Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th October 2011, 14:55   #10121  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
Is there a way to see my CPU usage in Exclusive Mode?
Start Task manager and open Perfomance window
make it wider
start a movie and watch for few minutes
close the player
see Task manager
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 15:01   #10122  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golagoda View Post
I'd personally go with the GT430, it has OpenGL 4.1, whereas the GT440 has OpenGL4.0, and the default clock speeds/memory of the cards are relatively the same, not to mention it's the cheaper one.
Thats not true, all 400 series support up to OpenGL 4.2.
The real difference is in memory bandwidth, a GT440 with GDDR5 will have a drastically higher memory bandwidth then a GT430 with DDR3, which can make quite a big difference in some cases.
Old 15th October 2011, 15:35   #10123  |  Link
mandarinka

Actually, is the memory bandwidth of the gpu as important for madvr as it is for gaming?

Since we are talking about HTPC-use, the power draw/dissipation is also important, and in some reviews of the 6400-6500 Radeons I noticed that gddr5 ram added about 10W to the overall power usage of the card (compared to gddr3 model)... For that reason, it could be a good idea to go for ddr3 to get a cooler card (provided it won't cripple madvr too much).
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 15:36   #10124  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

from what Ive heard, its the most important performance factor for madvr
Old 15th October 2011, 15:40   #10125  |  Link
CountryBumkin

What is causing low Queue numbers?

Lately, I am having problems running MadVR (with Lav CUVID) in JRiver MC16. I have big time hestitation and freezing playing back BD material. My system is a ASRock H67, i3-2100, nvidia GTS450, Win7 32bit. Everything used to work fine - I don't know what changed to cause this problem.

When the hesitation/stuttering starts;
MadVR status screen shows:
decoder queue is 1-/1/8 (I have even seen these numbers lower)
upload queue is 1-1/8
renderer queue is 1-1/8
present queue is 0-0/4

if I pause movie the queue starts to increase, movie plays okay then queue numbers drop and movie hesitates/freezes. Sometimes the (BD) movies start and run fine, sometimes I ge this problem right after starting Playback, and somtimes it plays a little then the hesitation/stuttering starts. Seems like first queue to drop is the Decoder queue with the other queues dropping immediately thereafter.

My other HTPC is running JRiver too with same JRiver settings and MadVR is great so I don't think this is related to MC16 settings. On this HTPC the queue numbers are always 7-8/8 for first three and 3-4/4 for last one. All the movies play/stream from same local Server (hardwired network) so I know the movie rips are not the problem as they play fine on the other system.

I swapped video cards this weekend (GT440 to GTS450) but the problem stays with the computer (not with the card).

My Network ulitization is 1%, CPU around 5%, GPU-Z shows around 1% load. I ran Windows Performance test and nothing is comong up wrong.

What do I need to check/do to figure out the problem?
CountryBumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 17:03   #10126  |  Link
noee

Try software decoding to isolate LAVCUVID.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 18:19   #10127  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
from what Ive heard, its the most important performance factor for madvr
I have the same graphics card that you have. madVR works well for me.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 18:55   #10128  |  Link
THX-UltraII

here s a graph of my CPU usage with madVR latest version, LAV Video Decoder, W7 x64, MPC-HC x86, ATI HD5450 with latest cat., Core2Quad Q9550 running @stock, 4GB DDR3. Looks a little bit high?
Running a 1080p23,976 HD .m2ts BR rip on a 1080p projector.

What is the best recommendation for best PQ?

1. ATI HD5xxx/6xxx series with LAV video software decoding
2. NVIDIA ? with LAV video software decoding or
3. NVIDIA ? with LAV CUVID
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 20:51   #10129  |  Link
Andy o

What blu-ray is this? What I can tell you though is that with madVR you won't be able to do frame interpolation smoothly. I kinda had it working with lower settings and I think EVR-CP on Win 7-64 and a q9450 and 5770.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 20:58   #10130  |  Link
Nicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I have the same graphics card that you have. madVR works well for me.
You mean the 8500gt? which algorithm are you using for resize? the default maxes out gpu usage here.
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 22:07   #10131  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
here s a graph of my CPU usage with madVR latest version, LAV Video Decoder, W7 x64, MPC-HC x86, ATI HD5450 with latest cat., Core2Quad Q9550 running @stock, 4GB DDR3. Looks a little bit high?
Running a 1080p23,976 HD .m2ts BR rip on a 1080p projector.

What is the best recommendation for best PQ?

1. ATI HD5xxx/6xxx series with LAV video software decoding
2. NVIDIA ? with LAV video software decoding or
3. NVIDIA ? with LAV CUVID
My understanding is that, for decoder it's more black and white. Every encoder should give the same result. If it failed, it wouldn't be just a worse PQ, but totally wrong picture (blocks, bands, etc.). So you can choose the decoder that you like the most (free, use CPU/GPU, good performance, etc.). However, I would say that, for the least chance of something messed up, madVR+its own internal decoder would be best, just because madshi have a total control on both. Now, he do committed to make madVR works just as well for external decoder, so I wouldn't too worry about that either.
Old 15th October 2011, 22:45   #10132  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Thats not true, all 400 series support up to OpenGL 4.2.
The real difference is in memory bandwidth, a GT440 with GDDR5 will have a drastically higher memory bandwidth then a GT430 with DDR3, which can make quite a big difference in some cases.
I was going by what was said on the nvidia site, I'm pretty sure nvidia knows what they're talking about when talking about the cards they make themselves
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 00:34   #10133  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Is there a way to see my CPU usage in Exclusive Mode? Because I check my CPU usage by CTRL+ALT+DEL, Taksmanager, Performance and this way madVR autoswitches to Windowed Mode.
If you use PotPlayer, hit the <TAB> key and the CPU usage will be displayed.

QB
Old 16th October 2011, 07:57   #10134  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
My understanding is that, for decoder it's more black and white. Every encoder should give the same result. If it failed, it wouldn't be just a worse PQ, but totally wrong picture (blocks, bands, etc.). So you can choose the decoder that you like the most (free, use CPU/GPU, good performance, etc.). However, I would say that, for the least chance of something messed up, madVR+its own internal decoder would be best, just because madshi have a total control on both. Now, he do committed to make madVR works just as well for external decoder, so I wouldn't too worry about that either.
I thought
That LAV is the best decoder out there atm
Old 16th October 2011, 09:02   #10135  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
I thought
I think that's the case, performance wise. However, it make no different on PQ.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 09:25   #10136  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I think that's the case, performance wise. However, it make no different on PQ.
then I ll make the swith to madVR video decoding because this 'fits' best with madVR I guess.
Old 17th October 2011, 18:49   #10137  |  Link
irishrobbie

Quote:
I thought
i can tell ya that madvr with lav decoder is deffo a good combination and im using an ati 5670 graphics card, very smooth indeed no frames been dropped
irishrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 19:28   #10138  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrobbie View Post
i can tell ya that madvr with lav decoder is deffo a good combination and im using an ati 5670 graphics card, very smooth indeed no frames been dropped
just did some testing with madVR as decoder. 10% higher CPU usage so I ll stick with LAV video decoder for now.

Is there a way to let MPC-HC/madVR start with a few seconds delay when choosing a file? I ask this because I use XBMC; when running XBMC my output of my video card runs at 1080p60 because XBMC is far more smoother with this. But when I m going to play content from within XBMC (I use MPC-HC as external player) my projector has to switch from 60 to 24 and this takes a few seconds. So I can already hear my movie playing while the projector is still busy with making the freq. switch.
Old 17th October 2011, 23:09   #10139  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Is there a way to let MPC-HC/madVR start with a few seconds delay when choosing a file?
Have you tried "delay playback start until renderer queue is full" under rederering/general settings? It's probably only a 1 or 2 sec (depending on how big your buffer is) delay max but it might work for you.
XRyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 01:06   #10140  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
Have you tried "delay playback start until renderer queue is full" under rederering/general settings? It's probably only a 1 or 2 sec (depending on how big your buffer is) delay max but it might work for you.
It takes a few seconds for my projector to switch, and that option causes playback to start paused - which is better than starting before it switches imo.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling