Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th April 2011, 05:45   #1  |  Link
uridylylator

Scenarist basic blu-ray without menus

I'm trying to make a simple BD without menus that just plays from the beginning. I added a Movie Object to First Play and also to Top Menu, and then created a Title with the video clip but how do I link it all together?
uridylylator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 13:06   #2  |  Link
dvdboy

There should be a link button on the toolbar when you have the Scenario Editor selected - you want the JUMP command in the drop down list.
dvdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 14:51   #3  |  Link
nixo

From http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134402

9.1. Drag the video files onto stream,( this will create a playlist and a clip.)
9.2. Drag the audio files onto the clip (be careful with the track order)
10. Click on the Scenario editor tab
11. Select First Playback then right click on it and select Set movie object.
12. Do the Same for top menu.
13. Now drag the playlist onto both MO#1 this will create a nice tree structure.

--
Nikolaj

Last edited by nixo; 12th April 2011 at 14:53.
nixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 21:44   #4  |  Link
rik1138

Unless you trying to learn Scenarist a little, tsMuxer is _MUCH_ easier for just making a single-title straight play disc. I use Scenarist daily, but if I need a single video disc, tsMuxer gets used. Drop in video/audio, click 'blu ray structure' and hit go.
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 23:28   #5  |  Link
uridylylator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixo View Post
From http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134402

9.1. Drag the video files onto stream,( this will create a playlist and a clip.)
9.2. Drag the audio files onto the clip (be careful with the track order)
10. Click on the Scenario editor tab
11. Select First Playback then right click on it and select Set movie object.
12. Do the Same for top menu.
13. Now drag the playlist onto both MO#1 this will create a nice tree structure.

--
Nikolaj
Thanks, I tried that but when I mux, it finishes in a few seconds and the resulting BDMV is only 34MB (should be closer to 500MB). I'm trying to make a BD3D, btw, which may complicate things. I created the mvc's in Cinevision.
Any idea what I'm missing here?
Old 13th April 2011, 10:03   #6  |  Link
rik1138

Did you try playing it anyway? You have to mount it with a virtual image mounter that is part of the program. Scenarist 5.5 (or later) doesn't actually mux out a full disc image, but creates a 'virtual' image with files that point back to the source video files. This is to save muxing time, but doesn't actually layout a real disc image. There's another step involved to get a real disc image (and it will be an image file, not a folder structure. You'd have to mount that with an image mounter, or burn it to disc).

I haven't done this since the software was in beta, and it was kind of a pain in the ass to do. I assume they've made it at least marginally better when it was officially launched, but I haven't built a 3D disc with the retail version of the software... I can try it out tomorrow though and see if I can figure out the final steps. There should be a guide/walkthrough from Sonic (or whatever they call themselves these days) that came with the software. Look in the install folder for documentation...

Sorry I can't remember details, been a while since I did it, but I think creating a tiny mux is the expected behavior...
Old 13th April 2011, 19:08   #7  |  Link
lutinor

All scenarist video tutorial :

http://www.reykroona.com/?page_id=35
lutinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 19:59   #8  |  Link
uridylylator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik1138 View Post
Did you try playing it anyway? You have to mount it with a virtual image mounter that is part of the program. Scenarist 5.5 (or later) doesn't actually mux out a full disc image, but creates a 'virtual' image with files that point back to the source video files. This is to save muxing time, but doesn't actually layout a real disc image. There's another step involved to get a real disc image (and it will be an image file, not a folder structure. You'd have to mount that with an image mounter, or burn it to disc).

I haven't done this since the software was in beta, and it was kind of a pain in the ass to do. I assume they've made it at least marginally better when it was officially launched, but I haven't built a 3D disc with the retail version of the software... I can try it out tomorrow though and see if I can figure out the final steps. There should be a guide/walkthrough from Sonic (or whatever they call themselves these days) that came with the software. Look in the install folder for documentation...

Sorry I can't remember details, been a while since I did it, but I think creating a tiny mux is the expected behavior...
This software still feels like it's in beta. It didn't even ship with a proper 5.5 manual! (still 5.0) In fact, it's even listed as a "known issue" that they didn't update the manual.

Virtual image mounter?

Do you mean the Scenarist QC utility? I've tried that and it wouldn't play.

I got this error:
UserOp: Play Request
Playback: Starting First Play Title
Playback: Starting Playlist 000
Stream: Primary Video: None
Error: Disc Read Error: m2ts file
NaviCmd: Branch Command, Operator: Play PL
Operands:
1) 0 (Immediate)

Looking at the BDMV folder from the undersized mux, there aren't any m2ts files.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:18   #9  |  Link
lutinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uridylylator View Post
This software still feels like it's in beta. It didn't even ship with a proper 5.5 manual! (still 5.0) In fact, it's even listed as a "known issue" that they didn't update the manual.

Virtual image mounter?

Do you mean the Scenarist QC utility? I've tried that and it wouldn't play.

I got this error:
UserOp: Play Request
Playback: Starting First Play Title
Playback: Starting Playlist 000
Stream: Primary Video: None
NaviCmd: Branch Command, Operator: Play PL
Operands:
1) 0 (Immediate)

Looking at the BDMV folder from the undersized mux, there aren't any m2ts files.
Why do you use Scenarist ? Use netblender dostudio, it's very easy and you won't need to learn during hours before making something decent
Old 14th April 2011, 04:49   #10  |  Link
rik1138

Player compatibility would be a strong reason, also studio acceptance... The only disc I've seen from Netblender's 3D app crashed in two players, and didn't play 3D properly in the other... And this was the demo disc Netblender gave away to show off their product... I assume it's probably better now, but I couldn't even get a response out of anyone at Netblender as to why their demo disc didn't play correctly, so with that kind of support expectation I wouldn't bother with it. Despite the frequent complaining about Sonic support, I have never had a problem with them and usually get answers within 24 hours, frequently the same day... And the major studios will not use Netblender, so it's not even an option for me... Netblender is Java only (although I believe they had to implement HDMV mode for PS3 3D compatibility), not everyone wants Java menus on their disc. There's really no reason to use Java menus for a simple style disc (well, maybe the graphics dithering issue...).

For HDMV, I assume it's abstraction layer programming, so you really have no idea what it's doing behind the scenes. I prefer to have complete control over my disc on a spec level. I can handle the learning curve, and it's definitely an asset to have that kind of skill.

If you are just doing small titles, or working with non-studio clients, I'm sure it's fine. Just like using DVD Studio Pro for making DVDs.

As for the original post, you are getting the kinds of files you should be expecting. That's what 5.5+ does. If you have the wrong manual for the software, just download the correct on, it's on Sonic's support site. But, what you are looking for is called the FMXMounter. This will mount the mux in a 'virtual drive' (like how you would mount an .ISO to be accessible on your computer), then when you load Scenarist QC (or PowerDVD, whatever), it will see the virtual drive as a blu-ray disc.

In beta, there was a command-line tool called FMXCreate that would convert the mux directory to an ISO disc image. I'd like to think they've integrated that into the software somewhere, but it might still be command line. I believe it's also available as a separate download from the support site.
Old 14th April 2011, 08:31   #11  |  Link
Ghitulescu

One doesn't need scenarist to do this, both tsmuxer and multiavchd can do this easily and for free (donation).
Old 14th April 2011, 09:09   #12  |  Link
tymoxa

uridylylator
as rik1138 said - you need to mount Wrapping.img folder stored in "\solution\...\00.00.0000\Output\image\BDROM\Wrapping.img" with FMXMounter (doesn't work in Win7x64).
then just copy/burn/mount_to_daemon FSImage.img.
you must install driver for fmxmounter before mounting (FMXEmu_Install.inf)

Last edited by tymoxa; 14th April 2011 at 10:44.
tymoxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 15:04   #13  |  Link
lutinor

Quote:
Player compatibility would be a strong reason, also studio acceptance... The only disc I've seen from Netblender's 3D app crashed in two players, and didn't play 3D properly in the other... And this was the demo disc Netblender gave away to show off their product... I assume it's probably better now, but I couldn't even get a response out of anyone at Netblender as to why their demo disc didn't play correctly, so with that kind of support expectation I wouldn't bother with it. Despite the frequent complaining about Sonic support, I have never had a problem with them and usually get answers within 24 hours, frequently the same day... And the major studios will not use Netblender, so it's not even an option for me... Netblender is Java only (although I believe they had to implement HDMV mode for PS3 3D compatibility), not everyone wants Java menus on their disc. There's really no reason to use Java menus for a simple style disc (well, maybe the graphics dithering issue...).

For HDMV, I assume it's abstraction layer programming, so you really have no idea what it's doing behind the scenes. I prefer to have complete control over my disc on a spec level. I can handle the learning curve, and it's definitely an asset to have that kind of skill.

If you are just doing small titles, or working with non-studio clients, I'm sure it's fine. Just like using DVD Studio Pro for making DVDs.

As for the original post, you are getting the kinds of files you should be expecting. That's what 5.5+ does. If you have the wrong manual for the software, just download the correct on, it's on Sonic's support site. But, what you are looking for is called the FMXMounter. This will mount the mux in a 'virtual drive' (like how you would mount an .ISO to be accessible on your computer), then when you load Scenarist QC (or PowerDVD, whatever), it will see the virtual drive as a blu-ray disc.

In beta, there was a command-line tool called FMXCreate that would convert the mux directory to an ISO disc image. I'd like to think they've integrated that into the software somewhere, but it might still be command line. I believe it's also available as a separate download from the support site.
Netblender with his java style have huge advantage imo, especially if you have many titles on the disc. I use it since long without probleme (but i don't use in 3d, only 2d movie)
Old 14th April 2011, 20:04   #14  |  Link
DvdOne

HDMV Products

I'm sorry you had troubles with the 3D demo disc. Is this a recent issue, or was this the disc that was released at NAB 2010? We work hard to make sure we respond to everyone and I'd like to look into why we didn't respond to your requests. If you'd like please feel free to contact me via my blog at: http://netblender.ning.com/profile/Denny I'll look into this right away.

One thing that has changed within the past year is that our product line has grown a lot.

DSA Indie which is used in 31 countries and over 2,000 titles have been replicated with this version. It is fully compliant with the BD specification and we work with Blu-Focus to ensure the discs work on more then 45+ Blu-ray players.

DSA EX This version allows you to create complete HDMV discs. It isn't an abstraction tool but instead you program at the spec level. It used the IG Editor by DVD Logic, which is also compatible with Scenarist. This version is just about one year old and is used in many countries and has been used to create hundreds of titles.

DSA 3D - This version uses the EX menu system to create HDMV 3D discs. This is great because it plays in 3D on the PS3 as well as the more advanced 3D players, and every 2D player on the market. There are several titles out that use this version and A LOT of the sampler discs that come with Blu-ray players were created with this version. Also many in-store demo discs were created with this version.

We've also introduced a fully customized automated capture, encode and authoring system with advanced API support, called ScreamerNet. Allowing you to set up templates to automated the Blu-ray workflow.

One of our goals has been to ensure that we at NetBlender aren't building something without real world feedback. So we recently started the Experts Corner program in which real world authors write tips on how they use one of the DoStudio products at their company. This Experts Corner demonstrates a project created with our 3D version: http://netblender.ning.com/profiles/...-real-world-3d and for a sample of companies who use our tools please check out this page here: http://www.netblender.com/main/custo...sing-dostudio/

Cheers,

Denny

Quote:

DvdOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 04:24   #15  |  Link
rik1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
One doesn't need scenarist to do this, both tsmuxer and multiavchd can do this easily and for free (donation).
My understanding is that neither of these can actually properly mux a 3D disc... Has that changed? I haven't really tried to mess with 3D discs before, so I might be wrong on that...
Old 15th April 2011, 04:39   #16  |  Link
rik1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdOne View Post
I'm sorry you had troubles with the 3D demo disc. Is this a recent issue, or was this the disc that was released at NAB 2010? We work hard to make sure we respond to everyone and I'd like to look into why we didn't respond to your requests. If you'd like please feel free to contact me via my blog at: http://netblender.ning.com/profile/Denny I'll look into this right away.
You guys did a demo/presentation of your 3D software at DTS's offices in Calabasas early last year I think... Back in the beginning of 3D. You gave out a demo disc of a concert of some kind. We have the same player you had on display, and two others. The disc worked on the similar player model, but the 3D looked weird (granted, this could have been entirely the fault of the content), but the disc wouldn't load at all on one other player, and was only playing in 2D on the 3rd player. I contacted someone a Netblender about it at that time, and never got a response... We didn't have an immediate need for 3D authoring at the time, so it wasn't pursued further. I think I have the contact info I sent the message to somewhere, I believe it was the person in charge of the demo at DTS... I asked about it on an Email list a couple of times in response to someone from Netblender on the list, never got a response there either.

Like I mentioned above, I'm sure what ever kinks were present at the time have been ironed out by now, 3D seems to be working pretty consistently these days, and your software definitely has the price-point advantage! Just kind of surprised at the lack of response at the time.