Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 17th January 2002, 05:26   #1  |  Link
mrbass

HD Playback Guide

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/hd-playback.htm
"In WinDVD it's a bit more complicated. You have to move all the files to a directory called VIDEO_TS on the root of your harddisk. An example: d:\VIDEO_TS . Then you start WinDVD, go to the options (press the wrench button) and select the harddisk containing the movie."

You don't have to do all that. I have WinDVD 2.4 (2000) not the latest by any means.

Select Playlist | Shift-click to add all vobs | voila.

Doesn't matter what the directory is named nor how many levels deep as to where the vobs are on the harddrive.
D:\vobs\whatevermovie
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 08:20   #2  |  Link
ffroms

Yes , but U can play only vob files with default audio and no subtitle. With Doom9's guide U can play it like it's DVD with all options.

FFS
ffroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 08:28   #3  |  Link
ZoSTeR

Use Subst!

The folders don't have to be on the root.
Just use the good old SUBST command.

E.g. subst x: c:\DVDs\MyFilm

and start the DVD from drive x:
ZoSTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 08:52   #4  |  Link
Bugs Bunny
Some Bloke

As noted elsewhere, the new PowerDVD XP will play in "DVD mode" as long as you have the requisite IFO/VOB files, and it doesn't matter where it's placed. But have you noticed that it takes a LOT more system horsepower to run a DVD in this mode, rather than regular file mode? I can run in file mode on my mini-notebook with no problem, but it becomes a slideshow if I try to run the same movie in DVD mode.
Bugs Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2002, 19:31   #5  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

why is nobody getting my definitions? HD Playback = playing the DVD from your harddisk as if the disc were in the drive.. all else is just is an elaborate form of creating a directshow graph.. you can play vobs in any ds capable player.. but you can't DVDs with menus and everything unless you use an actual software dvd player
Old 17th January 2002, 22:34   #6  |  Link
ZoSTeR

I found a little app called Virtual Drive Creator which is basically a GUI for the subst command.
So no hassle with the command line.

Last edited by ZoSTeR; 18th January 2002 at 01:15.
Old 17th January 2002, 23:17   #7  |  Link
mrbass

ok now I get it. Thanks for clarifying it for me doom9.
Old 18th January 2002, 00:13   #8  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I changed the tagline of the guide a bit.. should be more clear now.. I finally got tired of all the "alternative methods" that were proposed to me and that would only play vobs which really isn't what I had in mind. I've been playing vobs in software dvd players ever since I ripped... starting in late september 99 only a few days after dod speed ripper came out (cli ripping where you had to enter lba numbers to get the files.. the read deal
Old 18th January 2002, 01:17   #9  |  Link
ZoSTeR

oops i just noticed that the subst method doesn't seem to work with WinDVD.
But it works for sure with the Hollywood Plus.

Last edited by ZoSTeR; 18th January 2002 at 02:20.
Old 18th January 2002, 02:23   #10  |  Link
mrbass

not trying to be a wisea** or nothing like that..but when I did my above method with windvd I can choose subtitles, access all menus, etc...what don't I get? I must still be not understanding the whole picture.

doom9 posted:
Quote:
why is nobody getting my definitions? HD Playback = playing the DVD from your harddisk as if the disc were in the drive.. all else is just is an elaborate form of creating a directshow graph.. you can play vobs in any ds capable player.. but you can't DVDs with menus and everything unless you use an actual software dvd player
Old 18th January 2002, 07:55   #11  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

huh? when I add all the vobs from a dir in windvd3.1 all I get is vob playback... it is impossible to get the menus working as on a dvd when you play in file mode... it can't even load the necessary ifo files
Old 18th January 2002, 19:30   #12  |  Link
mrbass

ok then they must've changed it...I'm using WinDVD 2.4 so keep it the way it is.