Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 18th October 2011, 16:14   #1  |  Link
EuropeanMan

Frame correction for LEANING

DEi was a manufacturer of many Bollywood DVD9s in the 80s/90s timeframe. The problem with them is that MANY of their prints were messed up.

I wish I had a DVD9 to take a screenshot from. (Currently away from home) Basically the problem is this:

If I were to take a picture of someone. You'd see them standing up straight. With DEi, that same person would lean one way about 5 to 10 degrees. So this LEANING was consistent ALL the way through the movie. EROS was primarily another manufacturer who hired DEi to make prints of their catalogue. Some of those same films released THROUGH EROS had those same people standing up straight. HOW did DEi mess this up? Why do their prints LEAN while EROS doesn't? On top of it, DEi was known to heavily crop their films from all 4 sides. VERY rarely did they release a movie where it wasn't cropped and had the original A/R intact.

Is there ANY way to fix this, to get the frames BACK to lean the OPPOSITE way? I'd rather reAUTHOR my DEi titles because they are PROGRESSIVE, while EROS was always interlaced & badly on top of that...

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by EuropeanMan; 18th October 2011 at 16:18.
EuropeanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 16:57   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Probably a picture from one of their movies would explain better what you mean by "lean"
Old 19th October 2011, 12:52   #3  |  Link
jmac698

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/SkewRows
Or even try reform
http://avisynth.org/vcmohan/Reform/Reform.html
jmac698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 13:57   #4  |  Link
Bloax
The speed of stupid

Even though it's obvious now, I'll go ahead anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Probably a picture from one of their movies would explain better what you mean by "lean"
I think he means something like this. Except way less extreme.
Bloax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 21:58   #5  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

@Bloax,

That is a classic example of row skewing. The right and left sides of the image being stitched 1 pixel further across as you scan from bottom to top is the key hint. SkewRows(1) is designed to fix exactly this. The true width should have been 1367 not 1366. Unfortunately the last 768 pixels from the end of the top row will be missing.

I suspect EuropeanMan's problem is going to be skewing due to a fast shutter speed being used with a slow vertical blind style shutter, i.e. shutter is made from 2 blinds, 1st blind starts a down sweep exposing the film maybe taking 1/30th second to complete, the second blind follows close behind the first, maybe 1/250th second later, ending the exposure. So although the exposure time is 1/250th second the bottom of the negative is exposed 1/30th second after the top so things that move horizontally during this time become skewed in the final image. This shutter design was common for 35mm SLR type of still cameras, but I am not aware of this design being used in movie cameras. I guess when EuropeanMan posts a still we can stop guessing.

SkewRows can quickly adjust for only integer pixel skewing. Reform will more likely be required for the fractional shift needed. The hard bit is going to be the motion tracking, still image elements won't be skewed.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 17:09   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Why don't we all wait for a sample instead of assuming things?
Old 21st October 2011, 04:44   #7  |  Link
EuropeanMan

Arghhhh I had totally forgotten about my thread...so so sorry...

here's an example from one particular DEi title: Khal Nayak (1993)

Old 21st October 2011, 05:03   #8  |  Link
EuropeanMan

^ this is a PRIME example...
Old 21st October 2011, 05:08   #9  |  Link
EuropeanMan

I also realise that IF there was a way to fix this, I'd have to crop on both sides just to get the main part of the frame "perpendicular" so to speak. Each side's corner/triangle would then be gone...
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:40   #10  |  Link
manono

If you just want to rotate it a little bit clockwise, then Fizick's Rotate filter is what you want:

http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/

Rotate(1.5) rotates it one and a half degrees clockwise. And as you said, you'll have to crop and resize.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:09   #11  |  Link
jmac698

It's not a rotation, you need reform.
Old 24th October 2011, 05:17   #12  |  Link
EuropeanMan

^ could you please elaborate on REFORM? thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 08:25   #13  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanMan View Post
^ could you please elaborate on REFORM? thanks
He already linked to it earlier:

http://avisynth.org/vcmohan/Reform/Reform.html
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 21:27   #14  |  Link
poisondeathray

Another option is vdub's perspective filter , or use batch image processing as stills like photoshop gimp's shear filter . You can fix it quite easily in after effects as well with shear and bezier warp tools

There might be something similar in avisynth, use search terms like warped frame, perspective, shear, and you might have better search results than "leaning"
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 18:25   #15  |  Link
Asmodian

Reform looks very impressive, it should work if it is the entire frame. From the screen shots I think the entire frame might be distorted but I cannot be sure. If it is only moving objects then it could be much more complicated.
Asmodian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 19:01   #16  |  Link
jmac698

It does look suspicious. The background doesn't seem to have the problem, in which case it could be like shutter roll. In that case it's related to the movement, so it's not easy to fix.
Old 25th October 2011, 22:29   #17  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanMan View Post
Some of those same films released THROUGH EROS had those same people standing up straight.
Might be advantageous if we could see similar frames of those invididuals that lean one way or another, compared to the fine upstanding folk.

Edit: The above would seem to be post production and rule out anything related to movement during capture.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th October 2011 at 22:43.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 22:32   #18  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
It does look suspicious. The background doesn't seem to have the problem, in which case it could be like shutter roll. In that case it's related to the movement, so it's not easy to fix.
The background does have problem. If you look at the palm trees behind the girl's right in the 1st picture and the ship anchor in the 2nd picture, both are skewed . I would use the ship anchor as a vertical reference object to determine how much to correct

Also, he said it's consistent all the way through the movie in the 1st post , which implies a transfer issue

Pretty easy to fix with the vdub perspective plugin, or at least improve dramatically if it's constant. Otherwise you could keyframe the correction in something like after effects .
Old 25th October 2011, 22:49   #19  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
the ship anchor in the 2nd picture, both are skewed . I would use the ship anchor as a vertical reference object to determine how much to correct
You cannot assume anything from the angle of the ships anchor,
a little strain on an anchor chain is not unusual.

EDIT: One thing to note is the disparity in angle between the two samson posts (masts) on the ship.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th October 2011 at 23:09.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 22:56   #20  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
You cannot assume anything from the angle of the ships anchor,
a little strain on an anchor chain is not unusual.

True, but correlate that observation with the angle of metal pillar beside the guy with the dark blue shirt (he's cut off in the background). Unless the ground is uneven there.... To me, the angle is very similar . IMO, this rough angle correction isn't worse that the original . I'm sure he can tweak it better, & crop & resize if he spends more time

The vdub plugin only allows for 4 point correction. It's not a mesh filter that allows for disproporational distortions. AE has several warp filters that can correct for more complex distortions and affect different parts of the frame, but I think you can get away with the vdub plugin only in this case, but he would have to correleate with other objects and other scenes to fine tune the correction

Last edited by poisondeathray; 25th October 2011 at 23:06.