Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 19th June 2005, 19:56   #21  |  Link
JoeBG
stupid

@ doom9

The new look is very sexy Is this the last layout?

Joe
------------------------
freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose
Old 19th June 2005, 21:03   #22  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Is this the last layout?
Not really.. with zones coming (I'm currently testing the most evil scenarios and try to make it crash), the x264 config dialog will look differently, so do the settings. Then as you can see from the development forum, there will be new dialogs in the future, along with a restructured dgindex project creator, a chapter creator, etc. And of course the codec dialog screens can be changed at any time (new features, make things more userfriendly, etc... but this is the same with VfW codecs).

I know why you're asking though and I'd say it's safe to start with the guide now. The big changes have been done. If you use the latest release you should be okay.
Old 19th June 2005, 21:05   #23  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

If it's 13MB, could you just upload the entire thing or are you on a 56k connection? Either way with a working sample (that crashes on your box) or the entire thing I'll try my best to figure out what's causing this. It seems to happen on rare occasion on other's people's PCs but most users seem to never encounter this. Perhaps the tools that can read this script don't use AVIFile but DirectShow (media players), or custom readers (VDub I think).

Just a thought, do you have a YV12 codec installed? I suppose you do but perhaps it's only registered for DShow?
Old 19th June 2005, 21:35   #24  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

A new version is out.

A word of warning: due to the format of xvid zones (they have no end frame but end just before the start of the next zone (and if there's none at the end of the video), so do not use the intro credits feature with xvid just yet (if you do, you'll end up encoding the entire video at the credits quantizer because the zone will extend from the first frame till the last (or till the end credits start, but since the end credits extend till the end and use the same quantizer it comes down to the same)).

Once the zone feature has been thoroughly tested I will add it to the remaining codecs and in the process take care of the special zone format used in XviD.
Old 19th June 2005, 21:37   #25  |  Link
Rash

Fine Doom9, I just don't have a place to upload it right now. I could open a ftp on my PC for you to download. Unfortunately I have problems with time. So now it is 17:30 here. By midnight I'll have to shut down my computer, so we have about 6 hours to do it, right?

Check your PM Inbox.
Old 19th June 2005, 22:13   #26  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I got the file. Created a dgindex project from it (using version 1.2.1 final), then loaded the d2v into megui's avisynth script creator (I'm afraid the dgindex project creator requies DVD Decrypter ripped input for now) which created a script for me and auto-loaded that script. Everything worked out just fine. So it's not so much the code as AVIFile failing on your PC. What kind of YV12 decoder do you have installed (open your AviSynth script in Graphedit)?

BTW, here's my script:
mpeg2source("D:\test.d2v")
LanczosResize(640,352)

dgindex.dll is located directly in the MeGUI directory (but that should only be required for the avisynth script creator) and in my avisynth autoload plugin directory.
Old 20th June 2005, 00:33   #27  |  Link
Rash

Oh, so I copied DGdecode.dll to MeGUI's directory and successfully created an avs!

But the error loading the AVS is still the same. I'm not sure about the YV12 decoder you asked me. Graphedit only shows 3 boxes. The avs one, linked to ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder then linked to VMR Video Renderer.

Well, ffdshow wan't supposed to be there, am I right? I use it because I check "Uncompressed" on ffdshow Codecs options. I like ffdshow's processing so I use it with all videos.

I'll disable ffdshow and see what happens. Thanks a lot for your help Doom.
Old 20th June 2005, 06:36   #28  |  Link
Maximus_G

That's strange, but... how do you manage to "Autoencode" with x264.exe? Coz when i create the jobs using this button, press "start", a progress window opens... and nothing happens! x264.exe is present in the process list, it seems to work, but there's no progress seen, and the process doesn't stop, though i'm waiting long enough. At the same time - if i copy the command-line from MeGUI log window, and start it from the command-line window - it works well... I just don't get it.
Old 20th June 2005, 07:38   #29  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@Maximus_G: your description sounds like you're not doing things right. I don't know what you're doing.. you're refering to some ominous button that I do not know for starters, and the process of auto encoding works like that on my box: configure video, configure audio, press auto-encode, configure output, configure output size, press queue. Then depending on your settings (from the settings dialog, Control-S in the main gui), encoding either starts (autoqueue and no other job is currently running), or it doesn't.

The log is auto-saved.. what do you get after the commandline? And what happens if you close MeGUI, re-open it, double click on the job that is in processing state, then press start? And is x264.exe running when you do that (check in the task manager) .And what is your setup (audio tracks, output format).. all those things are crucial to know. I have personally tested auto-mode with x264.exe (and mencoder) using no, 1 mp4 or 1 ac3 audio track input (so with and without audio encoding and muxing), and with and without using additional subtitle streams, chapters and assigning track languages. The only possible problem I ran into is mp4box not wanting to complete its job due to incorrect subtitle or chapter files.. but that is signalled as an error in the log and it only affects the muxing step, not the encoding one.

@Rash: when I open the avs described above (from your source), I also have 3 boxed, but I have the Moonlight Color Space converter in the middle. Obviously this stems from me having the Moonlight AVC encoder installed so I'll check on a PC where I don't have it installed (but ffdshow is on all my PCs) and see what I get.
Old 20th June 2005, 08:10   #30  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@Rash: Alright, I finally managed to properly play an AviSynth script on my work PC. Rendering the script in Graphedit yields the following Graph, which I believe to be the standard (it rings a bell seeing it.. unlike the Moonlight one, this one looks very familiar).

AviSynth Video -> AVI Decompressor -> Color Space Converter -> Video Renderer. Both filters in the middle are standard Windows filters, filename is quartz.dll. I guess they'll also do the decoding in MeGUI.

I also tried setting ffdshow to not decode AviSynth (no change), then enable support for all supported raw output (no change), changing it to decode raw YV12 (now I have the same graph as you have), but in all cases MeGUI still opened the video.
Old 20th June 2005, 20:31   #31  |  Link
thed33p

I did a quick encode with MeGUI 0.1.9.6 and it's working like a charm! 3 zones together with cropping - no problem.

Audio wasn't encoded but I'm sure that was something I overlooked. (will post if it wasn't )

Thanks Doom9, Berrinam, xtknight (hope I didn't miss anyone)
Old 20th June 2005, 21:02   #32  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

if using x246.exe and not mecoder, is it normal that there is no progressing in the status window while encoding? (jobs always finished fine later). With mencoder there is a progressing display...
Old 20th June 2005, 21:05   #33  |  Link
thed33p

I used X264 and the status window worked just fine....
Old 20th June 2005, 21:37   #34  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

the new version is out.
@Rash: I'll try stax' code to open video in the next release.. perhaps that'll change anything for you. But the problem isn't so much my fault as a generic incompatibility with that method and some part of your setup.

Quote:
if using x246.exe and not mecoder, is it normal that there is no progressing in the status window while encoding?
I would've never released it if I didn't have a progress bar.. the first x264 supporting version already had one and x264.exe is one feature I test in each release.
Old 20th June 2005, 21:41   #35  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

by the way, there are two things I forgot:

0.1.9.6 also has a context menu in the video player allowing you to go to the intro end, credits start, and zone start/end (if applicable). And thanks to xtknight for helping out with the mp4 muxer progress bar.. he created a working muxer where I could take certain ideas from to finally get it working.
Old 20th June 2005, 22:28   #36  |  Link
Ariakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt
if using x246.exe and not mecoder, is it normal that there is no progressing in the status window while encoding? (jobs always finished fine later). With mencoder there is a progressing display...
I got the same problem, and I believe I know the problem... here's my job log:

Code:
Next job job1-1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"C:\Program Files\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 256 --stats "2pass.log" --keyint 300 --min-keyint 30 --ref 2 --bframes 2 --b-pyramid --subme 3 --weightb --analyse i4x4,p4x4,i8x8 --qpmin 1 --qpstep 50:--progress --no-psnr --output NUL "C:\Joe\VOB\Damien Rice\Damien Rice.avs"
I think what breaks it is: --qpstep 50:--progress
Any idea why this is happening?

Edit:
Also, on this pass I had specified a --cqm "flat" flag in the Custom Commandline Options, and it didn't show up. Is this being process correctly?

Edit2:
Okay, after further testing: for me, specifying a different quantizer delta messes up the commandline, as shown above. Also, when that bug isn't in effect, MeGUI still seems to ignore the additional custom commandline options. (This is all with 0.1.9.7)

Last edited by Ariakis; 20th June 2005 at 22:54.
Old 20th June 2005, 22:38   #37  |  Link
lazyn00b

Using MeGUI 0.1.9.7, I can't get the Adaptive B-frames setting to stay enabled in the config dialog. For example, if I set B-frames to 2 and click on Adaptive, then hit OK, then hit Config again, the Adaptive box is cleared! I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is a bug. Also, creating a new profile from within the config dialog will cause the Adaptive setting to be instantly cleared as well.
Old 20th June 2005, 22:42   #38  |  Link
falcon2000eg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt
Same problem with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakis
Edit2:
Okay, after further testing: for me, specifying a different quantizer delta messes up the commandline, as shown above. Also, when that bug isn't in effect, MeGUI still seems to ignore the additional custom commandline options. (This is all with 0.1.9.7)
that is it

Last edited by falcon2000eg; 20th June 2005 at 23:42.
Old 20th June 2005, 22:51   #39  |  Link
odyn1982

I've got the same problem: no progress in the status window while encoding with x264.exe.
Old 20th June 2005, 23:18   #40  |  Link
Maximus_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
@Maximus_G: your description sounds like you're not doing things right.
OK, i'll make a thorough description later.
For now, i've found a nasty thingy.
If you set "I8x8" in the "Macroblock options", the "Adaptive DCT" checkbox is checked automatically, because it's required to use with the i8x8. BUT MeGUI doesn't add the "-8" ("--8x8dct") parameter to the command-line. So, i8x8 isn't used at all. Which can be seen in the x264 encoding statistics.

And - I've got the same problem: no progress in the status window while encoding with x264.exe.
Closed Thread