Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 19th September 2009, 08:25   #1001  |  Link
Alex_ander

@jeanl

First of all thanks for your great tool. I recently started using it due to its unique bitmap editing feature and then also found that its OCR feature is much better that in other tools I had used.

Had 2 small problems (1.5 version) until I found workaround.

1.The first problem (at bitmap editing) was that if I didn't manually set different colors for auto-clut (manual setting for the forced 'auto' is not offered when export to bmp starts from ifo CLUT), then I had 2 same colors in auto-clut (the original ifo clut had 3 same colors with varying transparency) and then there was no way to separate patterns. It only started to work after I'd changed the default auto colors to 4 different ones. Not a big problem but maybe changing defaults for auto-clut (forcing all 4 auto-colors different) would be useful here?

2.The second thing was wrong time codes in .srt for the OCR-ripped subtitles (both in full-domain* and sup modes). As I can see in this page of the thread, another user mentioned a similar thing. I earlier had that problem in SubRip and didn't expect to find it in newer tool, so it even took me some time to find this out in the resulting mux.
It wasn't a constant delay, so retiming the whole stream didn't help. In a set of 515 lines the offset values were -1 to -3 seconds, while the original sups muxed back were perfectly synched. I tried 2 different tools with those .srt (TAW4 and SubtitleCreator) to be sure. Finally, I had to separately rip original timings from demuxed sup to empty .srt (SubtitleCreator gets time codes perfectly) and copy/paste every translated line to it. That did the thing.
* In full-domain mode there was an additional time code shift (about 4s) in the last 70 or 100 lines.

Do the latest modifications fix it (I used 1.50)?
Alex_ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 18:44   #1002  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ander View Post
@jeanl

First of all thanks for your great tool. I recently started using it due to its unique bitmap editing feature and then also found that its OCR feature is much better that in other tools I had used.

Had 2 small problems (1.5 version) until I found workaround.

1.The first problem (at bitmap editing) was that if I didn't manually set different colors for auto-clut (manual setting for the forced 'auto' is not offered when export to bmp starts from ifo CLUT), then I had 2 same colors in auto-clut (the original ifo clut had 3 same colors with varying transparency) and then there was no way to separate patterns. It only started to work after I'd changed the default auto colors to 4 different ones. Not a big problem but maybe changing defaults for auto-clut (forcing all 4 auto-colors different) would be useful here?
Yes, I fixed this problem recently, but I haven't published the fixed version. Indeed if some of the colors are identical in the default CLUT, the import/export function does not work well at all.

Quote:
2.The second thing was wrong time codes in .srt for the OCR-ripped subtitles (both in full-domain* and sup modes). As I can see in this page of the thread, another user mentioned a similar thing. I earlier had that problem in SubRip and didn't expect to find it in newer tool, so it even took me some time to find this out in the resulting mux.
It wasn't a constant delay, so retiming the whole stream didn't help. In a set of 515 lines the offset values were -1 to -3 seconds, while the original sups muxed back were perfectly synched. I tried 2 different tools with those .srt (TAW4 and SubtitleCreator) to be sure. Finally, I had to separately rip original timings from demuxed sup to empty .srt (SubtitleCreator gets time codes perfectly) and copy/paste every translated line to it. That did the thing.
* In full-domain mode there was an additional time code shift (about 4s) in the last 70 or 100 lines.

Do the latest modifications fix it (I used 1.50)?
I think it's possible that the updated version also fixes this problem. Send me a message at jeanldvd at free dot fr and I'll send you the latest version, so you can try whether the problem is fixed or not. If not, I'll take a look at it.
Jeanl
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:30   #1003  |  Link
Alex_ander

Thanks for your reply.
I tested time codes with 1.5023 and got the same issue. Looking at the values, they seem to come from 30/29.97 difference, as if the program derived time codes from 30fps, assumed instead of actual 29.97. The DVD length was 49:17, time code shift by the end was about -3 s. So probably this can be cured by framerate conversion (e.g. in SubtitleCreator). If the 1000/1001 is the actual reason (I didn't try it on PAL yet) it would be nice to have an option to type the actual framerate value before saving OCR results to .srt. BTW, this thread has just passed over 1001(!) post .
Alex_ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 06:13   #1004  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ander View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I tested time codes with 1.5023 and got the same issue. Looking at the values, they seem to come from 30/29.97 difference, as if the program derived time codes from 30fps, assumed instead of actual 29.97. The DVD length was 49:17, time code shift by the end was about -3 s. So probably this can be cured by framerate conversion (e.g. in SubtitleCreator). If the 1000/1001 is the actual reason (I didn't try it on PAL yet) it would be nice to have an option to type the actual framerate value before saving OCR results to .srt. BTW, this thread has just passed over 1001(!) post .
DVDSubEdit outputs time in non-dropframe (see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...16#post1124416 for a lengthy explanation). So this means that for NTSC, the time output in the srt file progressively falls behind the "real" time (i.e., the time you'd measure with a stopwatch while watching the movie).
I'm not sure what's the proper way to output time in srt files. I could make that an option, so the user can select to use either non dropframe (the current default) or dropframe.
Jeanl
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:32   #1005  |  Link
Foofaraw

I see we can export srt's but can we import them as well?
Foofaraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:42   #1006  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Certainly not. DVDSubEdit is not a tool to generate subpics and/or mux the video. It can only modify the existing subpics in place, without modifying the overall VOB structure.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 07:39   #1007  |  Link
jeanl

Version 1.51 of DVDSubEdit is now available here...

A few improvements and bug fixes.

This is the change log since version 1.5
Version 1.51
  • Added retiming for sup files.
  • Added code to check that the auto clut does not have two identical colors, and abort editing with external tool if it does.
  • Added "invert selection" button.
  • Added proper handling of "Delete" key in OCR edit box.
  • Removed annoying warning about using autoclut when modifying subpics with external tools and colors are ambiguous, and you're already using autoclut.
  • Added option in preference to disable "CLUT warning" during bitmap export/import operations, when the bitmap only uses 3 colors.
  • Added an option in preferences to show the absolute PTS time, or the PTS relative to the first VOBU. It is customary in SUP file to display the PTS relative to the first VOBU. However, in many cases, the absolute PTS reflects the real display time of the subtitle in the movie.
  • Added shortcut Ctrl-Shift-E to edit bitmap with external tool.
  • Changed the default AutoClut colors so no two colors are identical.
  • Made a change to fix problems arising with PAL subpics in NTSC video.
  • Adjusted the area cut when removing words from subtitles.
  • The play buttons are now disabled when loading a sup file.
  • Sup files were sometimes created with a read-only flag. This is now fixed.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause a crash in some cases (e.g., only changing force-start to normal-start) when saving.
  • Fixed a problem that could cause DVDSE to hang when opening very short VOB files.
  • Fixed a problem with how buttons were displayed when not selected and not activated.
  • Fixed a few problems with start and end x/y values when exporting/importing bitmaps.
  • The user manual has been updated for this version.
Old 10th December 2009, 08:27   #1008  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Thank you very much Jean.

Has the "apply to all" bug been addressed regarding changing infinite timing to a stop command? By this I mean:

Answer yes when DVDSE asks if you want want to add a stop command. If you then Apply last mods and Apply last mods to all, the durations of the other infinites stay infinite.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 10th December 2009 at 08:30.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 13:57   #1009  |  Link
GrofLuigi
Member of a Library

Thank you Jean for the new version!

On the File menu, there is a double separator between Preferences and Exit items.

GL
GrofLuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 22:38   #1010  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrofLuigi View Post
Thank you Jean for the new version!

On the File menu, there is a double separator between Preferences and Exit items.

GL
That's because your most recent file list is empty. When you start using DVDSE, there will be a list of the files you last opened below the preferences item.
Jeanl
Old 10th December 2009, 22:38   #1011  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Thank you very much Jean.

Has the "apply to all" bug been addressed regarding changing infinite timing to a stop command? By this I mean:

Answer yes when DVDSE asks if you want want to add a stop command. If you then Apply last mods and Apply last mods to all, the durations of the other infinites stay infinite.

Regards
I suspect it hasn't been addressed
Jeanl
Old 11th December 2009, 00:53   #1012  |  Link
kotyczka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl View Post
Version 1.51 of DVDSubEdit is now available here...
Great, DVDSubEdit becomes even better!
Will you share the source code as well with us?
Last source I see is 1.50.

I guess, the 'drop frame' vs. 'non drop frame'
option for NTSC subtitles (discussed here in
September 2009) is not implemented yet. However
this shall not be kind of grouching, thank you
very much for the new version!

Last edited by kotyczka; 11th December 2009 at 00:55.
kotyczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:03   #1013  |  Link
GrofLuigi
Member of a Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl View Post
That's because your most recent file list is empty. When you start using DVDSE, there will be a list of the files you last opened below the preferences item.
Jeanl
I delete them myself regularly.

GL
GrofLuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 22:42   #1014  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotyczka View Post
Great, DVDSubEdit becomes even better!
Will you share the source code as well with us?
Last source I see is 1.50.
Yes, the source code is overdue. I'll do that soon.
jeanl
Old 15th December 2009, 18:26   #1015  |  Link
Annatasia

I am new here, but I am not sure if I have enter the right thread.
If someone can help the way with this problem.

I have a problem too. Mine AC 03 is out of sync. How can I fix this?

PgcDemux given.

Audio_1: 0x80 --> -1msec

I need to put a good delay in muxman, can someone help me?

thnx
Annatasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 23:32   #1016  |  Link
mpucoder

Please (re)read the forum rules, it is not necessary to post a question more than one time.

A delay of 1 millisecond can not be detected by a viewer since each video frame is on the screen for 33 to 40 milliseconds (depending on TV standard). But if you want to correct it MuxMan has a spinner to set the audio delay.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 18:07   #1017  |  Link
paolocchio

Hi everybody! I'm running DVDSubedit 1.51 under Windows 98SE.
Being aware of what was written in post #33, I'm trying to replace a subtitle stream with another (translating the text from English to Italian).
I use the IFO CLUT (attachment 1) and edit the subpics as 16 colors bmp with Corel Photo Paint 7 (attachment 2).
I choose the grey from the color palette on the right to write the text in Italian. The new text has no outline (attachment 3).
Then I import the modified subpic (attachment 4) and save all the modifications.
When I play the VOB file with VLC player the modified text is black (attachment 5).
I believe the new subpic data have the same size as the original one. Can anyone tell me what went wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Paolo
Attached Images

paolocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 18:36   #1018  |  Link
jeanl

mmm, this is strange. DVDSE shows the subpic in white, but the player shows them black? If you re-load the VOB in DVDSE, it shows the subpics in white, right?
I don't know what's going on, I don't think I've seen this problem before.
Jeanl
Old 10th January 2010, 19:23   #1019  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The problem can be fixed easily by changing the original black color in the CLUT to white (if there are no other subpic streans in the same VOBs.)

But Jean, that doesn't explain why the problem occurs.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 19:54   #1020  |  Link
paolocchio

Many thanks to both for the quick replies.
If I reload the VOB file with DVDSE the modified subpic is white. I will try rOIZ tip and let you know.
Best regards,
Paolo
paolocchio is offline   Reply With Quote