Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 16th September 2008, 23:48   #6221  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
[a02] This audio track has a constant bit depth of 16 bits
This is from his previous post. He has highlighted bitdepth.
Old 16th September 2008, 23:54   #6222  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
This is from his previous post. He has highlighted bitdepth.
I did say i've messed, what do you want me to say more?
Old 17th September 2008, 00:00   #6223  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
I did say i've messed, what do you want me to say more?
Look at the time i posted that... Simultaneously with your last post.

This was headed to madshi, but i didn't get what he meant, thus i made that post.

It seems we all messed up. It's late EU hours. Time to sleep.
Old 17th September 2008, 00:07   #6224  |  Link
rica

Yes i realized that before you posted

But last thing before going to sleep:

I, this time, delayed video reverse but what happened?

Audio automatically put delay itself so nothing has changed

EDIT: OK, nautilus7 was right; with Virtual Clone Drive everything is OK after my last video delay

Last edited by rica; 17th September 2008 at 01:54.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:59   #6225  |  Link
rack04

I was reading the eac3to wikibook trying to get up to speed on converting LPCM tracks from Blu-ray discs. Is there a bug in the LPCM parameter auto detection process because the wikibook gives two examples of the conversion to wavs?
Old 17th September 2008, 15:05   #6226  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eac3to wikibooks
* Convert a 16 bit 48 KHz 5.1 LPCM track to 6 mono WAV tracks, while LPCM parameter auto detection works fine:

Code:
eac3to input.pcm output.wavs
* Convert a 16 bit 48 KHz 5.1 LPCM track to 6 mono WAV tracks, while LPCM parameter auto detection doesn't work:

Code:
eac3to input.pcm output.wavs -16 -48000 -6 -little
Do you mean these? Everything works fine with the auto detection. I've never came across a pcm files which eac3to couldn't detect correctly. This is an eac3to feature... I believe it should be explained how to use it. I'll change the description a little bit.

Last edited by nautilus7; 17th September 2008 at 15:09.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:10   #6227  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Do you mean these? Everything works fine with the auto detection. I've never came across a pcm files which eac3to couldn't detect correctly. The examples are there in case eac3to can't find the pcm parameters.
Yes those are the ones that I'm talking about. Thanks for the clarification. BTW, what is the logic behind:

eac3to input.pcm input.wavs

Does this just seperate the LPCM channels into seperate lossless wav files?
Old 17th September 2008, 15:18   #6228  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Yes those are the ones that I'm talking about. Thanks for the clarification.
I edited the examples a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
BTW, what is the logic behind:

eac3to input.pcm input.wavs

Does this just seperate the LPCM channels into seperate lossless wav files?
Yes, plus it puts them into wav container. Don't forget that pcm is a raw format, that's why you have to somehow find what are it's parameters/characteristics. Normally this info is stored into the container, but when you demux pcm it is gone. eac3to finds them by doing some tricks. Most other programs can't.

Last edited by nautilus7; 17th September 2008 at 15:23.
Old 17th September 2008, 17:26   #6229  |  Link
jeffnoone

How to get TureHD to play properly on PS3

Trying to get TrueHD track off a BlueRay disc, and then remux into BlueRay structure using tsMuxeR, then play on PS3 using the AVCHD method

Anyway I cant figure out how to get the TrueHD track to play smoothly

For example, on a BR with TrueHD track in a single m2ts, I extracted three different tracks from the TrueHD
firstly the .thd+ac3, then .thd, then .ac3

Now tsMuxeR would only accept either the .thd+ac3 or the pure .ac3

went ahead and created the BR/AVCHD structure

The .ac3 track plays perfectly using either the PS3 or a Onkyo SR606 to decode

THe PS3 is completely unable to handle the .thd+ac3 - I get silence
The Onkyo plays the .thd+ac3, but with heavy stuttering/gaps

I did the extractions using default settings

So for me anyway,I can get the TrueHD tracks out using eac3to, but I cant get them playing, at least with my equipment

Is there some setting in eac3to that I am missing?
Or is tsMuxeR up to the job?
Or are the PS3/Onkyo not up to the job

Note that the TrueHD track play perfectly (and is recognised properly) by both the PS3 and the Onkyo, if I play the original disc in the PS3

Any help appreciated
Old 17th September 2008, 20:34   #6230  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

jeffnoone: The PS3 will only play TrueHD, or DTS-MA etc if it's on a Blu-Ray. The only audio codecs really supported in containers being streamed or played off a hd is ac3 or uncompress LPCM. Which basically explains why the AC3 track worked for you.

You could convert the TrueHD track to PCM using eac3to to get it play in all it's lossles glory on the PS3, it's a bit of a waste of space but the only alternative.

I bought a Popcorn Hour A-110 because the PS3 was limited when streaming, but as it turns out the PCH A-110 doesn't work either. It might someday with firmware updates but no official word from them. (Besides actually advertising it as being supported)

Last edited by Jeff Flowerday; 17th September 2008 at 20:37.
Old 17th September 2008, 21:05   #6231  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
jeffnoone: The PS3 will only play TrueHD, or DTS-MA etc if it's on a Blu-Ray. The only audio codecs really supported in containers being streamed or played off a hd is ac3 or uncompress LPCM. Which basically explains why the AC3 track worked for you.

You could convert the TrueHD track to PCM using eac3to to get it play in all it's lossles glory on the PS3, it's a bit of a waste of space but the only alternative.

I bought a Popcorn Hour A-110 because the PS3 was limited when streaming, but as it turns out the PCH A-110 doesn't work either. It might someday with firmware updates but no official word from them. (Besides actually advertising it as being supported)

I do DTS-MA/TrueHD -> PCM all the time for my A-100 and have been for quite some time and it really doesn't even use that much space when compared to 1080p ES video, sounds perfect, and works on EVERY BluRay player. AFAIK DD+, DTS-MA and TrueHD bit streaming are working on the A-110. I am waiting for either a drop in the PS3 price or an NMT that decodes HD audio. That would be perfect and they wouldn't have to pay the BDA just Dolby/DTS which of course by itself is a lot of cash. I guy can dream..........
Old 17th September 2008, 21:29   #6232  |  Link
Jeff Flowerday

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPH0NE View Post
I do DTS-MA/TrueHD -> PCM all the time for my A-100 and have been for quite some time and it really doesn't even use that much space when compared to 1080p ES video, sounds perfect, and works on EVERY BluRay player. AFAIK DD+, DTS-MA and TrueHD bit streaming are working on the A-110. I am waiting for either a drop in the PS3 price or an NMT that decodes HD audio. That would be perfect and they wouldn't have to pay the BDA just Dolby/DTS which of course by itself is a lot of cash. I guy can dream..........
A-110:
DTS-MA is working for the most part. Certain movies seem to still have issues. DD+ isn't working at all and the only TrueHD that works is tsremuxed from the original file which forces you to leave the pulldown flag in. TrueHD rebuilt via tsmuxer won't work even if sent through tsremux afterwards.

Last edited by Jeff Flowerday; 17th September 2008 at 21:31.
Old 17th September 2008, 22:29   #6233  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Flowerday View Post
A-110:
DTS-MA is working for the most part. Certain movies seem to still have issues. DD+ isn't working at all and the only TrueHD that works is tsremuxed from the original file which forces you to leave the pulldown flag in. TrueHD rebuilt via tsmuxer won't work even if sent through tsremux afterwards.
Either you're doing something wrong or the mods over at the NMT forums are lying. Werner, has said that 7.1 DD+ from BluRay not HD-DVD is working and several others have said that TrueHD from both BluRay and HD-DVD works just fine. Either way doesn't matter for me, I'm happy with my A-100 and don't need HD audio bit streaming I need decoding.

EDIT:

I see VC-1 + TrueHD BluRay's aren't working right. I could probably fix that with Scenarist.

Anyway, sorry for the OT!

Last edited by EPiPH0NE; 17th September 2008 at 22:43.
Old 18th September 2008, 03:04   #6234  |  Link
magic144

hi all,
just come across this issue of audio gap detaction with BD discs with branching or what have you

just wondering,
if I run a cmd like
eac3to L: 1) -demux

and then it creates .gaps files and asks to rerun the same command line,

does that imply that it would be better to run a much more specific command line in the first place (i.e. audio processing/output only) to avoid having eac3to churn through the huge video stream all over again... OR... will running this same command twice do something different with the video on the second pass as well???

thanks a lot!

m
Old 18th September 2008, 03:24   #6235  |  Link
fib0by

suggestion to improve the help message

When running eac3to, it prints out these examples:

Quote:
Examples:
eac3to source.pcm destination.flac
eac3to source.thd destination.flac destination.ac3
eac3to source.evo 1: chapters.txt 2: video.mkv 3: audio.flac 5: subtitle.sup
eac3to feature_1.evo+feature_2.evo movie.mkv
eac3to blurayMovieFolder movie.mkv
This might be pointless for experienced users, but for newbies it's a bit confusing: A newbie might not even realize that this application is capable of much more than that, it's capable of listing the titles on a disk - just run it on the mount point of the disk or the "drive letter" - let's say drive E, and it will give you a list of titles, complete with durations so you can identify the main title:

Code:
ec3to E:
Also, it can offer a complete list with all the tracks (video, audio, subtitles) in a title. Just indicate which title you want - let's say title number 5, and it will give you a list will all tracks in the title:

Code:
eac3to E: 5)
Finally, it can extract video, audio and subtitles tracks, while following seamless branching if needed. Let's say the previous step indicated that the video is track #2, the audio we want is track #4, and the subtitles we want are track #8. In that case, extraction works like this:

Code:
eac3to E: 5) 2: video.mkv 4: audio.ac3 8: subtitles.sup
It takes a while to figure out these features when you're not familiar with the application. Please add some indications to the help text that these features are available.
Based on the existing help, a newbie may be led to conclude that eac3to is purely an audio extraction tool, which is far from truth.

Last edited by fib0by; 18th September 2008 at 03:24. Reason: backslash not needed
Old 18th September 2008, 07:03   #6236  |  Link
fib0by

Bug: the video track in one title is not detected correctly. See how it's initially detected for title #2 when I run eac3to on the entire disk backup, but then when I run it only on the title number 2, or only on the 00076.m2ts file, it's not detected:

Code:
C:\>eac3to E:\hd\BLAH
1) 00027.mpls, 00043.m2ts, 0:52:41
   - h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
   - AC3, English, multi-channel, 48khz

2) 00025.mpls, 00076.m2ts, 0:39:57
   - RAW/PCM, English, multi-channel, 48khz
   - AC3, English, multi-channel, 48khz
   - AC3, French, multi-channel, 48khz
   - AC3, Spanish, multi-channel, 48khz

3) 00093.mpls, 00109.m2ts, 0:24:48
   - AC3, English, stereo, 48khz

4) 00091.mpls, 00109.m2ts, 0:24:48
   - AC3, English, stereo, 48khz

C:\>eac3to E:\hd\BLAH 2)
M2TS, 4 audio tracks, 5 subtitle tracks, 0:39:57
1: Chapters, 11 chapters
2: RAW/PCM, English, 5.1 channels, 16 bits, 48khz
3: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -29dB
4: AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -28dB
5: AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -30dB
6: Subtitle (PGS), English
7: Subtitle (PGS), French
8: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
9: Subtitle (PGS), French
10: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish

C:\>eac3to E:\hd\BLAH\BDMV\STREAM\00076.m2ts
M2TS, 4 audio tracks, 5 subtitle tracks, 0:39:57
1: Chapters, 11 chapters
2: RAW/PCM, English, 5.1 channels, 16 bits, 48khz
3: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -29dB
4: AC3, French, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -28dB
5: AC3, Spanish, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -30dB
6: Subtitle (PGS), English
7: Subtitle (PGS), French
8: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
9: Subtitle (PGS), French
10: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
The 00076.m2ts file is played just fine, image and sound, by Windows Media Player.
If I open the file with tsMuxeR it detects the video track just fine. Extracting video, audio and subtitle tracks with tsMuxeR works fine.

Title 3 on the same disk is detected correctly by eac3to and I can demultiplex it just fine.
Title 1 is detected correctly. I haven't tried to demux it because I don't need it.

Let me know what do you need from me to troubleshoot it.
Old 18th September 2008, 07:48   #6237  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic144 View Post
does that imply that it would be better to run a much more specific command line in the first place (i.e. audio processing/output only) to avoid having eac3to churn through the huge video stream all over again... OR... will running this same command twice do something different with the video on the second pass as well???
If no gaps are reported for the video then eac3to doesn't do anything different with the video in the 2nd pass. So you could use a more specific command line to redo only the audio tracks with gaps in them. But honestly all you're saving is a few minutes worth of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fib0by View Post
Bug: the video track in one title is not detected correctly.

[...]

Let me know what do you need from me to troubleshoot it.
It would be very nice to get a sample of 76.m2ts (first 50MB, if possible). But before you upload that, please check whether you can reproduce the problem with the 50MB sample. Thanks!!
Old 18th September 2008, 07:59   #6238  |  Link
magic144

thanks madshi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
So you could use a more specific command line to redo only the audio tracks with gaps in them. But honestly all you're saving is a few minutes worth of time.
and presumably several GB of repeated and unnecessary disk I/O?

who knows how much we want to thrash HDDs these days... since they're now 1Tb big, raking them might upset all the eggs I have in this 1 basket :-)

so you're also saying that sometimes there are video gaps that are tidied up in a subsequent pass too... (if so reported)? I did not know that, if that is also the case
Old 18th September 2008, 08:28   #6239  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic144 View Post
so you're also saying that sometimes there are video gaps that are tidied up in a subsequent pass too... (if so reported)?
Aparrently I did. It's extremely rare, though, at least with Blu-Ray and HD DVD.
Old 18th September 2008, 08:45   #6240  |  Link
magic144

okydoke - thanks very much for the feedback, and the excellent software :-)
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to