Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 8th January 2009, 16:46   #7721  |  Link
n0mag!c
use 'r'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
The output file is written in the folder where eac3to.exe is called from or in whatever folder you set.
I fully understand the logic of creation files, don't worry about that. I state, that now "eac3to" removes ":" from file name like this "j:5e.wav" and creates file "j5e.wav" instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
Read your changelog.txt that's included with every release.
This is evil logic to keep description of application in "changelog.txt". Especially, while help screen exists.

And another little bug, as far as it goes.
When capturing output from "eac3to" like this: "eac3to>help.txt", file is filled with 08h characters, but they must have not be there.

Quote:
And for all those that don't use this file as a reference, it's the least you can do to show madshi you appreciate all his efforts.
P.S. Madshi, I appreciate your work very-very much, there's no doubt! Making world a little more perfect is great.

Last edited by n0mag!c; 8th January 2009 at 17:17.
Old 8th January 2009, 17:14   #7722  |  Link
rebkell

I would guess the bug or change happened because of this problem:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=7607
Old 8th January 2009, 18:34   #7723  |  Link
alc0re

madshi,

Could you add a command that forces dialog normalization...something like -forceDialnorm

Or even a command that would me me specify what level of dialog normalization an ac3 file has? Either way would work. Yet another option would be if eac3to detected a -0 dialog normalization level as having dialog normalization so that when eac3to extracted the file it would change it to -31. Reason I ask is so that I can "fix" my ac3 tracks with -0 dialog normalization without having to re-encode them. I believe that this wouldn't be too big of a feature to add since removing dialog normalization doesn't seem to require re-encoding (seems like its just changing the value from whatever the file was to -0 pre v2.85 or -31 post v2.85 .)

One other question : When I do an eac3to command on a bluray structure, it tells me my main movie track's video is something like 1080p24. lets say that was feature 1. So I do a eac3to 1) command and again is says the video track is 1080p24. When I check the m2ts file with mediainfo it says the video is 23.976 FPS. MeGUI also detects the video as 23.976 FPS. I transcode my video down to 720p and create a bluray structure with tsMuxer. When I play my avchd discs on my bluray player, the video stutters when there's movement...like if the camera is following the actor and the background is moving, the background seems to stutter. Now I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening. Only difference I have noticed is the following. eac3to reports 1080p24 on both the regular eac3to command against the original bluray and when I look at the main movie feature (ie eac3to 1) ) When I do a eac3to command on my bluray structured transcoded bluray, it reports 720p24. But when I look at the main movie feature (eac3to 1)) it reports 720p23. I looked at my bluray structure with bdedit.exe on both the original bluray and my transcoded bluray and I don't see any difference. Where does eac3to get the information from that would be having eac3to say its 720p23 instead of 720p24? I think this might have something to do with why my video seems to stutter. PS. doesnt happen on my pc when I play the m2ts file directly. And yes when I transcode my video it is transcoded at 23.976 fps.

Last edited by alc0re; 8th January 2009 at 18:36.
Old 8th January 2009, 19:45   #7724  |  Link
n0mag!c
use 'r'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc0re View Post
When I play my avchd discs on my bluray player, the video stutters when there's movement...like if the camera is following the actor and the background is moving, the background seems to stutter. Now I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening.
I guess it's just your TV issue. 24 fps is too slow for human eye. Size of your PC monitor is smaller and refresh rate is greater, that's why this stutter is less noticable on PC.
Modern TVs use different techniques to eliminate this effect, personally, I prefer interpolation of additional frames, similar to Philips' DNM (digital natural motion). But many others don't like it for the "theatre" look.

Last edited by n0mag!c; 8th January 2009 at 22:24.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:00   #7725  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0mag!c View Post
I fully understand the logic of creation files, don't worry about that. I state, that now "eac3to" removes ":" from file name like this "j:5e.wav" and creates file "j5e.wav" instead.
Have you ever tried using : for a filename in windows? Guess what happens.
Old 8th January 2009, 21:07   #7726  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
...This is evil logic to keep description of application in "changelog.txt". Especially, while help screen exists....
The help screen is for existing switches and, at the developer's discretion, may not show hidden switches. It's not for "updates," i.e., switches may be added, removed, renamed, etc. That's why you need to check the changes log.

Quote:
...And another little bug, as far as it goes.
When capturing output from "eac3to" like this: "eac3to>help.txt", file is filled with 08h characters, but they must have not be there.
Use the -log switch. There's no need to pipe the output since the -log now does everything and madshi was kind enough to allow multiple running instances to have their own logs.

It's not a bug, it's just what gets piped from the screen/console to the file.

All you need to do is run this: eac3to -log=help.txt

Last edited by Chumbo; 8th January 2009 at 21:13.
Old 8th January 2009, 21:38   #7727  |  Link
n0mag!c
use 'r'

Quote:
Have you ever tried using : for a filename in windows? Guess what happens.
Of course, constantly! I'm using "Far manager" as "GUI" for "DOS" environment. And using "j:5e.wav" as file name helps me to avoid using full path. So current paths for all disks live long lifes in this console application.

Quote:
It's not a bug, it's just what gets piped from the screen/console to the file.
But this happens only with "eac3to"...
Old 8th January 2009, 23:29   #7728  |  Link
asarian

@Madshi,

When I convert a DTS Hi-Res stream (from Predator 2) to LPCM, eac3to doesn't seem to list the final bit-depth:

Code:
eac3to 00013.m2ts 3: c:\video\temp.pcm
M2TS, 1 video track, 9 audio tracks, 24 subtitle tracks, 1:48:00
1: Chapters, 33 chapters
2: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: DTS Hi-Res, English, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 3018kbps, 48khz
   (core: DTS, 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 1509kbps, 48khz)
[a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
[a03] Decoding with ArcSoft DTS Decoder...
[a03] Swapping endian...
[a03] Remapping channels...
[a03] Creating file "c:\video\temp.pcm"...
[a03] The last DTS frame is incomplete and thus gets skipped.
Video track 2 contains 155364 frames.
eac3to processing took 17 minutes, 40 seconds.
Done.
Normally, it gives me a message saying the final output file had 16/24 bit depth, etc. This time not. Is that a small bug?

Thanks
Old 8th January 2009, 23:47   #7729  |  Link
alc0re

I appreciate your reply n0magic but that's not taking into account that I said it doesn't happen when i'm watching non-transcoded retail bluray or hd-dvds on my tv...
Old 9th January 2009, 00:09   #7730  |  Link
n0mag!c
use 'r'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc0re View Post
I appreciate your reply n0magic but that's not taking into account that I said it doesn't happen when i'm watching non-transcoded retail bluray or hd-dvds on my tv...
I'm sorry, all ordinary TVs seem like stuttering to me. Ok, then here's my second guess - bitrate overflow. Do you have ability to burn your transcodings on BD-RE which support higher transfer rate to test this?
Sometimes 23, 24, 23.976 are used as synonyms.

Last edited by n0mag!c; 9th January 2009 at 00:37.
Old 9th January 2009, 02:49   #7731  |  Link
alc0re

no i dont have that ability. To me I see stuttering a lot too but not like this. I can take the same movie and watch it from the retail bluray or hd-dvd and then transcode it and see a big difference.

BD-RE is not an option for me.

I thought maybe the bitrate was too high also for a dvd, but I've been using Ryu77's profiles lately for avchd content. he's got a lower value in his profile. Ryu's profile : VBVBuffersize = 15000 and VBVMaxbirate = 17500. Those values are a lot lower than max 40000 for 4.1 (which is max supported.) I'm still curious why it says 1080p24 on the original bluray and not on the transcoded.

If I can't figure this out I'm going to try playing the avchd disc on another brand bluray player. Problem with that is that it won't be on my tv.

EDIT/UPDATE : This morning I transcoded The Matrix Revolutions using RipBot264 instead of MeGUI. My normal process is using MeGUI with Ryu77's AVCHD profile, with a target size of 8152 to fit on a dual layer dvd. I have been burning my movies to memorex dual layer dvds. I wanted to try something different so I transcoded the matrix 3 this morning using ripbot instead of megui. I also changed the target size to fit on a single layer dvd. I used ripbot's avchd/bluray profiles. I also burnt the movie to a Verbatim single layer dvd that I just bought cause I researched and found that Verbatim make better blank dvds. I'm watching that ripbot transcoded movie right now and I don't see the same stuttering issue. Unfortunately there were a few different things that are different now. RipBot did the transcoding, albeit with the same program that MeGUI does so that shouldn't be the difference. The bitrate is a lot lower than all my other transcodes since I made this one fit on a single layer dvd (dual layers are freakin expensive.) The x264 encoding profile is different. The level is different (4.0 as opposed to 4.1) I just now have to try different things to figure out what made the difference. Also, RipBot does the muxing through tsMuxer as opposed to me doing it manually. I need to figure out if RipBot changes any of the default muxing options in tsMuxer, like the "continually insert SPS/PPS or Add Picture Timing Info or or Use ASync I/O.

EDIT/UPDATE 2 : Demuxed a movie that had the stuttering issue. Remuxed the movie with tsRemux and on the video stream options, I changed the level from High@4.1 to High@4.0. Tested. Works perfectly. So for anyone interested, the panasonic bd35 does not play nice with video at level 4.1.

Last edited by alc0re; 9th January 2009 at 08:14.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:35   #7732  |  Link
idbirch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarian View Post
When I convert a DTS Hi-Res stream (from Predator 2) to LPCM, eac3to doesn't seem to list the final bit-depth:

Normally, it gives me a message saying the final output file had 16/24 bit depth, etc. This time not. Is that a small bug?
Just run eac3to "c:\video\temp.pcm"
Old 9th January 2009, 11:21   #7733  |  Link
shanghai2004

Crash when EVO unexpectedly ends / incomplete EAC3 packet

Madshi,

Had finally time to make a sample to reproduce the issue from post #7225.
(issue: cannot extract EAC3 5.1 audio track from EVO, got endless 13ms audio overlap warnings, preventing eac3to from completing)

However, while testing the sample, eac3to doesn't like incomplete EAC3 packets anymore seems. Got crash.

Sample (part1.evo, 33MB):

http://www.mediafire.com/?c1sn23b2kxr

See also crash report send by email
Old 9th January 2009, 16:44   #7734  |  Link
n0mag!c
use 'r'

@Madshi

I've never got "Clipping detected" message on AC3-file before, is it normal?
Code:
eac3to v2.87
command line: D:\PROGRAMS\AUDIO\EAC3TO\eac3to.EXE en.ac3 J:\temp\trans\en.wavs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:23:27, 448kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
The Nero decoder doesn't seem to work, will use libav instead.
Removing AC3 dialog normalization...
Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
Remapping channels...
Reducing depth from 64 to 24 bits...
Writing WAVs...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.C.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.LFE.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.L.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.R.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.SL.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.SR.wav"...
Clipping detected, a 2nd pass will be necessary.
Starting 2nd pass...
Removing AC3 dialog normalization...
Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
Remapping channels...
Reducing depth from 64 to 24 bits...
Writing WAVs...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.L.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.C.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.R.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.LFE.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.SL.wav"...
Creating file "J:\temp\trans\en.SR.wav"...
eac3to processing took 9 minutes, 13 seconds.
Done.
"DelayCut" didn't find any problem:
Code:
====== INPUT FILE INFO ========================
File is          	ac3
Bitrate  (kbit/s) 	448
Act rate (kbit/s) 	448.000
File size (bytes)	481990656
Channels mode    	3/2: L+C+R+SL+SR
Sampling Frec    	48000
Low Frec Effects 	LFE: Present
Duration         	02:23:26.976
Frame length (ms)	32.000000
Frames/second    	31.250000
Num of frames    	268968
Bytes per Frame  	1792.0000
Size % Framesize 	0
CRC present: 	YES
=============================================
====== TARGET FILE INFO ======================
Start Frame   	0
End Frame     	268967
Num of Frames 	268968
Duration      	02:23:26.976
NotFixedDelay 	0.0000
=============================================
====== PROCESSING LOG ======================
Though "eac3to" created files with exactly the same length - 02:23:26.976

P.S. Gosh, I'd rather be using 2.80...

P.P.S. Here is that sample.

Last edited by n0mag!c; 9th January 2009 at 16:56.
Old 9th January 2009, 18:18   #7735  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

is there actually any way to utilize DTS Express tracks somehow atm? using ac3filter, I only get garbage sound and muxing them with mkvmerge doesnt work as well yet. so is converting them to normal DTS or ac3 is the only choice I have atm?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 9th January 2009 at 18:45.
Old 9th January 2009, 18:47   #7736  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
I've never got "Clipping detected" message on AC3-file before, is it normal?
Yes, it is. eac3to can now detect audio peaks above "maximum level" and if necessary reduce the volume of the track so the clipping is gone.

(hope i explained this correctly, madshi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is there actually any way to utilize DTS Express tracks somehow atm? using ac3filter, I only get garbage sound and muxing them with mkvmerge doesnt work as well yet. so is converting them to normal DTS or ac3 the only choice I have atm?
Can't you use nero decoder with your media player (mpc)? I think is the only dshow decoder available for dts express. Otherwise conversion is the only way.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:49   #7737  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch2 View Post
Just run eac3to "c:\video\temp.pcm"
Never knew you could do that. (since pcm/raw has no header and all). If at all possible, though, I'd like eac3to to include that information for DTS-HD tracks too, like it does for DTS-MA/TrueHD, etc.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:57   #7738  |  Link
n0mag!c
use 'r'

Quote:
eac3to can now detect audio peaks above "maximum level" and if necessary reduce the volume of the track so the clipping is gone.
Thanks! I incorrectly believed that this is equal to gap/overlap detection. (on coincidence, my two audio streams go out of sync at this point). I really don't like that the second pass is needed to eliminate clipping.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:09   #7739  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Yes, it is. eac3to can now detect audio peaks above "maximum level" and if necessary reduce the volume of the track so the clipping is gone.

(hope i explained this correctly, madshi)

Can't you use nero decoder with your media player (mpc)? I think is the only dshow decoder available for dts express. Otherwise conversion is the only way.
i deactivated all other audio filters, but still only got garbage noise with it. same for arcsoft and arcsoft HD decoder
Old 9th January 2009, 20:12   #7740  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Quote:
Yup, funny.
Quote:
All you need to do is run this: eac3to -log=help.txt
By convention,
command > log.txt
should work with any console command line application. For some reason, eac3to prints 80 backspace characters at the beginning of each line. Wierd.

Last edited by 73ChargerFan; 9th January 2009 at 20:20.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to