Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th August 2009, 00:59   #1  |  Link
iffybob

Hardware Mpeg Encoders

Ok over the last few weeks I had a thread going about encoding DBVt to avis and mpegs, still not there on complete understanding, (mostley in my confidence in whats happening, there nothing like encoding 2 hours of video and finding the sound sync out or drifts ), but I have had a lot of help here even if some of it was just an idea or question to follow up that lead to better understanding on my part, thank you to all of those people.

But to find out your encoding "went wrong", takes time, both to encode and to watch through to find any errors.

so I have a 2.8Ghz P4, with 333Mhz Ram, to upgrade the memory I need to upagrade the board, if I upgrade the board I need, RAM, a new Graphics and sound cards, probley a new HD, or to put it another way , "A new computer", which I cant afford at this time.

So I thought, "Hardware encoder", dedicated hardware "can" run 10 times softeware for a given task.

So a "Google" later , where are they ?, I can find Analoge/VCR to Mpeg converters, I have already a Pinical DVC130, it hardware encodes,though I find if I run it without background rendering on, it produces a low bitrate mpeg2 stream, and if I process the file to a higher bit rate, it just re-encodes using "software", umm.

I can understand, that decoding with all the codecs and there variations, which I came across in files I have that decoding is a problem, but to produce a small set of standardised say DVD Mpeg streams, should not be.

To sumerise this idea
PC decode -output to-> Hardware encode -output to-> PC harddisk file.

A few years ago, there was an artical on the BBCs "Click" programe run on "BBC New 24" channel. They showed a USB device in development, that encoded using hardware and the guys said they were getting good results, I cannt find any reference to this anywhere even on the BBC web site.

On the afore mentioned search I also found servalence equipment, but the mpeg encoders took an analoge video source, and a few componant level moduals, not for a PC that did Mpeg encoding.

Is it just that with current PC processor speeds, (Possibly the newish graphics processors/number chrunchers, and these being made available to the programmer and not just the video memory) and the variations in codec in/ouput the hardware developers just dont see the point.

I wish to be enlightend
iffybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
encode, hardware, mpeg