Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 28th August 2006, 18:16   #1  |  Link
PipeHitter

VHS Capture rig advice....

Greets.

After reviewing the info available on this site and others I'm fairly convinced of the advantages of using a S-VHS to capture with (TBC, and other corrective advantages).

However, the older JVC SVHS are the way of the dodo bird and I can't even find a used one on ebay.

I noticed the Canopus ADVC300 has a slew of corrective features:

"ADVC300 employs advanced 3D Y/C separation, 3D noise reduction and Line Time Base Correction (LTBC) functions for perfect frame synchronization. Poor analog source video is filtered and stabilized prior to DV conversion. ADVC300 is also ideal for “cleaning” old analog video and output back to analog tape."

Seems like it would be easier for me just to spend a little more money on the ADVC300 than the 110 and then I don't need to worry on finding a SVHS.

Thoughts? TIA
PipeHitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 01:20   #2  |  Link
rfmmars

No they are not the same. Alot more is going on in the Pro JVCs.

I find them all the time on E-Bay.

Richard
photorecall.net
rfmmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 14:07   #3  |  Link
Don James

It looks like only the JVC SR-V10U is still available new, and I'm not sure of that, the second link below says Abe's of Maine has one for $200. If that's true, I'd snap that one up. JVC does have a new one the SR-V101 which has a TBC, not sure of noise reduction. Probably, but I'd research before buying. Those are $425 new from JVC but you could pick one up for less than $300 somewhere else. I bought a used S7600U which is a fabulous machine, got on ebay for $200, used of course, but in perfect condition.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/p...&feature_id=04
http://www.epinions.com/pr-JVC_SR-V10U_VCR

Here is a page that lists the good JVC SVHS machines

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/...e/playback.htm

Last edited by Don James; 29th August 2006 at 14:10.
Don James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 12:43   #4  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

You don't want any noise reduction. That stuff belongs to Avisynth
Old 31st August 2006, 04:26   #5  |  Link
PipeHitter

Thanks for the replies guys.

rfmmars: I take from your reply that using a SVHS w/ TBC is of better quality than the ADVS300's TBC, right?

Don James: Thanks for the links. Wish I could find one on ebay like you did, but alas no luck. rfmmars mentioned getting a pro model but I worry they may be a little too complicated for what I need. Also worried about hours.
PipeHitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 04:33   #6  |  Link
kururu

I seem to recall Panasonics being recommended. I've got a consumer Panasonic SVHS that's blah quality, but I've worked with a prosumer Panasonic SVHS and a HD-CAM SR deck and was pleased.

----

you should also look into the feature of Avisynth that lets you take multiple analog captures and average out the noise. I've gotten nice results but it takes a lot more time and space.
kururu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 04:40   #7  |  Link
Darksoul71
Can you blush ?

@PipeHitter:
There another thing I would like to add:
You can capture even the oldest VHS tapes with screwed up sync without any TBC (be it in the VCR or the capturedevice) when you use VirtualDub for capturing and crop a vertical part of the image.

I own a Canopus ADVC100, a Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 and a Terratec Cinergy 400 (Philips-Chip based TV Card). When it comes to capturing very old VHS tape (may be even 2nd or 3rd generation copies) the Cinergy (as well as other analogue TV cards without dedicated hardware encoder) is still "King of the hill".

I simply crop 16 Pixels on top as well on the bottom (which I add afterwards via letterbox) and everything goes fine.
Darksoul71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 18:43   #8  |  Link
Don James

VHS Capture rig advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeHitter
Thanks for the replies guys.

rfmmars: I take from your reply that using a SVHS w/ TBC is of better quality than the ADVS300's TBC, right?

Don James: Thanks for the links. Wish I could find one on ebay like you did, but alas no luck. rfmmars mentioned getting a pro model but I worry they may be a little too complicated for what I need. Also worried about hours.
PipeHitter, I have two hardware TBCs, one in my VCR and a standalone TBC. And together, they do a fabulous job. You could find one on ebay but it will take committment, just look several times a day. The buy it now ones will get snapped up quickly. Just look for the JVCs on the link I gave you. There's one now for auction, a S9600U, but the seller says it hasn't been tested and is sold "as is". So I'd recommend on not bidding on that one. You want one tested and you want a power seller with 100% feedback if possible, one who gaurantees it will work as advertised. I bought another one, an S9800U from the same seller I bought my 7600 from and it had image problems, not that it didn't think it looked good, haha, because it looked good, REALLY good, but that it had black horizontal lines every now and then in the image. I returned it.
Old 31st August 2006, 21:13   #9  |  Link
Don James

Used JVC HR-S9911U on Amazon.com

$400

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...ef=olp_tab_use ... ition=used

This was JVC's last of this kind of VCR.

JVC's page on this unit:

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...35&pathId=49&a ... chive=true
Old 1st September 2006, 03:35   #10  |  Link
Revgen

Mine works great. Too bad consumer models aren't being sold much anymore.

Curly: Burned at the stake!

Moe: Why?

Curly: A hot steak is always better than a cold chop.
Revgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 20:52   #11  |  Link
Don James

Used JVC HR-S9911U on Amazon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revgen
Mine works great. Too bad consumer models aren't being sold much anymore.
I wrote JVC and told them about it, for all the good it will do, but you never know. One thing I should have said is you really want to be sure you can get a refund on a used VCR like that. Just in case it's not "perfect". Today I found out that sometimes having two TBCs (one in my VCR and a stand alone) is one two many. I was capturing two old tapes and one had jitter that stopped when I turned off my VCR TBC and the other had tearing at the top which also stopped when I turned off the VCR TBC. I left the standalone working.
Old 5th September 2006, 13:18   #12  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

I've merged the used JVC thread into this one, since they are really the same discussion.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 20:29   #13  |  Link
Darksoul71
Can you blush ?

Hm, I´m not shure wether this was understandable from my last posting but by cropping the height of the captured video on the fly (using VDub) you can easily skip a TBC and get the same effect.

At least I´ve been able to capture some very old second or even third generation copies of my VHS tapes without dropped frames or a very acceptable number of dropped frames.
Darksoul71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 20:57   #14  |  Link
Don James

VHS Capture rig advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksoul71
Hm, I´m not shure wether this was understandable from my last posting but by cropping the height of the captured video on the fly (using VDub) you can easily skip a TBC and get the same effect.

At least I´ve been able to capture some very old second or even third generation copies of my VHS tapes without dropped frames or a very acceptable number of dropped frames.
The TBC helps stop motion in the image. Side to side and up and down motion, And waviness of vertical lines, where it looks like the image is underwater. I had an experience last weekend where the TBC CAUSED problems, it caused up and down movement and tearing at the top of the image. Both of those cleared up when I turned the TBCs off. Each old video has it's own unique abberrations
Old 15th April 2012, 16:48   #15  |  Link
satmonk

Just want to say: the newer JVC Videorecorder Series (HR-S5800/HR-S9600/9700/DVS1...) give out bad quality.

Much better Quality you can get from ITT VR3995 (very similar to JVC's HR-D75x Series) and Sony SLV-825/835 (not 815/777/715!)

The newer is not the better! I testet a lot of VCR's, there are big differences.

The worst is Mitsubishi HS-M1000 and newer Philips/Grundig VCR's
satmonk is offline   Reply With Quote