Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th July 2014, 05:44   #27001  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
madshi, is it possible for you to add DX11 support again? When I use the web installer, it gives me an error saying that a newer version of DirectX has been detected on the system and it cannot proceed. I think there may be a link with DX9 and allowing NVIDIA to take over rendering.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can try or if you require more info. Thanks.
What version of Windows and what GPUs and driver version?
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 06:56   #27002  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
Yeah playing game work fine. [I know it work by checking GPU-Z graph that the games use nvidia gpu] DGDecodeNV doesn't work either, but I don't know whose fault it is.
Well, I don't really know what the problem is. You could try uploading a debug log, maybe I can see something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
I've tried on 24fps, 29.97fps, at 720p, 1080p videos, all had the same problem.
So you're saying your playing a 24fps movie and it ends up being played as 60fps? How do you know that it's played as 60fps? Do you let madVR switch the display mode? Is there a 24Hz display mode which madVR could switch to? Or are you playing at 60Hz? If you're playing at 60Hz, do you have smooth motion FRC turned on or off in madVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This was determined by analyzing the images. It isn't the same Lanczos3+AR that madVR uses but it looks fairly similar to it.
Correct. It's not as good as madVR's LanczosAR, though...

Quote:
madshi, is it possible for you to add DX11 support again?
The DX11 option in madVR always was just for presentation, not for rendering. Rendering has always been done in DX9, even with the DX11 option enabled. So having the DX11 option back would not help you. But even if it did: I'm not going to spend hours of my time bringing an option back just because *one* user has a broken DX9 installation. You can't honestly expect that!?

Quote:
When I use the web installer, it gives me an error saying that a newer version of DirectX has been detected on the system and it cannot proceed. I think there may be a link with DX9 and allowing NVIDIA to take over rendering.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can try or if you require more info. Thanks.
We've already concluded that DX9 is broken on your PC, and that it's not a madVR issue. Could you please stop asking for help about your DX9 installation problem in *this thread*? Your issue is not madVR related. So it doesn't belong into this thread. You have a broken DX9 installation and I've already told you that you either have to get DX9 working again somehow, and that you have to reinstall your PC. If you can't get DX9 working and don't want to reinstall your PC, you could try contacting Microsoft support or ask for help in some other thread/forum. This thread is for madVR development & bugs etc. This is not a general PC issue support thread. If EVR works and madVR does not, then you can come back here and ask for help. As long as EVR doesn't work, either, it can't be a bug in madVR, and as a result doesn't belong into this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iopq View Post
Hey madshi, not sure if you're aware of the problem of waking up from standby. I am using Windows 7 64 bit, MPC BE 32 bit (obviously), MadVR 0.87.9

When I resume a video after standby it doesn't play. Gives a Direct3D error or something.

I found a post of a user on XP complaining about the same issue: http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?showtopic=13646
"or something" is as unspecific as could be. Could you at least tell me the *exact* error message, please? And no, I'm not aware of this problem. It usually only occurred in XP, but not in newer OSs. Do you happen to have the "present several frames in advance" option disabled in the madVR exclusive mode settings?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 09:40   #27003  |  Link
mysterix

For what presenting frames in advance is needed? What will be if to disable it?

Last edited by mysterix; 27th July 2014 at 10:15.
mysterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 10:26   #27004  |  Link
iopq

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Well, I don't really know what the problem is. You could try uploading a debug log, maybe I can see something.

So you're saying your playing a 24fps movie and it ends up being played as 60fps? How do you know that it's played as 60fps? Do you let madVR switch the display mode? Is there a 24Hz display mode which madVR could switch to? Or are you playing at 60Hz? If you're playing at 60Hz, do you have smooth motion FRC turned on or off in madVR?

Correct. It's not as good as madVR's LanczosAR, though...

The DX11 option in madVR always was just for presentation, not for rendering. Rendering has always been done in DX9, even with the DX11 option enabled. So having the DX11 option back would not help you. But even if it did: I'm not going to spend hours of my time bringing an option back just because *one* user has a broken DX9 installation. You can't honestly expect that!?

We've already concluded that DX9 is broken on your PC, and that it's not a madVR issue. Could you please stop asking for help about your DX9 installation problem in *this thread*? Your issue is not madVR related. So it doesn't belong into this thread. You have a broken DX9 installation and I've already told you that you either have to get DX9 working again somehow, and that you have to reinstall your PC. If you can't get DX9 working and don't want to reinstall your PC, you could try contacting Microsoft support or ask for help in some other thread/forum. This thread is for madVR development & bugs etc. This is not a general PC issue support thread. If EVR works and madVR does not, then you can come back here and ask for help. As long as EVR doesn't work, either, it can't be a bug in madVR, and as a result doesn't belong into this thread.

"or something" is as unspecific as could be. Could you at least tell me the *exact* error message, please? And no, I'm not aware of this problem. It usually only occurred in XP, but not in newer OSs. Do you happen to have the "present several frames in advance" option disabled in the madVR exclusive mode settings?
Ah, I figured out the bug. When I hit a button to turn on screen in full screen mode (exclusive mode is off) when coming back from the screen turning off (automatically by Windows after x minutes), I get "creating Direct3D device failed (80070005)"
not from even standby, and only happens in full screen and doesn't happen when I just move the mouse

Last edited by iopq; 28th July 2014 at 08:39.
iopq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 16:40   #27005  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
madshi, is it possible for you to add DX11 support again? When I use the web installer, it gives me an error saying that a newer version of DirectX has been detected on the system and it cannot proceed. I think there may be a link with DX9 and allowing NVIDIA to take over rendering.

Did you apply any tweaks to your Windows installation, such as disabling UAC or disabling services? For example disabling the "Program Compatibility Assistant" service can cause trouble with DirectX installation.

Here is a link to the full DirectX installer (not web dl):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8109

Run "dxdiag.exe" to open DirectX diagnostics tool.

Some MS Fixit tools that you should run:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/games
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/vi...es_or_crashes/
Old 27th July 2014, 17:01   #27006  |  Link
innocenat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
How do I get debug log? [Note: I can't perform clean exit of media player, I need to kill it]
Old 27th July 2014, 17:45   #27007  |  Link
huhn

the "activate debug mode.bat" switches madVR to debug mode thsi creates a log on your desktop run it again to disable it these logs are huge very very very huge. and compress them!
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 04:21   #27008  |  Link
innocenat

Thanks, here's the log.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z madVR - log.7z (22.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 29th July 2014, 16:33   #27009  |  Link
innocenat

I just updated my driver to latest version, 340.52, and it still does not fix the problem. FYI.
Old 29th July 2014, 17:34   #27010  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

this might be OT (please let me know where else to put this), but whats the current CPU & GPU/graphic card you would need to play native 1080p stuff flawlessly with madvr (+lavfilters), with jinc or nnedi3 (128 tabs) for chroma upsampling (also for 1080p59/60 content. no scaling or image doubling involved though) AND have a rather silent system at the same time?

basically what cpu+gpu power is needed for that, but also doesnt create too much noise (fans etc.)?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 29th July 2014 at 17:37.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 17:46   #27011  |  Link
huhn

chroma on a 1080p source with 128 is a bit hard...
my r9 270 can't do this not even close so you need something big for this really big.

jinc 3 ar for chroma is a nothing hard to archive at all i can't even guess how little gpu power you need.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 17:58   #27012  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Hardware advice is OT for this thread.
Old 29th July 2014, 19:32   #27013  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Hardware advice is OT for this -thread.
alright, I opened a new thread here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...33#post1688333
Old 30th July 2014, 10:18   #27014  |  Link
ajp2k11

0.00000Hz and black screen

@Madshi or anyone who can help

Whenever I play a file in MPC-HC using MadVR I get a black screen with sound playing. I've had this problem a long time now but it's gotten worse and worse, not sure but I think my problems started with Win8. It used to be that I had to restart a few times before it would work or wait maybe 10-15s before it would play but lately no file plays ever. I reinstalled a fresh Win8.1, it was time anyway. Same problem!

However, if I press pause the first frame shows. If I press CTRL-J, play the file again and press pause I can see that it says "Display 0.00000Hz" and vsync interval unknown. If I try EVR Custom it says 0Hz too unless I enable vsync, then it shows the right refresh rate (well nearly).

I've tried all kinds of different settings, drivers and all combinations thereof but I can't figure out what's wrong. I mean it used to work, at least most of the time. I guess MadVR can't detect the display refresh but why? Reclock finds the correct refresh.

I'm using a laptop, with a 60/120Hz display, Win 8.1, AMD Radeon 6650M, Catalyst 14.7 WHQL right now but I've tried a lot of diffrent versions. Tried resetting MadVR to defaults, LAV to defaults etc.

Suggestions? Don't know what to try next...

All help appreciated!

EDIT: If I press WIN+P for presentation mode and select "Duplicate" it switches to 1024x768, 60Hz and MadVR works....?

Last edited by ajp2k11; 30th July 2014 at 11:07.
ajp2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 13:11   #27015  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp2k11 View Post
@Madshi or anyone who can help

Whenever I play a file in MPC-HC using MadVR I get a black screen with sound playing. I've had this problem a long time now but it's gotten worse and worse, not sure but I think my problems started with Win8. It used to be that I had to restart a few times before it would work or wait maybe 10-15s before it would play but lately no file plays ever. I reinstalled a fresh Win8.1, it was time anyway. Same problem!

However, if I press pause the first frame shows. If I press CTRL-J, play the file again and press pause I can see that it says "Display 0.00000Hz" and vsync interval unknown. If I try EVR Custom it says 0Hz too unless I enable vsync, then it shows the right refresh rate (well nearly).

I've tried all kinds of different settings, drivers and all combinations thereof but I can't figure out what's wrong. I mean it used to work, at least most of the time. I guess MadVR can't detect the display refresh but why? Reclock finds the correct refresh.

I'm using a laptop, with a 60/120Hz display, Win 8.1, AMD Radeon 6650M, Catalyst 14.7 WHQL right now but I've tried a lot of diffrent versions. Tried resetting MadVR to defaults, LAV to defaults etc.

All help appreciated!

EDIT: If I press WIN+P for presentation mode and select "Duplicate" it switches to 1024x768, 60Hz and MadVR works....?
I noted the issue you mentioned only happen with ATI/AMD GPU.
Nvidia and Intel GPUs don't have such black screen issue.

I tested them all......
JohnLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 13:20   #27016  |  Link
ajp2k11

Yes, ATI/AMD GPU... no switchable graphics. I can't be the only one with AMD GPU and Win 8.1 though. Maybe it's got something to do with my 120Hz LCD on my laptop... I have a laptop at work with switchable graphics AMD Firepro/Intel and MadVR works great on that one, that's Win 7 though and I can't recall having these problems when running Win 7 on this machine... maybe I did.

Last edited by ajp2k11; 30th July 2014 at 13:22.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:22   #27017  |  Link
ikakun

@ajp2k11

This is nothing to do with your problem but where did you get a Catalyst 14.7 WHQL? Catalyst 14.7 RC is what I only see in AMD's driver download site.
Old 30th July 2014, 18:42   #27018  |  Link
ajp2k11

Windows update, at least I assume it's 14.7 because it's dated july 2014 and it replaced the 14.4 Windows update version I had as a hidden update. I was uninstalling another driver I tested and this one popped up as new on WU (Win8.1)...
Old 30th July 2014, 21:02   #27019  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp2k11 View Post

All help appreciated!

It will not fix the cause of the problem, but something that might work as a work around...

Launch a video, pause it, right click on the screen, select filters, select madVR, edit settings, click on devices, click on your monitor, go into display modes, and in "list all display modes madVR may switch to:" type in the resolution and refresh rate combo(s) that work with your monitor. For the 1024x768 60hz example you gave the entry would be 768p60.

After making that change, exiting out of the video, and launching a video again. Does the video load correctly, or does the problem still occur?
Old 30th July 2014, 21:34   #27020  |  Link
ajp2k11

Normally under display modes in MadVR I write 1080p120, 1080p60 but that doesn't help. Is that what you mean? I just noticed that when I press WIN+P for presentation mode and select "Duplicate" it switches to 1024x768/60Hz and MadVR works...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling