Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th February 2019, 23:57   #321  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Deep Color is enabled. Screen is cut off by maybe 1/2" on all sides. Yes, I've uninstalled with DDU and reinstalled. All my cables were bought when I got the TV last summer and are all certified HDMI 2.0. It's the weirdest issue I've ever seen tbh. The fact that it works fine with PC mode enabled is freaking bizarre.
i get this on my gen ef9500 oled but only when my AR is set to 16:9, mine is always set to just scan but i'm always in bluray mode, not in PC mode.

I dont use PC mode though as it disables trumotion which i use a small amount of to clear up panning shots.

did you say this only happens when going through your receiver, its not clear, if you bypass is it ok?
Old 5th February 2019, 00:20   #322  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

That fully digital TVs still even have underscan/overscan is totally bizzare to me. When would you ever want to use that? All digital sources should want 1:1 pixel mapping.
Old 5th February 2019, 00:26   #323  |  Link
huhn

you are not by any chance using 4096x2160?

overscan is still a default issue with bad brands like grundig at least the last time i checked them.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 00:39   #324  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That fully digital TVs still even have underscan/overscan is totally bizzare to me. When would you ever want to use that? All digital sources should want 1:1 pixel mapping.
THIS! It's freaking ridiculous.

Uh, anyway, I managed to fix it. I don't really know how to be honest as I was messing with every damn option I could find but eventually whatever I did to the TV made it work properly. But I'm with nev....this shouldn't even BE an issue at this point!
Old 19th February 2019, 16:46   #325  |  Link
alexnt

Does any one use madvr with amd?? If so what is the usage of cpu and gpu(in tools like core temp and gpuz, not in task manager). I believe that cpu takes an amount of load from the gpu in decoding and so multiplier never goes under x35. Gpu has an amount of load but not that much as I remember some time ago. Gpu clock is aroung 500mhz and cpu 3500 when playing a movie. I believe this is weird.

I posted iin this thread by mistake. Mods can delete it. I posted the same in the other madvr thread

Last edited by alexnt; 19th February 2019 at 16:49.
alexnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 03:37   #326  |  Link
Alexkral

Does anyone know if there is any way to avoid any color space conversion or transfer function for a Rec709 source until it reaches the screen using a PC? Obviously not with Windows, but I was wondering if something like Ubuntu + Vooya would work.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 10:53   #327  |  Link
huhn

a PC doesn't do a colorspace conversation if it doesn't have to.

if you are talking about stuff like 4:2:0 and RGB not even the HDMI standard can avoid it.
Old 20th February 2019, 18:54   #328  |  Link
Alexkral

I think that HDMI supports Rec709 YCbCr, but at least in Windows the GPU is always expecting srgb, not sure if in Linux it's the same.
Old 20th February 2019, 19:10   #329  |  Link
huhn

you are overthinking this topic.
GPU handles bt 709 BT 2020 totally fine.

sRGB is pretty much BT 709 with a different gamma anyway. so nothing has to be done. it needs to be converted to RGB a step that has to be done anyway.

films are pretty much all YCbCr 4:2:0 HDMI can't send this there is an exception but that not so useful. it needs at least 4:2:2. instead of 4:2:2 upscaling PC prefer RGB that's it.
Old 20th February 2019, 20:05   #330  |  Link
janos666

I played around a little with the madVR settings after a long time (I settled on some adequately-looking setup the last time I changed some hardware [went from a Radeon 290X to a GTX1070] and left it untouched for more than a year) and was surprised to see that DXVA image upscaling (which also bring in DXVA chroma upscaling) alters the colors even when I am looking at a 4:4:4 test video at 100% image zoom (so actual scaling shouldn't even happen at all, although I guess it's normal if the image is still passed to the scaler and it still processes it and thus any potential errors are added regardless). I didn't think it's still an issue after so many years. Is this normal or a bug in certain driver versions? I currently have 418.91 installed on Win10 x64 1809.
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 23:11   #331  |  Link
Alexkral

Well, what I really wanted to know is if because of that slight gamma difference the software made some adjustment between the decoded linear Rec709 and the linear srgb before encoding it, but from your answer and from what I'm reading it does not seem that way. But that should mean an additional difference to the system gamma, which is already supposed to be different?
Old 21st February 2019, 01:00   #332  |  Link
huhn

because sRGB may be a PC spec that doesn't mean it is used by consumer.

the GPU driver take it as it is. so madVR output bt 709 and this image is send as is to the display without changing the gamma.

to get sRGB to work you need program that use sRGB AND a screen calibrated to sRGB.
Old 21st February 2019, 09:32   #333  |  Link
Alexkral

Thanks, I think I understand now how it works.
Old 23rd February 2019, 17:52   #334  |  Link
maxkill

Hey everyone. So I have a strange problem. Using win10 and after some update lagg seem to have started. If I remove the MadVR gpu 3d on 4k material idles around 45% at all times (seen in taskmanager). But as soon as installing MadVR even with default settings it idles at 100% causing lagg.

Also I'm not sure when choosing ' install.bat '(latest version incl 64bit) if it actually installs the 64bit or the 32bit since both are in the installation folder, I'm not given a choice to install either 32 or 64, so maybe it just installs the 32bit?

Anyway, both mpc hc and mpc be 64bit players show the exact same anomaly described, with MadVR idles at 100% gpu.
edit: computer is high end i7 and rtx2070 16gbram.

Any solutions?

Last edited by maxkill; 23rd February 2019 at 17:55.
maxkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 15:23   #335  |  Link
huhn

what does it say under GPU engine? legacy overlay by any chance?
Old 24th February 2019, 18:56   #336  |  Link
maxkill

I solved it by deleting mashi in regedit and running restore to default in madvr folder then I could run madvr on low performance hit again, can now pretty much max out everything looks insane on 4k man.
Old 24th February 2019, 21:11   #337  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkill View Post
I solved it by deleting mashi in regedit
WHAT????? Now who's going to release awesome video rendering software???!?!?! LMAO
Old 6th March 2019, 19:05   #338  |  Link
maxkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
WHAT????? Now who's going to release awesome video rendering software???!?!?! LMAO
It seemed to be the top DXVA option I had unchecked in 'Trade quality for performance' tab. As soon as checking this performance went from 100 to 60-65%. Evrything else unchecked.
Old 6th March 2019, 21:56   #339  |  Link
Asmodian

Don't use NGU very high for chroma upscaling then. Maybe medium would work, since it seems like you don't have the performance to be able to use NGU very high.
Old 8th March 2019, 04:14   #340  |  Link
maxkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Don't use NGU very high for chroma upscaling then. Maybe medium would work, since it seems like you don't have the performance to be able to use NGU very high.
I have 2070 rtx. Not sure if it's enough then. Medium with no DXVA looks better?