Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2006, 12:04   #681  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

well... it seems we're getting rid of a lot of stuff and that can be only a good thing
Old 7th March 2006, 13:21   #682  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@max-holz: I'm still wondering, you have one machine, I have two (different manufacturers and completely different types).. have you ever tried it on another machine or tried disabling HyperThreading? There's plenty of apps that act a bit weird on HT CPUs. Also, did the x264 pause ever work on 1.1 builds? I used a completely different suspension there.. I kept a thread that reads x264's output and suspended that thread. It should not make any difference (in fact I've been using MREs in my thesis project that runs on a Pocket PC because there never was any Thread.Suspend in the .NET CF - it works like a charm and a PDA architecture is a lot more sensible towards resource management and timing than a regular PC), but I'd still consider it interesting.

Also keep in mind that there is no way to suspend a process. Even W32 only has an API to suspend threads, and it's considered unsafe, so the best way to make an application stop dead in its tracks is trick it into not processing any further, which can often be achieved by simply stop reading its stdout and stderr. It does not always work, and some apps just continue running (mp4box will stop until it starts with the subs.. then it will just go on doing its thing.. but if you pause before, it actually pauses, mp4creator cannot be made to stop.. it simply goes on and on and on which is no surprise since it has essentially no output).

Quote:
it seems we're getting rid of a lot of stuff
If you could see me developing... I don't need that anymore so let's delete it, that is too static, let's scrap it.. methods generally are getting a lot smaller but unfortunately I also have to add quite a bit of new stuff. And getting from the codec to the ideal output type given the target container is going to be a major PITA.
Old 7th March 2006, 13:28   #683  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
It does not always work, and some apps just continue running (mp4box will stop until it starts with the subs.. then it will just go on doing its thing.. but if you pause before, it actually pauses, mp4creator cannot be made to stop.. it simply goes on and on and on which is no surprise since it has essentially no output).
Does we really need "Pause" feature in MeGUI? I beleive it's enought jus set priority to Idle...
Old 7th March 2006, 13:38   #684  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Old 7th March 2006, 14:29   #685  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Does we really need "Pause" feature in MeGUI?
I've never had the need, but it comes practically for free the way it's done now so I see no compelling reason to remove it. And it seems to work for everybody but one or two people.
Old 7th March 2006, 14:42   #686  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I've never had the need, but it comes practically for free the way
Wrong. You need time to support it && interact with users to anwer to questions about non-working pause button...
Old 7th March 2006, 15:39   #687  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

that just shows we need an FAQ I'm not going to look into what max reported since it only happens on his box.. without reproducability, what's there to fix? And you may have noticed that some jobprocessors don't do anything when you call pause on them because they just cannot be stopped by stopping stdout/stderr reading.. and I haven't even heard anyone complaining.. fast jobs are generally much less of a problem.
Old 7th March 2006, 17:13   #688  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

@berrinam

create mp4/x264

DVD input DAR 16:9 (1.778) PAL
retain anamorphic res and set SAR

output res 320, 192 - suggested resolution
with crop using Lanczos (sharp)

going by the display of mpc/ffdshow

both versions say 320x192 for input & output size

but

megui version: SAR 47/20, DAR: 47/12 for input/output ratio

yamp version (with forced input PAR 16/9 pal): SAR 16/11, DAR: 80/33 for input/output ratio

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC

Last edited by cc979; 7th March 2006 at 17:19.
Old 7th March 2006, 17:31   #689  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

thought mention this too

using autoencode
do you have set the audio output filename manually, as it does have one automaticly on selecting input file

but here it says audio input/output types are incompatible

Old 7th March 2006, 19:41   #690  |  Link
Raithmir

0.2.3.2107 still two previous bugs I've mentioned before...

1) I've created my own audio encoding profiles, if I load my ac3 audio then select a profile from the drop down box, clicking on queue give an error "audio input/output types are incompatible". I have to click on config, then on ok without changing anything, adding it to the queue then works fine.

2) On the main input tab, select your video profile, and click on config. The profile box on the configuration window isn't populated, then clicking ok on the configuration window blanks out the profile selection when you return to the main window.

I see a post from berriman suggesting this is intentional behaviour. In my opinion this should not be the case (although I expect someone to post saying yes it is and thats the end of it).
Old 7th March 2006, 19:48   #691  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithmir
0.2.3.2107 still two previous bugs I've mentioned before...

1) I've created my own audio encoding profiles, if I load my ac3 audio then select a profile from the drop down box, clicking on queue give an error "audio input/output types are incompatible". I have to click on config, then on ok without changing anything, adding it to the queue then works fine.
I've confirmed this. opening up the config dialog and closing it fixes the issue. however we shouldn't have to do that. so this is a bug.

Quote:
2) On the main input tab, select your video profile, and click on config. The profile box on the configuration window isn't populated, then clicking ok on the configuration window blanks out the profile selection when you return to the main window.

I see a post from berriman suggesting this is intentional behaviour. In my opinion this should not be the case (although I expect someone to post saying yes it is and thats the end of it).
I cannot verify this. the codec profiles work perfectly for me. when I change the settings inside and come back to the main screen the profile is gone but the new settings remain, this is intentional as doom9 stated.
Old 7th March 2006, 22:15   #692  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
it's an intentional behaviour.
i agree with you though... it should not be like that.
Old 10th March 2006, 15:13   #693  |  Link
sp@rrow

If to create d2v project in Megui - and in "DGIndex Project Creator" to specify "On completion load files" - that in adjustments of audio of coding - the delay is not considered. To consider a delay - it is necessary to open a new ac3 file.

I apologize for the English - I from Russia :-))
Old 10th March 2006, 15:21   #694  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
it's an intentional behaviour.
No.. it's an error on my part when I refactored a bunch of stuff prior to my last commit. And I already outlined how it should all work. Feel free to fix the parts that do not interfere with upcoming refactoring (I pointed those out previously).
Old 11th March 2006, 11:50   #695  |  Link
sillKotscha
what's this for?

a fatal error occurs during the following scenario...

if I choose the video_profile HQ-Insane and than click on the x264 codec config button, the following error appears:

that does not happen with any other video_profil.

I'm testing latest x264 revision r467 with included megui svn edition v.0.2.3.2108

is that reproducible or just a one man scenario?

Edit: just a sidenote... no avs script is loaded nor a video output is specified, I have just opened megui, choose a video profile (in that case HQ-Insane) and hit the config button

Last edited by sillKotscha; 11th March 2006 at 11:53.
Old 11th March 2006, 11:57   #696  |  Link
Tima

I get this error too.
Old 11th March 2006, 12:39   #697  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

never use an svn build with a non svn profile.. both x264 svn and megui svn only support svn features.. most notably there's no subme 7, and your profile includes subme 7:
<SubPelRefinement>6</SubPelRefinement>

That's what causes the problem.
Old 11th March 2006, 18:31   #698  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

preview crops, but no resize first

on MeGUI 0.2.3.2108 using avs script creator

i open a d2v retain anamorphic, autocrop
then hit preview

it shows the correct autocrop size, but it does'nt resize first is the normal function ?

Old 12th March 2006, 06:34   #699  |  Link
sysKin

Quote:
My workaround was to open the audio again. And again if it still happens. Thanks for a better workaround.

Now, I have another bug here: Queue sometimes does not proceed to next item, at random. I have "autostart queue" checked and the following actions will sometimes reproduce it, sometimes not:
1. Start video encoding, and when it encodes set up audio and enqueue that. A warning will show up, new item will be added to queue. After video finishes, audio remains at "waiting" state and does not start.
2. Make an "automatic 2-pass" video encoding. Second pass is added to the queue but might not start after 1st pass finishes...

The chance for this bug happening seems to be ~50%, more or less.
Old 12th March 2006, 07:14   #700  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Without looking at the code syskin( I have no idea how auto start queue works ) it almost seems like it loads all the files into a array( I lack a better word for it) and anything added after that is excluded from the autostart sequence. If that's how it works then I would imagine that to either be a real bug or a intended feature.

The second one however I have never seen happen, I've done close to 100 test encodes since I picked up MeGUI. does this happen with any particular codec?
Closed Thread