Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 18th July 2013, 00:48   #1  |  Link
Nozdrum

Improving this upscaling script

Recently I started using AvsPmod and I'm testing this script to upscale anime from DVD 480p to 720p (4/3):

Code:
FFVideoSource("Input")
TemporalSoften(4,4,8,15,2)
nnedi3(field=-1, dh=False, Y=True, U=True, V=True, nsize=6, nns=1, qual=1, etype=0, pscrn=2, threads=0, opt=0, fapprox=15)
nnedi3(field=-1, dh=False, Y=True, U=True, V=True, nsize=6, nns=1, qual=1, etype=0, pscrn=2, threads=0, opt=0, fapprox=15)
LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.5, ss_y=1.5, dest_x=last.width, dest_y=last.height, Smode=3, strength=100, radius=2, Lmode=1,
 wide=false, overshoot=1, soft=-1, edgemode=0, special=false, exborder=0)
LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.5, ss_y=1.5, dest_x=last.width, dest_y=last.height, Smode=3, strength=100, radius=2, Lmode=1,
Spline36Resize(960, 720, src_left=0, src_top=0, src_width=0, src_height=0)
This is a comparison of the result:
http://imgur.com/a/bI2OW#0
http://imgur.com/a/fL5aR#0

The backgrounds appear quite detailed compared to the source but, I think the lines of the clothes and the characters are a bit large, also their colors seem to be different. Is there any way to improve this kind of lines and colors?

EDIT: the problem with the colors happens when upscaling to 720p it causes the colors to change, while using a different value like 576p doesn't affect the colors:
http://imgur.com/a/cUjPU#0

I wonder is it possible to prevent this color shifting?

Last edited by Nozdrum; 18th July 2013 at 01:31. Reason: color problem solved
Nozdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 16:43   #2  |  Link
Sapo84

Stop doing that.
You have obviously no idea what the filters are doing and the result is ugly, many time worse than the original source (which actually looks ok).

At least you should read the filters/scripts descriptions, the result after the third line is identical to the result after the fourth one, you interpolate a field with nnedi3 (discarding half the vertical resolution in the process, because upscaling 480->wasn't enough) and then then interpolate it again in the next line.

Anyway, a basic upscale script should probably look like this
Quote:
FFVideoSource("Input")
nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2)
LimitedSharpenFaster(dest_x=960, dest_y=720)
Read the filter descriptions and tweak how you see fit.

P.S. The color shift is probably due to the renderer switching from bt.601 to bt.709.
Another reason why you should not upscale if you don't know what you're doing.
Sapo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 23:20   #3  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

For thinner lines, play with warpsharp. Sorry, I don't have any of my old upscaling scripts handy or I'd post one to help you out.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 11:05   #4  |  Link
Nozdrum

Sapo84 your suggestion made a good result but, I still want to add some more grain in the backgrounds, I think they weren't that bad in those upscales, using your filters is still better though. I read the filter descriptions before even though I didn't understand much, I'm kida newbie to Avisynth but I'm liking it a lot.

That script I made is from this old post, I liked the result in that snapshot so I thought I could try using the same filters, I'm planning to upscale some DVDs for an hd tv because 480p didn't look really good on it.

Today I'm going to try warpsharp as foxy suggested, if it weren't for those ruined lines I think the upscale could be a lot nicer.
Old 19th July 2013, 12:07   #5  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

http://www.nmm-hd.org/newbbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1117
best upscaler for most cases I can find
and if you want to use eedi instead of nnedi, here's a moded version
http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=1427346446&uk=370037491
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 15:20   #6  |  Link
mandarinka

Frankly, your results are horrible and I fear you will also ruin the look if you start with warpsharping /I beg you, take a GOOD look at how it deforms proportions of everything.../

If you are willing to take my opinion, that anime is perfectly watchable from SD. I was watching that fullscreen on 27" LCD at my table /= from distance of about 80-90 cm/ and there was no need at all for using any sharpening or upscaling tricks. The video was fine as it was, in its natural look (which you seem to not care at all if it gets ruined). You won't make it look any better with attempts like these.

When you are on a top of a hill, the only way to go is down - and that is a situation that you face when you try to "improve" video like this. You know, the most important thing when filtering is to know that in certain situations, you actually shouldn't do any filtering at all.

/Sorry for being rude, but you need to have more respet for the work of those animators./

Last edited by mandarinka; 19th July 2013 at 15:29.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 19:22   #7  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=4,cshift="spline36resize",fwidth=960,fheight=720,nsize=3,nns=4,pscrn=4)
Old 19th July 2013, 23:08   #8  |  Link
Nozdrum

Don't misunderstand me, I'd never watch the upscaled that I've bosted before because I don't like how the lines got ruined so much, the only thing I liked was how the backgrounds resulted more detailed to my eyes (it's not like I've a lot of confidence in my eyesight though), so I was wondering if it was possible to leave the lines untouced but at the same time apply that effect on the backgrounds.

Mandarinka, criticism is always welcome (and who am I to deny your suggestion when I don't even know how to use AviSynth), I understand what you're saying about the source that looks better, it does in fact look good for me too, it's just that on a large TV it looks very blurry, at least on mine.

I've downloaded eedi3, thanks for the filter and the links feisty2, I read that using (x,y,matrix="601/709") I can fix the colors, that's good!
Old 25th July 2013, 01:06   #9  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
/Sorry for being rude, but you need to have more respet for the work of those animators./
Regardless of how you feel about a result, if someone finds a result more pleasing once alternatives are already discussed, don't pile on. It's their choice, their pleasure, and it is rude.

Now if they're promoting a fancy script for public consumption, that's a little bit different.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 11:39   #10  |  Link
2Bdecided

If you play this DVD in a half-decent BluRay player, it will upscale it far better than your first script which totally misused nnedi2.

If you use nnedi2/3 or eedi2 properly, the results can beat some BluRay players and TVs, but the difference isn't dramatic. You only get a dramatic difference when there's some other fault to fix in the source, or the upscaling of the player or TV is poor.

With interlaced or telecined content, the quality of that process in the player or TV also matters, and here it is sometimes easy to do better in software. You can gain that advantage without upscaling though.

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
480p, 720p, anime, dvd, upscaling