29   #18  |  Link
Ber60

Dear F0sgateman

To elaborate on my previous post (hopefully wihtout any verbal abuse from the other members)
I used to have a Samsung 811 when I burned my first dvd-r (a Pioneer 4.7gig) it worked fine until halfway the movie than it started skipping and pixelating so I tried other media, with no luck, same results. So I took my different brand dvd-r's to the videoshop and tried it on a Pioneer 444 with the latest firmware and they played all fine. Subsequentely I sold the Samsung and bought the Pioneer.
Never had any problems with cheap media anymore. Now taking into account the price of high grade media it is perhaps not such a bad idea to invest in a more recent player.
Old 13th September 2002, 20:47   #19  |  Link
padre

Ber60,

That's a great example of DVD players not liking some media brands, cheap or otherwise.

I actually sold my JVC high-end DVD player just because of that reason. It wouldn't play most brand DVD-R's correctly. Now, in JVC's defense, they didn't promise to play ANY DVD-R media. But I'm much happier with the Apex 3201 replacement (and the Samsung and Sony).

(p.s. I've been doing work with PC's and computers since 79, started with an S-100 Cromemco w/4k of memory and 8" floppy! Been working in the industry as an Engineer and Senior Consultant ever since. Just in case others were interested
Old 13th September 2002, 21:02   #20  |  Link
padre

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander XJL
No, its gonna be end of discussion because either one of you are worth responding to anymore, I'm just gonna sit back and laugh now.
Didn't feel like stopping there? So you edited to not finish more?

Quote:

From the sounds of the errors (skipping), it appears to be a media-related issue. I would suggest trying another brand of media, such as PrimeDisc, TDK, Pioneer, etc. Something new. Also trying a DVD-RW might gain you some insight as well

Now Padre is giving him the same advice I did earlier, ya he's not an idiot
No, there's a huge difference. I said try another BRAND. I didn't say:

Quote:
When are people gonna learn to stay away from this cheap media shit
Like you did earlier in this thread. Please at least be accurate when attempting to flame.
Closed Thread