Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 13th February 2006, 05:07   #341  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

I'm not that familiar with it myself. SubRip just uses 2 commands, depending on whether the movie is an .avi or another type. If it's anything but .avi, it'll open it using AviSynth DirectShow interface. Look in the SubRip directory for the file named temp.avs, that's what SubRip writes commands into and loads.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 17:40   #342  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

@ai4spam ::

Hi...

I've got a question for development : do you know a way to convert bmp files ? I mean to change the colors (I've seen graphics unit but...) and especially to have the alpha channel ?

[edit]: hihi, I found something...

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 14th February 2006 at 23:49.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 02:36   #343  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

There should be a ton of components on torry.net that support transparency and conversions.
Old 18th February 2006, 20:05   #344  |  Link
Zerryk

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or there is an error... It seems that it can not open MicroDVD .sub format. Only .srt seems to be working, I didnt test it for other formats.

Steps to reproduce:
- make a clean install of 1.50b3 into a new directory
- run subrip.exe
- show subtitles text window
- create simple test.sub file like that:
{1}{10}aaa
{11}{20}bbb

or take any other correct MDVD .sub subtitles.
- open it in the text window, via drag'n'drop or via File-Open
- an error dialog appears:
Warning
Error in file at Subtitle Nr.1
Ignore and Continue?
[Cancel] [Ignore] [Yes to all]
- None of the buttons helps.

It also does the same error in 1.40 version. In 1.30, there is no such bug, all works perfectly.

--------------------
And some idea for opening and saving the text files: When subs contains some non-7bit characters, the asking for the charset when opening, also when saving, and the warning dialog "Subtitle contains non-standard characters, save as Unicode?" is a bit annoying. In most (nearly all) cases, I'm working with one language only so I dont need always to watch and confirm these settings. I think it would be beter to:
- make these confirmations optional
- duplicate the charset setup somewhere in program options
- remember it for next program run
Zerryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 00:35   #345  |  Link
prubin

Subrip sometimes takes characters apart?

Hello, I have been a very happy SubRip user for some time, and while the OCR works great with most .idx or .sub files, every once in a while I come across one that has a few lines in which SubRip seems to want to pick apart each letter in the whole line. For instance it will take a simple word, like 'problem', and break each of the seven letters into two or three pieces. Typically this problem continues until the line is complete, and then the next lines it recognizes fine, until the next problem line.

Needless to say, the problem lines are recognized as gibberish, and I have to go back and extract the sub pictures as .bmp's to manually do the conversion.

Any ideas?
prubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 04:57   #346  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@Zerrik: I'll look into it.
@prubin: It probably has to do with the wrong colors being assigned (heuristics sometimes fail). Try to assign them manually ("Change colors" button).
Old 22nd February 2006, 10:41   #347  |  Link
prubin

Thank you for your reply. I'm working with one now that has white characters on a black ground. I don't think changing colors would do anything. Let me know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4spam
@Zerrik: I'll look into it.
@prubin: It probably has to do with the wrong colors being assigned (heuristics sometimes fail). Try to assign them manually ("Change colors" button).
Old 22nd February 2006, 16:10   #348  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, try changing the colors anyway, see what it does, if anything. The colors you actually see may have very little meaning (for example, the outline color may look the same as the text color). Oh, and use the Extend Left and Extend Right buttons to bring together "disjoint" characters as a last resort.
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:25   #349  |  Link
prubin

Thank you. I did as the 'Change Colors' box suggested: "leave background and all outlines unchecked. This setting will verride the built-in autodetection." and amazingly, it worked! No split characters, and no garbling. Thanks for the tip!

I don't see the 'Extend Left' and 'Extend Right' buttons; where are they?

Quote:
Well, try changing the colors anyway, see what it does, if anything. The colors you actually see may have very little meaning (for example, the outline color may look the same as the text color). Oh, and use the Extend Left and Extend Right buttons to bring together "disjoint" characters as a last resort.
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:48   #350  |  Link
zyrill

I OCRed some vobs and when I select to save the Subtitles, the resulting file is empty except for a lot of empty lines. :s Tried selecting different Codepages, to no avail.
zyrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 22:08   #351  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@prubin: They're the ">>" and "<<" buttons . You can also use Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right.
@zyrill: Are you using the latest version? What format are you saving in? Does the text show up in the text window?
Old 24th February 2006, 01:06   #352  |  Link
prubin

Thanks again for your kind reply. Aha, I see the ">>" and "<<" buttons now.....

I am using the very latest 1.50 b3.

I'm saving in .srt format.

And the text does show up, and OCR worked well when I deselected two of the colors (background and outline).

A new question: sometimes when I deselect a couple of colors, I get an Error box, "You have to check 1 or 2 colors!", even though I still have two colors selected. And then I'll re-select the colors, so all four colors are selected, and I still get the same Error box. I don't understand!

Plus, how do you actually change the colors in the four boxes that come up??? I have four boxes, Black, White, Red, and Blue, but they are not labeled as to what they stand for, nor can a change the colors. I can only select or deselect the checkboxes.....

Quote:
@prubin: They're the ">>" and "<<" buttons . You can also use Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right.
@zyrill: Are you using the latest version? What format are you saving in? Does the text show up in the text window?
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2006, 02:45   #353  |  Link
zyrill

ai4spam: using the latest version... text did show up in text window as well! don't know what went wrong - my best guess is the program hickuped when i tried to change codepage to unicode... i tried reading from .vobs-files. the enxt time i tried i just hit save and didn't change the codepage and it worked...
zyrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2006, 05:26   #354  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@prubin: Those error messages are old, I never understood them myself, but I never changed them either, afraid not to break something. And... I don't think you can change the colors (click on the big squares, maybe), you can only see the effects of checking them off.
@zyrill: That's something a couple of users have reported since I switched to full formatting the text inside the subtitle window. I can't reproduce it myself. Try using some other text format (MicroDVD .sub, maybe).
Old 28th February 2006, 16:44   #355  |  Link
JnZ

Tryi'n to open MicroDVD subtitles in SubRip 1.50b3 and 've got this error:

Warning
Error in file at Subtitle Nr. 1
Ignore and Continue?

Subtitles, I'm try to open are standard MicroDVD subs.
{Frame}{Frame}1st line text|2nd line text

J.
Old 28th February 2006, 21:41   #356  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@JnZ: Zerrik posted earlier with the same problem. I'll look into it when I get the time. Until then... use something else to convert to .srt
Old 2nd March 2006, 02:16   #357  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@JnZ and Zerrik: Add DivxG400 info tags at the beginning, like this:

{1}{1}23.976

A fix is on the way in a new version.

Last edited by ai4spam; 2nd March 2006 at 06:00.
Old 5th March 2006, 02:28   #358  |  Link
Esc

Hi ai4spam! Haven't seen new releases from you for a while. Are you working on ssa/ass positions support?

Here is a bug that I have just found.
I was ripping subtitles and there was that french e with stuff on top of it in the word "cafe". I picked it up in that new little char map. That was great. Now I am splitting and saving it in parts. SubRip says there are non-standard symbols so why wouldn't I save it as unicode. Wow, that's great too. I say, go ahead, and it does save this part as unicode file that works fine later. But when I save the next part (that does not contain any non-standard symbols now) I get an empty file. It has all the rows (1435 to be precise) but every row is empty, only CRLF. The file is 2868 bytes (I guess, that's 1434 CRLF's and 1 EOF).

Looks like if it recognizes the text as ANSI you cannot save it as Unicode. I hope, you can reproduce that one easily.
Esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2006, 05:50   #359  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, due to personal reasons (working on my thesis and a new girlfriend), I didn't have much time for SubRip lately. I'll eventually find time, spring break is just around the corner.

Thanks for the bug report, I'll look into it. The new version of SubRip will save the subs both as ANSI and as UniCode, without asking. Hopefully, this will encourage other apps to support UniCode soon.
Old 9th March 2006, 20:31   #360  |  Link
sharingan

I am curious, but does SubRip support positioned subtitles or not? I have seen some discussions here about it, and the .srt format examples show x and y co-ordinates for it, but I don't know how to enable the option in SubRip.

More accurately, the source DVDs have positioned subtitles (anime dvds with english text over japanese asian characters in the video). Yet when I use SubRip, these positioned subtitles have no co-ordinate informaiton in the srt file.

Is there a way to enable this, or is it only available with certain extraction methods (I always open IFOs&VOBs directly, rather than IDX+Vobsub). Or do I need to use a different srt extraction tool?
sharingan is offline   Reply With Quote