Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th December 2012, 01:49   #1  |  Link
birdy

Good player to get maximum out of high end gpu and system

I was wondering if you have the latest high end gpu and system what player would you choose to get the best from your hardware for watching hd videos? this can be free or paid one.
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 01:56   #2  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm
Quote:
Do not ask "what's best" because this question cannot be answered

try them all and pick your favorite?
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 03:40   #3  |  Link
birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm

try them all and pick your favorite?
Well maybe I asked my question in a wrong way. What I need to know is what players can take most advantage from hardware. For example I was advised to use coreavc codec. Someone told me that coreavc is used for slower or older hardware to be able to play hd content. Anyway I don't mind getting a list or few names.
I just want to know what direction should I go for getting max from the hardware. Maybe even some tweak and customization in my player would make things much better. I use mpc HC and VLC most of the time.
Old 14th December 2012, 03:50   #4  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

I rest my case that the player itself is up to your choice(the minimalist MPC-HC, the complicated but very powerful ZoomPlayer/PotPlayer/KMPlayer and prolly several others) but madVR and Reclock will surely be solid assets for a stunning experience

lavfilters are also true rockers if you have a nvidia board!

Last edited by leeperry; 14th December 2012 at 04:25.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 04:01   #5  |  Link
Milardo

If choosing a directshow based player like kmplayer or mpc-hc or zoomplayer or potplayer or any others, I'd recommend also using lavfilters and ffdshow to decode some formats. Also, since you have high end hardware, don't forgot to use svp. It's really quite cool.

http://www.svp-team.com/
Milardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 07:23   #6  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

The player itself is just a box. What you want is perfect rendering: video and audio.
For sound JRiver bits any other player: any source, bitstream or unpacked, WASAPI or ASIO (with proper support to USB async DACs).
There are 2 conceptions of video rendering: protected YCbCr or RGB. So you have to try them both to check what your display prefers and make your pick. For YCbCr best player is ArcSoft TMT, and for RGB best player is JRiver (meaning that JRiver is also the best one in audio rendering). Keep in mind that ArcSoft TMT is not that flexible to the sources and prefers BD and DVD. So, your best option to try is JRiver.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 14:27   #7  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milardo View Post
If choosing a directshow based player like kmplayer or mpc-hc or zoomplayer or potplayer or any others, I'd recommend also using lavfilters and ffdshow to decode some formats. Also, since you have high end hardware, don't forgot to use svp. It's really quite cool.

http://www.svp-team.com/
SVP will be fun. I'd recommend it, but my CPU isn't strong enough to take advantage of it. (older dual core i5)
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 21:55   #8  |  Link
Asmodian

I run on a decent system, i7 3770K @ 4.5Ghz and a Nvidia GTX 680.

I like using Zoom Player with LAVfilters, MadVR, and Reclock. Zoom Player is nice because it can download and install the filters it wants to use via its Install Center. It also has all the options I could want (and lots more).

Using Jinc resize in MadVR looks great and takes a decent GPU. I just use software decoding in LAV filters because with a strong cpu I have found it to be the most trouble free. The only exception is VC1, which works better using CUVID decoding.

I don't really like SVP myself. Native high frame rate content is nice but I don't feel the need to make up extra frames.

Last edited by Asmodian; 14th December 2012 at 21:59.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 00:53   #9  |  Link
dansrfe

Window 7 Tweak Tool (to remove all MS filter preferences and MediaFoundation stuff), LAV Filters x86, madVR, MPC-HC x86, ReClock. That's what I use and it's the best that I've done for my system in my opinion.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 02:46   #10  |  Link
birdy

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts guys. I have learned so much here and still get lot of precious info
Old 15th December 2012, 02:59   #11  |  Link
naoan

Any lightweight media player that support external filter load (for ffdshow avisynth pp, reclock, splitter etc) and madvr will do for me. The rest is subjective (UI, special need like remote control support, gapless playback, SVP, etc).
naoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 03:52   #12  |  Link
birdy

Reporting back:

I just tried SVP and also madVR. SVP is playing back my 9gig mkv movie at 60fps and its just so smooth and good looking!
I just can't believe my eyes! I am so happy I finally asked this question. My cpu usage at highest setting is around 50% and
gpu around 40.
Madvr using about 6 to 9% gpu and almost same cpu amount! but quality is still much much better then what I had with vlc
I use mpc hc to play my files. apparently the 64bit version is not working so using mpc 32bit.
Old 15th December 2012, 07:40   #13  |  Link
InEvX

Probably a huge noob question.. but I installed SVP and it just keeps showing "waiting for ffdshow video".

I'm using MPC-HC with the settings on imouto website...

Can someone please tell me what do I have to do, to make SVP work for me?
InEvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 11:32   #14  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Go MPC - External - Add - ffdshow video decoder
Old 15th December 2012, 21:13   #15  |  Link
InEvX

I don't get it :(

I did..

Anything else I have to do? SVP manager keeps stating "waiting for ffdshow video"...

Old 15th December 2012, 21:24   #16  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Move it to the top of the list. Or better set LAV video to block.
Old 15th December 2012, 21:55   #17  |  Link
InEvX

I tried both... I've disabled everything except FFDshow and still it won't kick in.
I moved it to the top of the list. Still nothing.
I disabled Lav Video, still nothing...

I'm losing my mind ='(
Old 15th December 2012, 23:46   #18  |  Link
DGMurdockIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy View Post
I was wondering if you have the latest high end gpu and system what player would you choose to get the best from your hardware for watching hd videos? this can be free or paid one.
take a look at splash player
http://mirillis.com/en/products/splash.html
DGMurdockIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 01:22   #19  |  Link
naoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEvX View Post
I did..

Anything else I have to do? SVP manager keeps stating "waiting for ffdshow video"...

Try blocking ffdshow instead, newest svp doesn't use it iirc (it feed avs file instead).
naoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 09:09   #20  |  Link
InEvX

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoan View Post
Try blocking ffdshow instead, newest svp doesn't use it iirc (it feed avs file instead).
I blocked ffdshow too.. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I tried blocking, permitting, different orders.. etc.

Nothing works with my MPC-HC. Quite unfortunate