Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old Yesterday, 19:48   #51501  |  Link
huhn

because a screen cost 400 bucks doesn't mean it can't be calibrated "perfectly".

if take a mastering display a cheap 400 buck calibrate them and put a out of the box 3k bucks TV next to them you have one that looks like garbage guess which one.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:08   #51502  |  Link
starlight2

If i want Watch film 4k in the Fullhd with downscaling madvr...this is possible?this is best quality vs 1080p materials to display fhd? Thank you
starlight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:12   #51503  |  Link
huhn

depends on the content but potential yes.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:03   #51504  |  Link
giulianoprs

I did not want to open a discussion for the "grain" that a certain film or TV series may have, I chose "the walking dead" just because in the registration phase there, I wanted to test the potential of madvr with determined situations, and thank all for the recommended advice and settings, unfortunately today the pc indeed windows 10 if blocked, no longer starts, that bad luck, I have to format and install all the software from the beginning, Ugh!
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:26   #51505  |  Link
Redemption80

Processing the grain out of remaster of old films is something that happens, but it usually gets met with so much abuse and one star rating for the BluRay etc... that it tends to put studios off too much tinkering. It still happens though.

I don't mind grain if it's not excessive but i will always favour a film source over a digital video source unless it's a sporting even.
I have even added it via post processing when dealing with lower quality sources as it helps hide other artefacts and creates the the illusion of more detail. I don't think that is the case with Walking Dead, i don't know about now, but to start with the show was filmed on 16mm film, which will always be grainy.

Anyway, that is not why i came her to post, and it's more of a question for Nvidia users.
is it just me, or does anyone else think we will be stuck with 390.77 forever.

I'm not much of a gamer these days, but i'm still considering going back to dual booting and creating a gaming and HTPC partition.

Last edited by Redemption80; Yesterday at 22:31.
Redemption80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:31   #51506  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
Only is if the grain is the result of the director's intent.
Even if it wasn't, the grain can't be removed without impacting actual detail. One just has to look at the plasticky, waxy-faced Blu-rays that have been DNRed to see this. Or just watch the Terminator 2 Ultra-HD Blu-ray. It just looks like a waxy mess.
Old Yesterday, 23:03   #51507  |  Link
JarrettH

Grain *is* the picture
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:09   #51508  |  Link
ryrynz

Time to reign in the main topic boys.
ryrynz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling