Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th June 2005, 18:22   #1  |  Link
curious d

Stuttering on Extras only

Hi. I recently backed up my copy of Toy Story 2 and noticed that while the movie plays just fine, the extras stutter. I looked on this forum to see if this movie had any problems, didn't find such a problem. I noticed that others included the log file which I could not find (does one highlight the messages on the verbose mode?). The settings that I have changed were HC encoder on best mode with QLB matrix on both the movie, steal space 10% from extras (same with 33%) and iso mode (which for some reason didn't give me an iso file). Any thoughts as to what would cause a good movie, but stuttering extra? Thanks.
curious d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 05:57   #2  |  Link
curious d

I tried to encode with QuEnc as well and still got the stuttering in the extas only as well. I tried to back up Beauty and the Beast and perhaps because of the multiangle, the iso created was oversized, had blocking on certain chapters in the movie, and had stuttering on the extras again. Is this a Disney thing? The extras in ET was fine. I should perhaps mention that the stuttering is in the video only and the audo plays fine. Very strange. Anyone tried backing up these discs before and got the same problem? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 8th June 2005, 10:46   #3  |  Link
gizzin

Be more specific on your settings. Did you preprocess before encoding the movie? what version did you use of everything? Sounds like it could be your media, what brand media do you use? what model dvd player do you have? Does you audio get out of sync with the video because of the stuttering? Did you remove any audio or subtitle streams? Answer these questions and you'll be more helpful
gizzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2005, 19:18   #4  |  Link
curious d

Thanks. I'm using DVD-RB 0.93.2. After using DVD Decrypter, I have tried one click mode using HC encoder set at high quality, QLB matrix (also tried Kika Comic High), and I also tried QuEnc encoder. All languages except for English and the DTS files have been selected to be excluded. All the other settings were kept at the default settings. I'm actually creating the iso files and then playing them with PowerDVD (the DVD extras plays well from the DVD itself). The video does not seem out of synch with the audio; just video stuttering. My burner is a joint venture with LG and Hitachi that came with my Dell. If I were to burn it, it would be on a TDK DVD+RW or Fuji DVD+R (both of which have provided good burns before). Thanks for the help.

By the way, I think the multi-angle and/or interleaving stuff is supposed to be addressed by verion 1.0, right?

Is this enought information? Thanks again.

Last edited by curious d; 10th June 2005 at 07:49.
Old 14th June 2005, 19:38   #5  |  Link
curious d

Was the above post enough information? Thanks.
Old 20th June 2005, 17:21   #6  |  Link
curious d

Sorry for the bump, but I was wondering if anyone had run into this problem with Disney videos? I'm backing up my discs in anticipation of my son wanting to watch these over and over again. Thanks.
Old 20th June 2005, 17:54   #7  |  Link
jptheripper

only thing i can guess is the bitrate on the extras was way to low. The special edition of beauty and the beast has 3 full movies on it, currently if you do a full backup the bitrates are horrible. IF the bitrates go too low you can have these issues
jptheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2005, 18:58   #8  |  Link
SAPSTAR
QMatOP/AutoQMatEnc Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper
only thing i can guess is the bitrate on the extras was way to low. The special edition of beauty and the beast has 3 full movies on it, currently if you do a full backup the bitrates are horrible. IF the bitrates go too low you can have these issues
Hmmm are u sure ?!?! Usually low bitrates bring blocking...but not stuttering, the "stuttering" effect was solved month ago when jdobbs changed the max bitrate according to the audio.....
@curiousd : Did you try the HalfD1/HalfSpace for extras ?
For Donations : https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...harset=UTF%2d8
SAPSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2005, 03:22   #9  |  Link
curious d

I guess the blocking is from the three movies on Beauty and the Beast. Is the fix that jdobbs put in automatic or something we have to switch on? I kept Toy Story's extras at 10% and at 33% with the same result. I don't think I tried Half D1/Half Space. What is that?
Old 28th June 2005, 05:48   #10  |  Link
curious d

Sorry again for the bump. I was just wondering if anyone had an answer to my query. I get the feeling that no one else has run into my problem or no one has backed up the same movies I have mentioned on this thread. It doesn't seem to be a problem that will be addressed in version 1.00 since some have suggested that the problem was addressed a while ago.
Old 28th June 2005, 15:32   #11  |  Link
borgraf

* How's the quality on the extras, do they look ok apart from the stuttering ?

* What region is your Toy Story 2 ?

* Where does the stuttering occur (PC prog, standalone player) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious d
Bueller? Bueller?
He seems to have the day off..
Frye? Frye?

Last edited by borgraf; 2nd July 2005 at 18:01.
borgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2005, 00:40   #12  |  Link
curious d

The stuttering was only with the extras and throughout the entire extras. The still frames looked pretty good. The disc is Region 1. But perhaps with the newer version, the movie will look better.

I just tested Beauty and the Beast with DVD-RB Pro 1.0 RC2 and the extras did not stutter on this disc. Further, the blocking was better with this version (using one click, best quality HC encoder and Kika Comic High matrix). There was still alot of artifact around the lines of the animation, but I'm now wondering if that is actually a product of the three versions (well, 2 1/2 versions) that Disney packed into one DL disc. With the amount of compression to fit it onto a regular DVD-5 disc, what quality should I be expecting with DVD-RB with this movie?
Old 11th July 2005, 00:42   #13  |  Link
Rockas
Ridendo Castigat Mores

You can always use the new feature on the Rebuilder's Matrix Editor to make quick tests with other Matrices.
Check it here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=97114

www.dvdrebuilder.com
RME
Rockas Software
Rockas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2005, 11:38   #14  |  Link
curious d

Thanks. I actually tried this new function. It looks great. I didn't really use it too much because the default screen resolution makes it difficult to see the artifacts I'm seeing at 1280x1024. I didn't use it long enough to enough to see if there was a switch of sorts to change resolution. By the way, does the CG on one of the matrices options stand for Computer Generation (used for Toy Story type movies)?

I backed up Toy Story 2 which has only one version of the movie. It does not have nearly as much artifact as seen with Beauty and the Beast. And hurrah, the stuttering on the extras is now gone! Has anyone else tried to back up Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin or Lion King SE? I'm wondering if the artifact is due the amount of compression needed.
Old 11th July 2005, 13:02   #15  |  Link
Rockas
Ridendo Castigat Mores

Quote:
I didn't really use it too much because the default screen resolution makes it difficult to see the artifacts I'm seeing at 1280x1024
Are you talking about the preview window?
You must encode the segment then you must doubleclick on the bottom middle list to launch the encoded segment with the player you defined on setup dialog.

Quote:
By the way, does the CG on one of the matrices options stand for Computer Generation (used for Toy Story type movies)?
I can't tell you for sure... but it looks like - I'm not the author of the Matrices
You can always search for an oppinion here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75828
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...6&page=1&pp=40
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54147
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72564

The "perfect" matrix for a specific movie, can make all the difference.
But it will give you a lot of work too

www.dvdrebuilder.com
RME
Rockas Software
Rockas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2005, 18:38   #16  |  Link
curious d

I see. I was using it incorrectly. Just like a guy...try to operate something without reading the manual. You are right. It will take more work for the right matrix. QmatOP takes a long time on my computer too. I just don't know a way to shorten the work. Is there a methodical way to determining which matrix would yield good results for a movie? I figured Kika Comic High would be better than the default HC matrix because of previous threads, but I wouldn't know what would be better for Non-CG animation like Beauty and the Beast, Lion King or Aladdin. By the way, can anyone hazard a guess to my theory about the artifact seen on Beauty and the Beast (about the level of compression for 2 1/2 movies on one disc)? Thanks again for all the help.