Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 19th October 2014, 16:37   #841  |  Link
johnmeyer

If you are only seeing problems around moving objects, it could be the RemoveDirt plugin. You could try reducing the dirt setting down to 1.

As for recommended starting point for settings, the values in my version of VideoFred's script are the values I always start with. If I make any changes, those changes are almost always reductions. I generally reduce the sharpening settings down to about 1/2 of those starting values. I also often use 1/2 the motion stabilization settings, and also reduce the stabilization crop values by the same proporation so as not so lose too much of the border.

The following link takes you to some of my film transfers. Only those uploaded in the last two years have been put through these restoration scripts, so make sure to check the upload date before playing the film. Those uploaded from 2011 and earlier are just transfers, without restoration.

John Meyer Film Transfers
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 17:42   #842  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by papcom View Post

@poisondeathry - thank You for the hint with the ffmpeg. I wonder whether it will be able to output a prores mov file from within a Win PC?
Yes, that's what I said above, prores. From PC, Linux or Mac

"This allows you to export a variety of formats, including MOV, prores, etc..."

Note, the ffmpeg / ffmbc variant of prores isn't "Apple certified". It's essentially a "hacked" version. It works fine in most Mac programs like FCP/ FCPX, but some have problems with it (e.g. Resolve), some have gamma issues with it. So make sure you test your end to end workflow on a sample first

Last edited by poisondeathray; 19th October 2014 at 17:45.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 22:07   #843  |  Link
papcom

does anybody have a verified link to the most new stable Version of Virtual Dub Mod?
The links I tried always lead to some unknown sources which all ask for the installation of "Corona" whatever this is?!
Old 20th October 2014, 00:04   #844  |  Link
creaothceann

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VirtualdubMOD
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 00:05   #845  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I dont know which is the most stable, all I can say is that I'm using the most stable that I'm aware of, that be 1.5.10.3, build 2550
which had the Fizick (I think) fix for the script editor. (Some earlier builds screwed up the editor, ie edits made in VDdub, mis-inserted in
avisynth [all out by one frame]).

What I really do want to know is, WHERE IS SOURCE FOR VDUBMOD 1.5.10.3 BUILD 2550. (Just 1.5.10.2/3 would do, I have the patch).

EDIT: I wanted to try to insert DubMod editor into current VDub.

EDIT: There is a (I think) French VDubMod of about v1.7, but they also ****ed up the Vdub avisynth script editor.
EDIT: French version was 1.7.8 (with bad script editor), [think they called it '......ModPlus'].

EDIT: Suggest creaothceann's VdubMod link, Videohelp one, 3rd link down ie "More download options: Download VirtualdubMOD 1.5.10.3 (direct link)", I would not touch any others, all probably broken.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th October 2014 at 00:56.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 01:09   #846  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papcom View Post
BTW ... how can I adjust the Blacks and the Whites for the autoloevels in Your script? I could not find it yet. (In Videofred's script there are the parameters: "autolev_low and _high)

What denoising parameters do you use? I operated with values such between 90 and 600 (strenght) and 6 (denoising Frames). I adjusted it from a subjective point of view.
I think you really should be using VideoFred's script rather than my adaptation. I've already made my point that without MT my script has very few advantages. Also, you obviously want to use autolevels and, as I mentioned before, VideoFred spent a lot of time improving that in his latest scripts. However, I didn't port over any of that to my version of his scripts.

So, forget that my script exists, and use his instead.
Old 20th October 2014, 07:11   #847  |  Link
szabi

Hi

I have a 8mm film transfer in canopus DV-AVI format, with this parameters: 720×576@16.66fps.
Now I try to use "01_B_Film_Restoring_Frame_Blending.avs" script to improve it.
In script only modified this parameters:
Code:
trim_begin=0  trim_end=0 play_speed= 16.6666
This is the outcome:

The quality is away from the sample videos which demonstrating the power of this script.
What else did I miss?

bye
szabi
szabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 14:54   #848  |  Link
papcom

@szabi - a canopus dv avi cannot have 16.666 fps. Also You cannot process interlaced material in this script. It makes a mess. And the canopus DV AVi Codec is interlaced with lower fields priority. Will not work like this.

Anyway the Color Result You Show is not correct but even better than the original, although I am not sure whether this amount of color correction You'd like can be made with this script.
Old 20th October 2014, 16:57   #849  |  Link
johnmeyer

1. Your film transfer must be frame accurate (one frame of video for each frame of film). If you have any frame blends, or any temporal difference between fields (interlacing), the script will not work, at all.

2. For your initial work with the script, make sure that the frame rate you specify in the script matches the source frame rate. You do not want to confuse the issue by blending, synthesizing, or duplicating frames. You can add that feature at the end of your work, just before you render.

3. Turn down all the sharpening parameters. There is too much sharpening in your clip.

4. Forget about the color and level corrections. Use "S4" which removes both of these features. They are not working at all on this clip and are making a mess of things.
Old 20th October 2014, 17:14   #850  |  Link
johnmeyer

P.S.

Here is a link to one of my initial posts in this thread where I first discover that the default sharpening settings in the script can create chaos when applied to film that is old, dirty, and grainy. Remember, VideoFred's settings are designed for modern film that is in really good shape. The still shots I post in the link below show what happens when those settings are used on old, dirty, grainy film. I think you will see some of the same problems in my snapshots that are seen in the post above.

Too Much Sharpening in Film Restoration Script
Old 20th October 2014, 19:28   #851  |  Link
szabi

I know what the input requirement, and my source is fullfill it.
I did read your linked post. It was written year 2010.
Since that, Fred implement "RemoveDirt" which active with "result1" setting.
Now I try variant of parameters how to get better output, but not easy.

bye
szabi
Old 20th October 2014, 19:49   #852  |  Link
johnmeyer

If you can post a few seconds of your source film, I can try to find some settings which work better than what you are doing.
Old 20th October 2014, 21:32   #853  |  Link
szabi

Yes, I appreciate your help, link sent via PM.
Hopefully it can be downloaded.
Thnx.

bye
szabi

Last edited by szabi; 20th October 2014 at 21:35.
Old 20th October 2014, 22:09   #854  |  Link
johnmeyer

I've downloaded it, but I don't have the ffvh codec. I can play it in VLC, but can't edit it. I'm working on trying to get that codec without having to install a "codec pack," something that should be avoided at all costs.

I'll post again if I can get your video into my editing system.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:04   #855  |  Link
creaothceann

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
I'm working on trying to get that codec without having to install a "codec pack," something that should be avoided at all costs.
But... why?

Anyway, just convert it e.g. with mencoder.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:16   #856  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaothceann View Post
[url=http://haruhichan.com/KCP ]But... why?
Because of dozens of posts in the Sony Vegas forum about major malware (or at least adware) issues with codec packs such as K-Lite.

I am unable to open the video or to transcode it with VLC. In order to at least do a little something with it, I'm uploading it to YouTube and then will download from there, basically using it as a transcoding engine.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:31   #857  |  Link
johnmeyer

Well, I'm stumped. I can't figure out how to install the codec, or how to convert the file into something I can edit.

So, I am sorry, I won't be able to help on this one.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:36   #858  |  Link
creaothceann

Even mencoder (mplayer)?
Old 20th October 2014, 23:54   #859  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

John, this will convert pretty much anything to either HuffYUV or UT_Video

Code:
setlocal

REM Where to Find ffmpeg
set FFMPEG="C:\BIN\ffmpeg.exe"

REM Where to get input file, No terminating Backslash, "." = current directory (ie where this *.BAT file is)
set INDIR="."

REM Where to place output file, No terminating Backslash.
set OUTDIR="D:\AVI"

FOR %%A IN (*.wmv *.mpg *.avi *.flv *.mov *.mp4 *.m4v *.RAM *.RM) DO (
     %FFMPEG% -i "%INDIR%\%%A" -vcodec huffyuv -acodec pcm_s16le "%OUTDIR%\%%~nxA.AVI"
REM  %FFMPEG% -i "%INDIR%\%%A" -vcodec utvideo -acodec pcm_s16le "%OUTDIR%\%%~nxA.AVI"

)

Pause
You can probably add a few extensions of choice to the 'FOR %%A IN'
line and if UT_Video required then REM out the HuffYUV line and un-REM the UT_Video line.
The rest should be straight forward.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 00:14   #860  |  Link
poisondeathray

or You can probably use ffms2 to open it in avisynth

Nothing to install or convert, just a LoadPlugin for the .dll (or LoadCPlugin if using 2.6.x version)

FFVideoSource("video.avi")
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote