Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 13th February 2005, 09:46   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit 0.5.0 beta

[EDIT: PgcEdit v7.0 has been released. See this thread.]

PgcEdit 0.5.0 beta 8 is available in the "All versions" folder of my homepage at VideoHelp.

This is the first public beta.

The main new feature is the BOV (Buttons Over Video in title domain) support.
This addition required many changes in the code, so it's still a beta. All known bugs are hopefully fixed, but I prefer to release a public beta for now, just to be sure.

If you find a bug, please report it here. Thanks.

See the history for the complete list of changes.

Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd April 2006 at 10:37.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2005, 11:09   #2  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Merci beaucoup r0lZ!!

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2005, 16:48   #3  |  Link
vav

two small typos:
on the burn icon, in the tooltip,
ingtool -->> iMgtool
mkisofs -->> mkisoft

jpg attached.

after correcting this - program is PERFECT! :-)
Attached Images

VAV
vav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2005, 17:04   #4  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by vav
two small typos:
on the burn icon, in the tooltip,
ingtool -->> iMgtool
mkisofs -->> mkisoft
IngTools changed to ImgTool. Thanks.

But I can't see any typo in mkisofs. BTW, mkisofs stands for Make ISO File System.
Old 13th February 2005, 20:28   #5  |  Link
vav

r0lZ,
you're so polite and I'm ashamed

you're correct of course.

well, program's perfected earlier than expected

Thanks again for a wonderful piece of work.

VAV
vav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2005, 23:55   #6  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Why do we have a disabled Cancel button in BOV dialog if we can't use it? The Abort button works as planned.
Old 14th February 2005, 00:40   #7  |  Link
2COOL

I like having my Find BOVs dialog automatically start but I feel I don't really have the need to do it again whenever I use the reopen button. It's like using DVD Shrink and having it re-analyze my files everytime. How about putting it a simple dialog the second time asking us if we want to find BOVs again? If not, bypass it.
Old 14th February 2005, 00:40   #8  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Cancel:
The Cancel button is disabled during the scan process.
When the Scan for BOV dislog is automatically called upon DVD load, the scan process begins immediately, therefore the Cancel button is disabled.
But if you launch the function manually (via the File menu), there is no autostart, and you must use the OK button to launch the scan, or the Cancel button to quit immediately.

Autostart:
This is why you have an Abort button! You may abort the scan if you already know there are no BOVs in the current DVD.
Also, note that you may disable the scan of any VTS, including the VTS being currently processed. This will bypass it, and continue with the next one.
I can't reuse the old variables, because everything is reinitialized whenever a DVD is opened, or reopened.

Last edited by r0lZ; 14th February 2005 at 00:50.
Old 14th February 2005, 00:56   #9  |  Link
2COOL

Ok...I can live with it. Back to beta testing...
Old 14th February 2005, 04:26   #10  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

After a BOV scan, there is a ?b against video in VMG PGCs.

I'm not sure if there can be BOV in this domain and PgcEdit has no way of scanning it anyway.

So, shouldn't this ?b be eliminated?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 08:51   #11  |  Link
2COOL

r0lZ,

Can you implement a sanity check to compare the actual number of audio and subpictures in VTS_PGC_# to what's in VTSI_MAT? The reason I'm asking is that I have encountered a scenario with having two actual sub streams but in VTSI_MAT, it showed 32. I had to manually changed that to 2. I assume this is a minor discrepancy in authoring.

Last edited by 2COOL; 14th February 2005 at 10:07.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 11:01   #12  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by blutach
After a BOV scan, there is a ?b against video in VMG PGCs.

I'm not sure if there can be BOV in this domain and PgcEdit has no way of scanning it anyway.

So, shouldn't this ?b be eliminated?

Regards
As BOVs are, by definition, buttons over video in the title domain, there cannot be BOVs in the VMG. But the regular menu buttons are scanned in all VTSM and in the VMGM VOBs when the DVD is loaded.

Note that the menu buttons scan occur before the scan for BOVs when the DVD is loaded, and is totally independent. I don't think the BOV scan is responsible. You may check that easily: disable the automatic scan for BOVs, and reload the DVD. If the ?b do not appear anymore, then it's a bug!

A ?b marker is used when, for any reason, the scan cannot determine if there are buttons in that PGC. Maybe the VOB is missing, or still encoded, or it does not match the IFOs?
Try to display the menu buttons of that PGC, and see the error message in the status bar.

Also, in v0.4.*, it was impossible to scan the menu buttons in the VMGM with a DVD without any VTS. (It's not easy to find such a DVD, but you may create one with the New DVD function.) This problem was in libdvdread, and doesn't occur anymore with v0.5, as I rewrited the buttons parsing routine entirely in Tcl/Tk.

Last edited by r0lZ; 14th February 2005 at 16:23.
Old 14th February 2005, 11:20   #13  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
r0lZ,

Can you implement a sanity check to compare the actual number of audio and subpictures in VTS_PGC_# to what's in VTSI_MAT? The reason I'm asking is that I have encountered a scenario with having two actual sub streams but in VTSI_MAT, it showed 32. I had to manually changed that to 2. I assume this is a minor discrepancy in authoring.
Difficult. I have no way to know the real number of streams by looking at a particular PGC. The stream status in a PGC indicates which are the streams used by that PGC, but there may be additional streams not used in that particular PGC, but used elsewhere. I often saw this case with BOVs, for example.
The only way to know the number of streams is to examine all PGCs, and use the highest number found. But, even if I do that, there is no guarantee that it's the real number of streams stored in the VOBs.

However, I will see if I can do something...
Old 14th February 2005, 15:38   #14  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
I like having my Find BOVs dialog automatically start but I feel I don't really have the need to do it again whenever I use the reopen button. It's like using DVD Shrink and having it re-analyze my files everytime. How about putting it a simple dialog the second time asking us if we want to find BOVs again? If not, bypass it.
OK, I've found a relatively easy way to do what you requested. The option to skip the menu buttons and BOVs parsing when reopening a DVD will be available in 0.5.0 final.
Old 14th February 2005, 17:25   #15  |  Link
goonix

Hi r0lZ,

first thank you for your incredible work. Can't think what to do without PgcEdit...

I have tried v0.5.0beta8 to make a modified backup of "Who wants to be a Millionaire" german DVD edition, a game DVD for desktop DVD-players, that have only BOV and absolutely no regular buttons.

1. If I open the folder with PgcEdit and save it without changing anything, following will happen when I try to play the saved folder:

PowerDVD opens the viewing window and closes it immediately.
WinDVD does nothing.
Nero Showtime hangs up.

Using the original files, all 3 softplayers work correctly.

I have tested this behaviour with older PgcEdit versions. In 0.4.1 to 0.4.4 there are no problems. Beginning from 0.4.5, the saved DVD files won't work anymore. It is independent of the 32k option.

If I try to open the saved folder again, PgcEdit gives me the error message: Fatal error! PgcEdit is trying to read data after the end of table...

This DVD has 48 VTS with 50 to 120 VTST-PGCs and 8 to 9 cells in every PGC so maybe a big table is necessary?
It is my first DVD where this problem occur.

2. The aspect ratio of the displayed frame within the button view window isn't 4:3. (the people have "eggheads"). For that reason the buttons placed on the bottom of the frame are not visible, they are below the viewing area. If I press the Preview button, all is displayed fine, but here I can't see the button commands of course.

3. In some PGCs all the button commands I can see are NOP and because there are no post commands, it can't be correct. But if you do a preview of this PGC, you can see that the button-background (as part of the video) is displayed first in cell 2 of this PGC and therefore the buttons will be activated (get a usefull command) maybe not before cell 2 is reached.

Pressing the Image ">" button several times won't help.

Maybe this information is usefull.
goonix
goonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2005, 18:52   #16  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hi goonix, and welcome to the forum.

1. Humm. Verry ennoying problem! I'm not sure why it happens. There are no fixed width tables in PgcEdit, so, it should not be a problem with the number of VTS, PGCs or commands.
Could you send me the original IFOs (an archive with the PgcEdit_backup folder)? You will find my email address in my profile. Thanks.

2. I will look at this aspect ratio problem.

3. If a PGC has button commands or a NextPGC link > 0, it is possible that there are no VM commands at all.
But that may also be a side effect of problem 1.

Thanks for submitting this important bug. I'm waiting for your IFOs...
Old 15th February 2005, 02:01   #17  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

0.5.0 beta 9

Another beta is out. Check the homepage at VideoHelp.

It fixes the problem reported above by goonix (nothing to do with BOVs), and a couple other things.

@goonix
I've found the problem.
In the PTT_SRPTI tables of all titlesets, there is only one TTU with one PTT. This is strange, but perfectly legal.
But the Program number is 0 for the defined chapter. As the programs are numbered starting at 1, it's obviously abnormal.
Furthermore, the PGCN for the defined chapter is sometimes a dummy PGC! There cannot be chapters in a dummy PGC!
There must be an entry in the PTT_SRPTI for each title. But, your DVD is a game, without 'real' titles to play. So, I suppose this trick is used to hide the chapter numbers.
I wonder if this is legal...

Example (Titleset 12):
Code:
[00000000] 	Number of Title Unit Search Pointers (TTUs) in the VTS	1	[0001]
[00000004] 	End byte of PTT_SRPT table	15	[0000000f]

[00000008] 	  TTU_1: Starting byte	12	[0000000c]

TTU_1 PTTs:		
[0000000c] 	    PTT_1: Programm Chain number PGCN	133	[0085]
[0000000e] 	    PTT_1: Programm number PG	0	[0000]
Note that PGC 133 is a dummy PGC, and the PG 0!
In such situation, PgcEdit was unable to rebuild the table correctly.

Could you download beta 9 and try it with your DVD. Should work, but I don't have the VOBs, so I cannot test it fully. Thanks!
Old 15th February 2005, 04:32   #18  |  Link
lamster

Tracing problem with "force action" button?

I saw this first with 0.4.x, but I see the same thing with 0.5.0.

In "Return of the Jedi" (Star Wars VI, region 1), the FBI warning and following "Attention" warning have hidden buttons. When I trace into VMGM PGC 10 (the FBI warning), it says "Group 1 (normal), 4 buttons, force select button 4, force action button 0". The PGC contains:
Code:
********** pre commands:
********** post commands:
[30 06 00 0B 00 C0 00 00]   1  (JumpSS) Jump to VMGM PGC 11 
********** cell commands:
The action for button 4 is a NOP; the action for the other 3 buttons is "Set gprm(5) = <something>; linktailPGC". When I trace through this, if I choose "Select and break" with the default button selected, it does the NOP and if I keep tracing, I wind up looping back into the menu.
lamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2005, 12:38   #19  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the info!

I don't know what is the correct behavior with a NOP in a button command.
I have the feeling that a NOP button command should simply be ignored. I'll clone this situation on a test DVD to be sure, and fix the problem.

For now, you should use the "Skip" button. This will simulate a normal playback, without any button selected.

Last edited by r0lZ; 15th February 2005 at 14:43.
Old 15th February 2005, 14:44   #20  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have made the test. My conclusion is that a NOP command in a menu button is simply ignored. The playbcak of the current cell continues normally.
There was indeed a little problem with the Trace mode in this case. If you selected a NOP button, the playback was interrupted, and the control returned to the cell or post commands. This was not correct.
Now, a dialog will show a warning, and the user will be prompted to select another menu button, or to use the "Skip" button to simulate a normal playback, without button selection.

Note that NOP commands are usually used with 'hidden' buttons, and you should normally not be able to select them.
Probably the case you described is an easter egg?

Also, could you verify that the cell still time for the menu is NOT 255? If is is 255, the Skip button is disabled.
Thanks.

Last edited by r0lZ; 15th February 2005 at 14:47.