Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th September 2006, 04:41   #1  |  Link
ilovejedd
insane college undergrad

Ripping episodic DVD

I have Rurouni Kenshin Volume 1 DVD which has 4 episodes. I'm trying to rip this using IFO mode in DVD decrypter for conversion into hardsubbed MP4 files for my PSP.

Problem, it only has one PGC (1:36:59) for all 4 episodes. The PGC is divided into 16 chapters which I assume means four chapters per episode.

As I see it, I've got 2 options.
1) Rip PGC 1 into four VOB files (one for each ep) with four chapters each, then extract English subs for each VOB file. Process individual VOB files with DGIndex, create AviSynth script for each, and convert.

or

2) Rip PGC 1 into one big VOB file (Chapter Information - IfoEdit enabled), then extract English subs for the whole VOB file. Process VOB file with DGIndex, create four AviSynth scripts per episode using Trim() based on Chapter Information - IfoEdit.txt, and convert.

Which option would you recommend? I'm mainly concerned with audio and subtitle sync so whatever method gives me the least issues regarding those two is the one I'll use. Suggestions for alternate methods to do this is also very welcome.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 11:00   #2  |  Link
warrenc@greatsoft.co.za

Seeing you are concerned about mainly over Audio and Subtitle, maybe you should just you DVDShrink.

Use DVDFab Express to rip the DVD to your PC, then open the files on your hard-drive with DVDShrink. In ReAuthor mode, you can select the movie and extract it to a different folder.

Then run your conversion software on the resulting folder.

As long as you keep the audio and subtitles you want checked you'll come out OK !
warrenc@greatsoft.co.za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 16:25   #3  |  Link
ilovejedd
insane college undergrad

Anou, ripping the DVD per se is not really my concern here. It's ripping the DVD AND dividing them into respective episodes without losing audio and subtitle sync that's the issue. I've already ripped the whole DVD to my hard drive with RipIt4Me since I'm also doing a backup using DVD-RB. If I remember correctly, the DVD wasn't even encrypted.

So, any suggestions?
Old 12th September 2006, 20:46   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

I just tested with a Friends disk and had no trouble when I selected the "mass" PGC but only checked the chapters that pertained to the individual episodes, then ripped each episode's subtitles with VOBSub. Everything synched up fine.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 21:20   #5  |  Link
ilovejedd
insane college undergrad

Thanks so much! Option 1 it is. Which is great since it's a hassle to manually create the AVS script and try to decipher which frames in the chapter information correspond to the specific episodes.
Old 12th September 2006, 22:17   #6  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
ripping the DVD per se is not really my concern here
Thread transferred.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote