Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18th September 2012, 23:04   #1  |  Link
maxxon
Registered User
 
maxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On the net
Posts: 76
Having problems with my transcode :(

I've been trying to get ffmpeg to transcode files automatically for me, but I've been having some problems with the playback. It would work for a time (1/2 an hour to an hour) and then crash my dvd player, requiring me to turn it off and on again via the power button.

My command lines look like this (this is a code fragment in batch which is attached):
Code:
ffmpeg -i "%infile%" -vtag DIVX -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -aspect %dar% -s %resolution% -b:v %vbps% \
  -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128000 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -pass 1 -passlogfile %passLogFile% -y NUL
ffmpeg -i "%infile%" -vtag DIVX -f avi -vcodec mpeg4 -aspect %dar% -s %resolution% -b:v %vbps% \
  -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128000 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -pass 2 -passlogfile %passLogFile% -y "%outfile%.avi"
This is a patchwork of several command lines I've seen on the web. The other code not shown is my attempt in semi-automating the process. Can anyone give me an idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,


|\/|x
Attached Files
File Type: 7z reencode.7z (1.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Guest; 18th September 2012 at 23:14. Reason: formatting to avoid wide page
maxxon is offline  
Old 18th September 2012, 23:52   #2  |  Link
nm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxon View Post
Can anyone give me an idea what I'm doing wrong here?
Asking about MPEG-4 ASP encoding on the MPEG-4 AVC subforum.

Which video formats does your player support besides MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 ASP? It those are the only options, maybe you could try encoding with Xvid instead of libavcodec. Or try a different resolution and framerate.

How big are the AVI files that crash the player? What happens if you encode the movie to fit under 1 or 2 GB?
nm is offline  
Old 19th September 2012, 02:12   #3  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL
 
Blue_MiSfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,340
Moved to MPEG-4 ASP forum.

Also, you might want to consider using xvid instead of ffmpeg's MPEG-4 Part 2 encoder. This used to be best practice, but I'm not so sure anymore. MPEG-4 Part 10 / AVC / H.264 has totally replaced MPEG-4 Part 2 for me.
Blue_MiSfit is offline  
Old 19th September 2012, 02:56   #4  |  Link
maxxon
Registered User
 
maxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On the net
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
Asking about MPEG-4 ASP encoding on the MPEG-4 AVC subforum.
Sorry, I'm not sure about all of these formats. That's why I'm asking. What is MPEG-4 ASP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
Which video formats does your player support besides MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 ASP? It those are the only options, maybe you could try encoding with Xvid instead of libavcodec. Or try a different resolution and framerate.
This is from the manual of the DVD player:
Playable DivX file
.avi, .mpg, .mpeg
Playable Subtitle format
SubRip(*.srt/*.txt)
SAMI(*.smi)
SubStation Alpha(*.ssa/*.txt)
MicroDVD(*.sub/*.txt)
SubViewer 2.0(*.sub/*.txt)
TMPlayer(*.txt)
Dvd Subtitle System(*.txt)
VobSub (*.sub) b Sub/idx, stream based format.
Playable Codec format
"DIVX3.xx ", "DIVX4.xx ", "DIVX5.xx ",
"MP43 ", "3IVX ".
Playable Audio format
"Dolby Digital ", "DTS ", "PCM ", "MP3 ", "WMA ".
Sampling frequency: within 8 - 48 kHz (MP3),
within 22 - 48kHz (WMA)
Bit rate: within 8 - 320kbps (MP3),
32 - 256kbps (WMA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
How big are the AVI files that crash the player? What happens if you encode the movie to fit under 1 or 2 GB?
I've tried several sizes. 759809KB, 852085KB and 964924KB

Thanks for your help.


|\/|x
maxxon is offline  
Old 19th September 2012, 06:41   #5  |  Link
maxxon
Registered User
 
maxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On the net
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Moved to MPEG-4 ASP forum.

Also, you might want to consider using xvid instead of ffmpeg's MPEG-4 Part 2 encoder. This used to be best practice, but I'm not so sure anymore. MPEG-4 Part 10 / AVC / H.264 has totally replaced MPEG-4 Part 2 for me.
Thanks, could you point me to a command line to use? There are a lot of options and I'm not totally sure as to how they all interact with each other, except though trial an error. Is there some way that I could do this with a more logical approach?

Thanks again!


|\/|x
maxxon is offline  
Old 19th September 2012, 16:41   #6  |  Link
maxxon
Registered User
 
maxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On the net
Posts: 76
BTW, I've in the past tried to use H.264 without success.

EDIT: Oh, and by that, the DVD player wouldn't play the video.

Last edited by maxxon; 19th September 2012 at 16:53.
maxxon is offline  
Old 19th September 2012, 17:00   #7  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxon View Post
BTW, I've in the past tried to use H.264 without success.

EDIT: Oh, and by that, the DVD player wouldn't play the video.
DVD players can play only MPEG2 video. BluRay players can play AVC, MPEG2, or VC1. Of course in both cases you need to also use a container that the player supports.
Guest is offline  
Old 20th September 2012, 03:08   #8  |  Link
maxxon
Registered User
 
maxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On the net
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
DVD players can play only MPEG2 video. BluRay players can play AVC, MPEG2, or VC1. Of course in both cases you need to also use a container that the player supports.
Thanks neuron2, but if I understand the stuff I've been reading correctly, DVD players that can play DivX videos are actually playing a MPEG-4 complaint video. You must be referring to DVD players that play only DVDs. DVDs are MPEG-2 as per their specification, unless you use a data DVD, in which case it can be anything, and must be complaint to what ever codecs the DVD player is said to be compatible with as well as being able to read from data DVDs .

Does anyone have any idea why my DVD player is crashing? Am I correct that it should be able to take a MPEG-4 AVS file? If so, what command line should I use?

Thanks all.



|\/|x
maxxon is offline  
Old 20th September 2012, 04:34   #9  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
From what you posted, your player does not play AVC video (H.264).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxon View Post
Does anyone have any idea why my DVD player is crashing?
Because it is crap? Post a sample file that crashes it and we can see if it crashes on our players.

Quote:
Am I correct that it should be able to take a MPEG-4 AVS file? If so, what command line should I use?
There's no such thing as MPEG-4 AVS. If you mean ASP then yes, it should play it. If you mean AVC (H.264) then no.

Last edited by Guest; 20th September 2012 at 04:37.
Guest is offline  
Old 20th September 2012, 06:14   #10  |  Link
maxxon
Registered User
 
maxxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On the net
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
From what you posted, your player does not play AVC video (H.264).

Because it is crap? Post a sample file that crashes it and we can see if it crashes on our players.
Thanks. The DVD player isn't mine, its my dad's. It is a LG LDA-831. The last video that crashed was an episode of Dexter S01E01 from here. When I go there next, I'll have to check out the entire system again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
There's no such thing as MPEG-4 AVS. If you mean ASP then yes, it should play it. If you mean AVC (H.264) then no.
Yeah, I was mistaken, I meant to type ASP regarding the MPEG-4 Part 2 standard.
maxxon is offline  
Old 20th September 2012, 06:16   #11  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxon View Post
The last video that crashed was an episode of Dexter S01E01 from here.
What is that link? It's not working for me.
Guest is offline  
Old 20th September 2012, 12:24   #12  |  Link
Groucho2004
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
What is that link? It's not working for me.
That's a "Magnet" link to a torrent.
Groucho2004 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
ffmpeg, mp3, mp4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.