Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st December 2017, 15:11   #47881  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoS View Post
Hi ,Thank you for all developers madVR

My device Intel - NUC6CAYH

I made all the recommended Settings in (NUC + MPC-HC + madVR) i Follow guide in (AVSForum)

But I have a problem When you open a movie

Small screen madVR working Good But when you show the Full screen

The image is abnormal I fell Like too too much Judder

look at this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/poel13lspo...D9%A5.mp4?dl=0

This problem appears when used madVR

When using the default Filter , No problems .
I dont think you system has the power to run MADVR at whatever settings you have it set to maybe.

A few things to check.

- Are you outputting in 1080p or 4k?
- try setting all scaling to lanczos
- Make sure you've got your display modes set correctly, if you are not
using 4k try just putting 1080p23 down in the display modes.

Also, play a movie and press CONTROL+J and take screen shot (F5), post the results.

Last edited by mclingo; 21st December 2017 at 15:14.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 23:19   #47882  |  Link
xabregas

So whats the difference between NGU Sharp high and NGU Antialias high?

NGU Antialias still the best chroma or Sharp is the real deal?
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 00:16   #47883  |  Link
ryrynz

AA is for lines and jagged edges it's much softer than sharp.

Keep with AA for chroma it's probably the most natural and offers fast performance for low/medium and high settings. Very high is imo a waste of resources with chroma and offered little benefit.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 00:58   #47884  |  Link
AttackSharply

Just wanted to say thanks for the help/input everyone.
AttackSharply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 03:47   #47885  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Thanks Madshi, that's great news for HDR. Do you know if they also fixed the bit depth issue with a custom res (not possible to select 12bits when a custom res is selected) in any driver after 385.28? 12bits can be applied if you switch to a standard frame rate, but it's greyed out with the 23p custom res (displayed as 24p in the nVidia panel). This is one of the reasons why I'm still with 385.28, as it's the last version that fully works.
I posted this about a month ago in my guide. Thought maybe I was the only one. Thanks for the 385.28 tip. I've been on 385.69. Before I install it, any detriments? I remember around that time there were 3D inconsistencies and if so I'll forgo the custom res until a fix.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 04:30   #47886  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
ok, lets go through a process of elimination, start by providing some details about your setup.

Windows version:
Windows desktop resolution:
Pixel: eg, 4:4:4 Full rgb or 4:2:0 YBCR
TV details, 4k?
HDMI cable speed, 18gbps?
Madvr colour space setting, 16-235 or 0-255
Graphics card model:
Graphics card dynamic range setting:
do you use a receiver or is the PC connected direct to the TV?
Do you have a 4k bluray player, does it do the same thing using the same cable and HDMI port?
Pixel 4:4:4 Game Console or HDMI 1 Inputs tv setting Full RGB Set in TV settings ( Black Level LOW) , Nvidia set Limited
TV LG OLED 4K 3D 55C6
HDMI Cable tried 2 Monoprice Premium HDMI cables 1.5 Meter and also some brand that cost 38$ which is Highest possible, the same.
MadVR 0-255 which has the issues but HDR looks amazing, 16-235 the white dots disappear but the quality is lowered by 50%.
INNO3D 1080GTX Default Color Settings
No Reciever, Straight to the TV HDMI1 , I tried also HDMI2 , it's the same.
Don't have Bluray Player, downloading movies from the internet.

This is what happening for me in movies. but this guys posted for his PS4 , it's the same issue.

https://youtu.be/IeFN4XT1pJ8

EDIT : found the Issue and the FIX

I think I've found the issue..

I need to change the NVidia settings from Default Color to NVidia Color Settings then choose YCbCr422 12bit Limited . Then the HDR movies works perfect with 0-255 on the TV. When using the Default it uses automatically 12 bit RGB ... so it does some weird conversion in the mode which causes issue with white pixels . I need to choose every time I watch HDR to put 12 bit YCbCr 422 so it won't try to use RGB.. is there any other way to that ?? so many manual things to change.......

With the PS4 it's the same thing. I don't have PS4, but from the youtube video I can understand the issue so it's not standalone part to the TV.... the TV doesn't go into the right mode properly . but there it's a game, but still you can play games with 12 bit RGB . HDR needs to be YCbCr 422 . so I think that's the issue in mind.

Last edited by x7007; 22nd December 2017 at 07:51.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 04:41   #47887  |  Link
YGPMOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
What? you may as well run audio through graphics card, they all provide hdmi audio drivers. What model of "DAC" is this? Sounds weird.
Maybe I was not clear (english it's not my language): the HDMI output (both audio and video) goes from the graphic card to the external DAC, that process only the audio (decoding all the formats but dolby Atmos) and leaves the video untouched from its HDMI output, but with the resolution limit of 1080p.

So, (assuming that the DAC is able to perform a downscaling from higher resolutions, otherwise the next part is nosense) I can't connect a 2k or 4k display to his HDMI output without having an upscaling from the display processor (worst than the one madVR provides) after the downscaling of the DAC.

In few words: GPU 2k (or 4k) -> DAC 1080p -> display + upscaling.

Using the second HDMI output I can go directly to the display at its maximum resolution and to the DAC just for the audio, without using its HDMI out (loosing, as said, the exclusive mode in madVR).

However, the DAC (I should had say preamp) is an Optoma AVP18
Old 22nd December 2017, 06:21   #47888  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I just checked it 2 weeks ago, when you first started to talk about it:
yes, you need FSE on Win8 for 10bit, and it only works with new path not the old path using dx9, and using dx10.
Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:39   #47889  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Pixel 4:4:4 Game Console or HDMI 1 Inputs tv setting Full RGB Set in TV settings ( Black Level LOW) , Nvidia set Limited
TV LG OLED 4K 3D 55C6
HDMI Cable tried 2 Monoprice Premium HDMI cables 1.5 Meter and also some brand that cost 38$ which is Highest possible, the same.
MadVR 0-255 which has the issues but HDR looks amazing, 16-235 the white dots disappear but the quality is lowered by 50%.

This is what happening for me in movies. but this guys posted for his PS4 , it's the same issue.

I need to change the NVidia settings from Default Color to NVidia Color Settings then choose YCbCr422 12bit Limited . Then the HDR movies works perfect with 0-255 on the TV. When using the Default it uses automatically 12 bit RGB ... so it does some weird conversion in the mode which causes issue with white pixels . I need to choose every time I watch HDR to put 12 bit YCbCr 422 so it won't try to use RGB.. is there any other way to that ?? so many manual things to change.......

With the PS4 it's the same thing. I don't have PS4, but from the youtube video I can understand the issue so it's not standalone part to the TV.... the TV doesn't go into the right mode properly . but there it's a game, but still you can play games with 12 bit RGB . HDR needs to be YCbCr 422 . so I think that's the issue in mind.

Use another HDMI cable!! Your problem is a typically HDMI cable problem. The data transfer it too high for your HDMI cable. Everything tweak that lowers the data speed will fix your problem, but this is not what you want. Try another cable.

Last edited by HillieSan; 22nd December 2017 at 09:42.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:35   #47890  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I posted this about a month ago in my guide. Thought maybe I was the only one. Thanks for the 385.28 tip. I've been on 385.69. Before I install it, any detriments? I remember around that time there were 3D inconsistencies and if so I'll forgo the custom res until a fix.
No downside as long as you don't need a more recent driver for games or whatever reason. For 3D, you need the workaround I posted earlier in the thread. That's the only way to get 100% reliable 3D playback with nVidia as far as I can see. 3D also needs FSE, at least here.

You have to enable 3D manually before every playback to be sure it's on. I use a batch file launched from my iPad when I select the 3D button in iRule. It enables 3D on nVidia using MCE Controller and selects my 3D calibration on the projector. The register file added by Madshi after we had this discussion isn't enough for me, but it might work for you.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 22nd December 2017 at 10:37.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:01   #47891  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

@x7007: You are wrong.
HillieSan is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
Use another HDMI cable!! Your problem is a typically HDMI cable problem. The data transfer it too high for your HDMI cable. Everything tweak that lowers the data speed will fix your problem, but this is not what you want. Try another cable.
What you are seeing is a very common issue with HDMI cables that can't handle higher bandwidths. Try another HMDI cable.

btw for best quality, you should set your TV Black Level to high, nvidia and madVR to full 0-255 and then calibrate brightness and contrast on your TV.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:22   #47892  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
TV LG OLED 4K 3D 55C6

Hi, I did say a while back I also got white dots when there were bandwidth issues, this is one of the reasons I run my HTPC at 4:2:0, I dont play any games on it so this I find is the most convenient option as I can just leave it as this and it works well for everything without having to change any settings depending on what i'm doing.

Glad you got it sorted.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:26   #47893  |  Link
mclingo

I dont think the white dots is the cables, i'm using these decent cables end to end - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JuicEBitz...53.m2749.l2649.

I get these sometimes when playing HDR movies at 4:4: 4k@24hz, if I drop to 4:2:0 its fine.

I guess it could be an issue with LG 4k TV's maybe, or my AMP but they both should support the current HDMI 2 specs.

Last edited by mclingo; 22nd December 2017 at 11:42.
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:46   #47894  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I dont think the white dots is the cables
Don't guess, try a few cables.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:23   #47895  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Don't guess, try a few cables.
he has I think.
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:13   #47896  |  Link
el Filou

The thing is, if it was a problem with the TV processing it would manifest itself in a more consistent way than random white dots. For instance, if it was a problem with processing brightness values or something, it wouldn't be random white dots it would be whole zones of the picture affected and it would not flicker even on a fixed image but be stable. Truly random white dots has been a symptom of bandwidth or signal integrity issues since HDMI 1.0
Even if it persists after trying many cables, it could also be an issue with the TV's inputs or the graphics card's output. Did you also try other HDMI inputs and outputs (and multiple cables on each)?
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:33   #47897  |  Link
d3rd3vil

it is time. We need Dolby Vision support more than ever!
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 20:09   #47898  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
Do we really? I would argue that madvr can already make an image better than some of these pre processed Dolby vision tv shows by processing non Dolby vision video.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 20:18   #47899  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
Keep dreaming
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:38   #47900  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Do we really? I would argue that madvr can already make an image better than some of these pre processed Dolby vision tv shows by processing non Dolby vision video.
The issue is Dolby discs, I have a few Dolby Vision UHD blurays and they don't look as good as they could.

There is a second video track included in the stream, it is only 1920x1080 and black and white. It looks like extra information for shadows and highlights but nothing we have now can use it. They still look pretty good in HDR10 fallback mode though.

I have been unable to get HDR content to look as good in SDR mode as it does in HDR mode, at least on my OLED TV. It can look pretty good but putting the TV into HDR mode does improve highlights, shadows too but highlights are the biggest change.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling