Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th October 2019, 10:20   #57701  |  Link
madjock

So you found out it was an update, but yet still re-installed ?

What update was it, and what problems do you refer to ?
Old 29th October 2019, 14:18   #57702  |  Link
Damien147

I have a fake hdr 4k display and wonder which option is more beneficial.

Option 1:Create a BT.2020 3dlut in calibration tab and use tone map HDR using pixel shaders.
Option 2:Tone map HDR using external 3dlut.

Is option 1 more beneficial or they offer the same thing?
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 16:36   #57703  |  Link
mambans

I recently noticed that HDR on win 10 seems to work better now. It automatically switches to HDR and Exclusive fullscreen mode is also ON for HDR.
mambans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 20:03   #57704  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
They don't offer the same, most notable differences are, with option 1:

- Dynamic tone mapping.
- Highlight recovery.
- Tone map in RGB if you want.
- Dynamic target nits in latest beta.

And with option 2 (and a DisplayCAL 3dlut):

- Plenty of adjustable options for HQ gamut mapping and saturation correction.
- Possibility of using the original BT.2390 roll-off.
- Adjustable black output offset.

The most beneficial depends on what you give more importance, so you'll have to experiment.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2019, 23:24   #57705  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
mastering screen are usually IPS 1000:1 screen like the eizo coloredge series there are other screen that are not IPS yes there are but that's not the point.
Most colorizing for older big movies were done on crt/ plasma

Then they moved to OLED and Dolby Pulsars LCD for HDR.

I don't think they'd use an Eizo ips, unless it was a secondary side monitor while grading on projector.

They WOULD USE an Eizo LMCL IPS, this is not 1000:1, these are 1,000,000:1, for HDR

Soon, LMCL LCD from Hisense.. Affordable + no burnin. Oled can finally die.

What would be really nice.. would be LMCL + Curved + VA + Strobe

Last edited by tp4tissue; 29th October 2019 at 23:29.
tp4tissue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 00:48   #57706  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
using HDR mode on projector is not recommended.
I appreciate your recommendation.

But if I wanted to ignore your advice and make it work? Do you know why HDR does not work when full screen?

Thanks.
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 01:51   #57707  |  Link
el Filou

Projectors don't have the brightness/contrast to accurately reproduce HDR like flat panels can, so they have to tone map to what ends up being very close to SDR, and most don't do a very good job of it so madVR doing the tone mapping and outputting in SDR will give a much better quality.
Old 30th October 2019, 09:22   #57708  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Finally die? OLED is here for decades.. LMCL LCD in a TV soon?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 13:56   #57709  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Most colorizing for older big movies were done on crt/ plasma

Then they moved to OLED and Dolby Pulsars LCD for HDR.

I don't think they'd use an Eizo ips, unless it was a secondary side monitor while grading on projector.

They WOULD USE an Eizo LMCL IPS, this is not 1000:1, these are 1,000,000:1, for HDR

What would be really nice.. would be LMCL + Curved + VA + Strobe
i'd certainly like to see OLED get some competition finally, mine is nearly 5 years old now and still no burn in.

I'd probably agree OLED will probably be slowly phased out like plasma when a better tech comes along, I'm not sure we are there yet.

I'd really love to see 3D come back at some point though, OLED 3d is still the best visual experience i've ever had, beating even the cinema IMHO, this is why I still have my 2015 3D OLED.
Old 30th October 2019, 15:51   #57710  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
I have a fake hdr 4k display and wonder which option is more beneficial.

Option 1:Create a BT.2020 3dlut in calibration tab and use tone map HDR using pixel shaders.
Option 2:Tone map HDR using external 3dlut.

Option 1 will give a much better result, especially with the latest madVR test builds with dynamic tone-mapping.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 16:14   #57711  |  Link
Damien147

Ok,I will try option 1 next time I calibrate.Now I am with option 2(do I still have calibrated picture?)
Thank you.

@Alexkral

I thought it was more straightforward and wasn't specific enough.I just want calibrated picture + tone map HDR.
Thank you.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 16:41   #57712  |  Link
redbtn

There is a lot new settings for HDR in test build. I don't understand most of them. Can I adjust HDR > SDR so that bright scenes or objects have less brightness without reducing the overall brightness?
redbtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 21:14   #57713  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I'd probably agree OLED will probably be slowly phased out like plasma when a better tech comes along, I'm not sure we are there yet.
Samsung has recently announced it will begin OLED production, with a different technology than LG. Once Samsung gets on board, it's kind of unlikely that we will see OLED's demise in the near term. Even the next 5 years appear to be quite unlikely.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2019, 21:32   #57714  |  Link
ryrynz

Not even remotely likely. They aren't just gonna give up on billions of dollars worth of gear and investment just because something better comes along. Ya know how Capitalism works.. You pay a premium for new stuff and old stuff is given planned obsolescence. OLED isn't anywhere near the same position as previous "outdated" display technologies. OLED production is ramping up and being invested heavily into.. It's here for a long time, it might even see you out. It's still top dog right now and that ain't changing soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
i'd certainly like to see OLED get some competition finally
Something with better motion resolution would be great. CRTs and plasmas still far excel current flat screen technologies. Instead we'll see even more brightness, color range and improvements on price and power draw and processing which will lead to incremental improvements but should help with more people seeing great image quality. Seems like we're reaching a plateau.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th October 2019 at 22:24.
Old 31st October 2019, 00:57   #57715  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Not even remotely likely. They aren't just gonna give up on billions of dollars worth of gear and investment
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Samsung has recently announced it will begin OLED production, with a different technology than LG. Once Samsung gets on board, it's kind of unlikely that we will see OLED's demise in the near term. Even the next 5 years appear to be quite unlikely.
The reason OLED is being pushed isn't because they're GOOD, it's because they're cheaper to make, much cheaper than LMCL LCD.

OLED will become the poor man's TV given time, while LMCL takes the Top End.

This is good and bad news. Good because, it's still a nice technology, and looks quite nice overall. Bad because it will hinder LMCL which is what we REALLY WANT..

I've seen an eizo 3145 in person, it is without a doubt THE FUTURE. Sustained 1000nit highlights, no dimming, per pixel backlight , a GODLY sight to behold. Point is, throw enough money at it, ANY LMCL LCD can push that 1000nit in 2 years. No amount of money will get you sustained 1000nit on OLED, not without some danger of burnin. On the LMCL , you can roll 1000nit all day, every day for as long as those LEDs will push 1000nits. Try that with an OLED, you'll have burnin within minutes.

For Anyone who claims their oled hasn't burned in, you're basically babying/ not using it, that's not living, that's OLED prison.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 31st October 2019 at 01:04.
tp4tissue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 01:13   #57716  |  Link
ryrynz

Cheaper to make is what sells, they are good at their respective price point, nobody really is complaining that we don't have TVs that are on an equal level to professional mastering monitors, we're pretty damn close as it is which some of our actual screens actually being used in the grading process. Not sure about OLED specifically being the poor mans TV, maybe quantum dot, depends on what's cheaper.

It all depends on what the companies decide to push and put money into.. incremental upgrades only thanks to Capitalism, revolutionary stuff planned decades from now, gotta milk them cows until death.
Old 31st October 2019, 01:50   #57717  |  Link
el Filou

Nobody needs to 'roll 1000 nits all day' because no real content is sustained 1000 nits (and also I care for my eyes).
I also don't 'REALLY WANT' LMCL because it is LCD and LCD has inherent flaws that adding another liquid crystal layer won't change.
A tech may well be a 'GODLY sight' for colour grading in a studio and not necessarily be good for enjoying content at home.
Old 31st October 2019, 09:20   #57718  |  Link
huhn

wow there is a screen with more CR that can do a 1000 nits.
with an response time of just "typical" 10 ms and that's there specs. are screens like these present yes but that doesn't change that the majority of mastering screen is not even close to that.
there is a sony OLED (not LG WRGB) that can do far more then DCI p3 and is even able to display a true interlaced images do you have 100 of them no you don't.

your eyes doesn't care about 1000 nits even 10000 the outside is quite bright at worst you will get night blind for a very short time...
the real issue of 10000 nits or even 1000 is power consumption.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 17:17   #57719  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Nobody needs to 'roll 1000 nits all day' because no real content is sustained 1000 nits (and also I care for my eyes).
I also don't 'REALLY WANT' LMCL because it is LCD and LCD has inherent flaws that adding another liquid crystal layer won't change.
A tech may well be a 'GODLY sight' for colour grading in a studio and not necessarily be good for enjoying content at home.
You want the ability for the display to do 1000 nits or soon 4000 nits.

It doesn't mean the picture is any brighter, it means that elements within the picture can be shown brighter.

Movie makers don't encode large bright areas like skies at 1000nit, but they do encode things like explosions and lights and things like that at 1000 nits or close to it.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2019, 20:03   #57720  |  Link
mclingo

The Panasonic GZ2000 OLED can his 1000 nits, lower and mid range OLEDs hit around 6-900, my 2015 hits just over 400 peak.

Thing is, in a pitch black room you really dont needs loads of nits, it more about dynamics and contrast.

My dad just bought a Samsung Q85, its a fantastic TV but I still prefer my ageing OLED in a pitch dark room for SDR and HDR.

Subjective though I know, I guess those who like a bit of bias lighting would be better off without an OLED.

For me though, any light source other than the TV takes me right out of what i'm watching though, I have led power lights masked off and black walls around the TV, its looks better than you might think.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling