Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2016, 14:13   #36201  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Jinc AR looks similar to Catmull-Rom with 4K to 1080, it's a little more natural I feel, it's a good downscaler it just suffers from the same softening effect that SSIM overcomes.
Then probably SSIM 2D is the right one for you. It's more or less a combination of Jinc + SSIM.

Quote:
Is linear light recommended with downscaling generally? It certainly pumps up whites, I notice black text on white backgrounds seems to suffer some fading.. probably a bit hit and miss.
It should produce the most accurate results, so I generally recommend turning it on.

-------

nevcairiel just released a new nightly LAV build with:

Direct Blu-Ray 3D playback support

Currently limited to only support playing SSIF files directly. See his post here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...66#post1757466
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 14:27   #36202  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Look at the ends of the crates..
True, but they often look too aliased to me with SSIM.
I feel the same regarding the windmill picture, looks like every pixel is to represent a different brick or so.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 14:29   #36203  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Then probably SSIM 2D is the right one for you. It's more or less a combination of Jinc + SSIM.

It should produce the most accurate results, so I generally recommend turning it on.

-------

nevcairiel just released a new nightly LAV build with:

Direct Blu-Ray 3D playback support

Currently limited to only support playing SSIF files directly. See his post here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...66#post1757466
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 15:49   #36204  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
I've linked the original image. Look at it in original resolution and then look again at the downscaled images. Bicubic drops a lot of details which are visible in the SSIM image. SSIM is not a simple sharpener. It measures the detail level in the original image and tries to reproduce it properly (for human perception) in the downscaled image. SSIM is supposed to reproduce exactly the image we would see with our eyes, if we just put some distance between us and the object we're looking at. Of course SSIM is limited by the number of pixels and the aliasing the lower number is causing. But other than that, the sharpness produced by SSIM should be fairly accurate.

I've always been rather unhappy with how soft downscaled images got and thought they should really look sharper.
Fair enough but even your original image seen as 1:1 on a 1080p display has been very obviously sharpened, again windmills and boats in Holland don't look all that plasticky and edge enhanced.

A more valid comparison would be using a natural looking picture and see whether it still looks natural and detailed after being downscaled but I just spent 15 mins on google and it's pretty hard to find a pristine looking 4K picture.....mostly because it would appear that the higher you crank the megapixels count the noisier sensors inevitably get to some extent(much like audio that mostly captures stray noise >88.2kHz from what Dan Lavry said) and even the nerdiests who go RAW and postprocess in pshop sadly don't have mVR at their disposal. It's rather unfunny how picture viewers/editors look terribly dated compared to mVR. Would need to use 4K demos screenshots I think.

Last edited by leeperry; 16th February 2016 at 15:54.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 18:34   #36205  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Ah, I see. SSIM currently requires both X and Y to be downscaled (or at least not upscaled). In your case one direction needs upscaling, the other downscaling. In that case SSIM doesn't work. Well, I suppose I could force image doubling in such a way that both X and Y are doubled the same number of times so that SSIM can be used afterwards. But to be honest, I don't think for downscaling after doubling SSIM has much benefit over Bicubic150.
I see. One more question, why super-xbr always scale X and Y the same? Is it limitation? https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhtb9wguc7nrfdm/xbr.png
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 18:39   #36206  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Fair enough but even your original image seen as 1:1 on a 1080p display has been very obviously sharpened, again windmills and boats in Holland don't look all that plasticky and edge enhanced.

A more valid comparison would be using a natural looking picture and see whether it still looks natural and detailed after being downscaled but I just spent 15 mins on google and it's pretty hard to find a pristine looking 4K picture.....mostly because it would appear that the higher you crank the megapixels count the noisier sensors inevitably get to some extent(much like audio that mostly captures stray noise >88.2kHz from what Dan Lavry said) and even the nerdiests who go RAW and postprocess in pshop sadly don't have mVR at their disposal. It's rather unfunny how picture viewers/editors look terribly dated compared to mVR. Would need to use 4K demos screenshots I think.
One good test is to see what happens if you use PiP for live TV. Here's a comparison using DVBViewer:

(original frame)

Now are you really telling me that SSIM is too sharp and detailed, and that Catmull-Rom is the only way to get a natural looking downscale? To my eyes the Catmull-Rom image looks like I forgot to put my glasses on (if I had any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
I see. One more question, why super-xbr always scale X and Y the same? Is it limitation? https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhtb9wguc7nrfdm/xbr.png
The algorithm by design always doubles both X and Y resolution. The algorithm simply can't scale only one direction. It's technically impossible, due to the way the pixels are interpolated.

Last edited by madshi; 16th February 2016 at 19:02.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 18:52   #36207  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Thanks. I once might look into those algorithms to see what's going on
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 19:12   #36208  |  Link
KoD

Thanks madshi, downscaling of vobsubs/sups works fine now.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 19:14   #36209  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Now are you really telling me that SSIM is too sharp and detailed, and that Catmull-Rom is the only way to get a natural looking downscale?
It's all about compromises, Bicubic50 is very obviously too soft for such a drastic downscale and SSIM has way too little pixels headroom to output anything but an overprocessed looking picture. I have yet to play around with the 1D/2D SSIM sub-options but an overprocessed looking über-sharp 1080p picture is not on my agenda, great news if it works wonders on PIP and 4K

I'll try to find a pristine looking 4K picture and come back with 1080p comparisons.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 19:29   #36210  |  Link
JarrettH

PIP isn't supposed to look good
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 19:38   #36211  |  Link
Stereodude

FWIW, SSIM 1D & 2D gave me very nice results with the one UHD test clip I used on my 1080p plasma. Is it too sharp? I have no idea. SSIM 2D seemed even sharper than 1D. Jinc downscaling didn't seem much sharper than Catmull-rom. Granted I don't anticipate having much UHD content to play back so the discussion is mainly academic at this point to me.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 20:54   #36212  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
FWIW, SSIM 1D & 2D gave me very nice results with the one UHD test clip I used on my 1080p plasma. Is it too sharp? I have no idea. SSIM 2D seemed even sharper than 1D. Jinc downscaling didn't seem much sharper than Catmull-rom. Granted I don't anticipate having much UHD content to play back so the discussion is mainly academic at this point to me.
But downscaling isn't applied only when you play video files with resolutions above 1080p, assuming that your native display resolution is 1080p.

AFAIK, Downscaling also gets applied if you utilize Image Doubling/Multiplying for sub-1080p content. For example, 720p content with doubling will result in downscaling on 1080p display because 720x2 (doubling) or 720x4 (quadrupling) will result in image resolutions above 1080p (1440p when doubled or 2880 when quadrupled), thus requiring downscaling back to 1080p.
Old 16th February 2016, 20:59   #36213  |  Link
XMonarchY

Why is madVR using the term "Image Doubling" for a section that includes doubling, quadrupling, and even "octupling"? Why not just use "Image Multiplication" or "Image 2x/4x/8x Multiplication" ??? "Image Doubling" doesn't sound very accurate...
Old 16th February 2016, 21:11   #36214  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
I've always been rather unhappy with how soft downscaled images got and thought they should really look sharper.
I think the point is that you aim for the scaler to output that image which resembles the source most accurately, while leeperry wants an accurate image as well (to his liking), but just at the very end of the process when the image hits the screen and not necessarily after only scaling. so for you its only 1 step to arrive at this target, while for him it can be many steps with additional sharpening after scaling etc. thats where you disagree with each other. so SSIM might shoot too far off target with its sharpening, but it still resembles the source image more closely than the other algorithms. leeperry is willing to use more than one step to arrive at this target and therefore can go with an algorithm that wont sharp too much to be save and then can apply more sharpening more presicely afterwards to resemble the original image better (or maybe just better for his own liking).

bottom line is I guess you have to decide for yourself if you want everyone to go with the 1 step solution (or at least be more limited in your options compared to what leeperry wants) or leave room in case others want additional tweaking.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 16th February 2016 at 21:32.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 22:07   #36215  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
But downscaling isn't applied only when you play video files with resolutions above 1080p, assuming that your native display resolution is 1080p.
Yes, that depends on your settings.

Quote:
AFAIK, Downscaling also gets applied if you utilize Image Doubling/Multiplying for sub-1080p content. For example, 720p content with doubling will result in downscaling on 1080p display because 720x2 (doubling) or 720x4 (quadrupling) will result in image resolutions above 1080p (1440p when doubled or 2880 when quadrupled), thus requiring downscaling back to 1080p.
I image double DVDs with NNEDI3 and then upscale them the rest of the way with Jinc AR. I did not find quadrupling to work satisfactorily previously in my experimentation when NNEDI3 was the only doubling option.

I can image double 720p24 and then scale it down to 1080p, but 720p60 was a no go last time I tried it. I've since gotten a PCIe 3.0 motherboard, gone all x64, and now there are more possible doubling routines so maybe I should revisit. However, with the previous options and the fact I didn't have any source of 720p24 content (it's not on Blu-rays or broadcast/OTA HDTV) downscaling after doubling was not common for me.

I guess that leads to an interesting question in the case of 720p -> 1080p. Is image doubling with a super -xbr flavor and then downscaling with one of these new sharper routines preferable to straight Jinc AR upscaling? I'll have to test the render times for this later when I get home.
Old 16th February 2016, 23:44   #36216  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I'll try to find a pristine looking 4K picture and come back with 1080p comparisons.
Well with that 50Mbps 4K Chimei inn video which is pretty pristine it's obviously how much better SSIM does with fine details. Things like hair and fabric patterns, small leaves, jewelry etc. It's no contest when it comes to real life content.

Quote:
FWIW, SSIM 1D & 2D gave me very nice results with the one UHD test clip I used on my 1080p plasma. Is it too sharp? I have no idea. SSIM 2D seemed even sharper than 1D..
It's not though.

Last edited by ryrynz; 16th February 2016 at 23:52.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 00:26   #36217  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
It's not though.
It's not too sharp or 2D isn't sharper than 1D SSIM?

The edges of fine text were definitely crisper with 2D than 1D.
Old 17th February 2016, 00:55   #36218  |  Link
dansrfe

Crash on v0.90.10:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9i...0FIeV80OWxjTlU
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 01:08   #36219  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
It's not too sharp or 2D isn't sharper than 1D SSIM?

The edges of fine text were definitely crisper with 2D than 1D.
Both.

No, the edges are better defined.. not sharper. It's more accurate to the source. If anything it should look slightly less sharp due to the absence of some ringing that 1D has, but it's hard to notice.

Last edited by ryrynz; 17th February 2016 at 01:10.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 02:33   #36220  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Why is madVR using the term "Image Doubling" for a section that includes doubling, quadrupling, and even "octupling"? Why not just use "Image Multiplication" or "Image 2x/4x/8x Multiplication" ??? "Image Doubling" doesn't sound very accurate...
I think image doubling is accurate. A 4x resize is still a double -- it is a double of a double. Every resize is a multiple of 2x; therefore, it is a double.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling