Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 26th September 2008, 06:37   #1  |  Link
Textbook

Help with MSU Deinterlacer

I am new to AVISynth and I am trying to test out a deinterlacer I found, named MSU Deinterlacer. Previously I have used Smart Deinterlacer with VirtualDub and AVIDemux, but MSU looks like it would work better. My main use for this is TV Tuner captures from an analog cable source. Mainly ice hockey games that I wish to archive.

My TV Tuner is a Hauppauge PVR-150. This card has a hardware Mpeg-2 Encoder, so everything is already encoded into Mpeg-2 (PS) right from the get-go. 720x480 resolution, 30fps, up to 10mbps CBR.

I have uploaded a 30-second sample clip here: http://www.360mods.net/hockey/test.zip

As you can see, interlacing has a huge effect on this type of footage, because of the fast motion and high contrast (dark sticks / players on white ice). Here is frame 500 of the above video:

I am trying to use AVISynth, MSU Deinterlacer filter, and Virtualdub to deinterlace the above video, and this is my sample script:

DirectShowSource("C:\Documents and Settings\Textbook\Desktop\test.mpg")
ConvertToYUY2()
LoadPlugin("C:\Documents and Settings\Textbook\Desktop\msu_fieldshiftfixer.dll")
AssumeFieldBased()
MSU_FieldShiftFixer(1,0,0)
ConvertToRGB24()

When I try this, the video just comes out the same, still interlaced.
Textbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 06:49   #2  |  Link
vampiredom

FieldShifter is not a deinterlacer. MSU's deinterlacer is not public, I believe. There are many other options for you. See this page for a start:
http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Extern...#Deinterlacing

Last edited by vampiredom; 26th September 2008 at 08:20.
vampiredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 08:07   #3  |  Link
Alex_ander

FieldShiftFixer is for restoration of progressive video, where some parts got interlacing by field shifting between even/odd frames. You have interlaced video from TV and even with a right tool for deinterlacing (like TDeint, LeakKernelDeint, Yadif) you can only improve it for PC playback (using double output framerate). Deinterlacing a fast motion video (like sports) at original framerate kills half of motion phases thus making it look worse on TV.
Alex_ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 08:24   #4  |  Link
vampiredom

Also lose the AssumeFieldBased() line... This is not what you want. You should instead use (if anything) AssumeTFF() or AssumeBFF() to tell AviSynth the field order of the clip. Also take a look at DGIndex -> mpeg2source() instead of DirectShowSource(). mpeg2source should set the field order correctly, so you probably won't need to "assume" anything.

Last edited by vampiredom; 26th September 2008 at 08:27.
vampiredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 19:18   #5  |  Link
Textbook

Ahh, thank you folks. I was confused, thinking the field shift fixer was a deinterlacer. My apologies. I will stick to yadif and smart deinterlacer then. Thanks everybody!
Textbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 00:36   #6  |  Link
Mounir

Does someone know if MSU will release their deinterlacer ?

Judging by the example they've provided it's really good !

Is there a deinterlacer that give similar results with avisynth ??
Mounir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 04:12   #7  |  Link
aegisofrime

I'm gonna have to say TGMC.
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 07:53   #8  |  Link
Terka

not all you see is good. static pictures is one thing, flickering video other. try TGMC, it is slow, but far better than all other deinterlace filters ive seen.
Terka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deinterlace, deinterlacer, msu